100 pages of RT-N16 post Condensed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
DGenerateKane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the steps to install the 3.x firmware, but when doing step three, it never finished flashing. it counted down all the way to zero, and still said please wait. 10 minutes later still please wait. I now have a brick. I just tried a 30-30-30 reset and still a brick. Am I screwed?
Sponsor
abvogel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
It appears to have soft bricked my device (if I have the correct terminology).

1) I installed the recommended trx file
2) Cleared nvram
3) Installed the 2.x big bin file
4) Cleared nvram
5) Installed the 3.x big bin file without "reset to defaults"
6) Immediately installed the 3.x trx file without "reset to default" and it never came back from restart when I did this.

Did I do a step wrong? Now to figure out how to recover the device to try again.

Update: I dropped to the ASUS Failsafe mode and loaded the stock firmware. Did a reset, reinstalled DDWRT. Did a reset and I'm currently sitting on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) big - build 22118.
DGenerateKane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
After some difficulty I was able to flash a new firmware in recovery. Tried the same steps again to flash a 3.x firmware, and this time it worked. Go figure.

Oh, my LAN and Wireless MAC addresses are the same, but I honestly don't know what the significance of that is. In a previous post it sounded like it would make internet unavailable, but both wired and wireless is working fine. Should I change it?
hching
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Honestly, it didn't work with me the first time as well. I roughly did what you did to get 3.X to load. Who knows, maybe the recovery attempts led to some default initializations that made it work.. After that, I didn't have another rt-n16 to thoroughly test the steps.

Maybe an advice for people who are planning to try this is to have the Asus recovery tool ready. The tool works.

Good for you that internet works the first time. For me, internet didn't work when I first connected the newly flashed device to my ISP (though it works when it was behind another router I have). I think it was because the WAN interface didn't get a valid MAC address and my ISP refused to talk to it. A final NVRAM reset generated a MAC for me and that I was ready to go.

However, I think it was advised that we should provide alternative MAC addresses to both the WAN and the WLAN interfaces using the startup script for security purpose. Hope I got this right.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, i recommend you change the mac addresses to what they should be. you don;t want some flaky behaviour to occur. there is a condition where a invalid mac address will cause the dhcp server not to provide an ip address. in some instances, dd-wrt will give some routers a generic broadcom mac that could be in use by someone. it happened on my WRT64Gv6. If your ISP detects a duplicate, you could run into an issue. I have seen cases where PCs mac address reports itself as 00:00:00:00:00. that's obviously wrong.

took me alot of trial and error to get the 3.x build working. alot of soft bricks and running the Asus recovery. a few times i thought I bricked my unit irreparably. none of this is an exact science. still a little voodoo involved. it;s beta software.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
DGenerateKane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the WAN MAC address is different, it is just the LAN and Wireless MAC addresses that are the same. Should I still change it?
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think you should but it;s your router. the LAN, WAN and WLAN addresses should all be unique and in sequential order. if you don;t fix it, you never know when you might run into a problem caused by some mysterious situation. it;s not hard to fix. just a couple of commands in the Administration section.

But if it works for you, then you could always go with "if it isn;t broken, don;t fix it".

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

jdubin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an RT-N16 that I'm trying to get going with OpenVPN. No other features are important to me; I only want a stable OpenVPN server to use in a "road warrior" configuration. Based on what I read in the last few pages, I installed build 19519... but I've spent hours trying to figure out why I'm getting TLS errors, only to later read that 19519 might be buggy for OpenVPN.

So, can someone recommend a stable, working build which has a solid OpenVPN server? Again, I don't need the latest kernel, a ton of extra features, etc. -- just stable OpenVPN.

Thank you!
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
jdubin wrote:
I have an RT-N16 that I'm trying to get going with OpenVPN. No other features are important to me; I only want a stable OpenVPN server to use in a "road warrior" configuration. Based on what I read in the last few pages, I installed build 19519... but I've spent hours trying to figure out why I'm getting TLS errors, only to later read that 19519 might be buggy for OpenVPN.

So, can someone recommend a stable, working build which has a solid OpenVPN server? Again, I don't need the latest kernel, a ton of extra features, etc. -- just stable OpenVPN.

Thank you!

Try this: http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K26/r22200/kingkong-nv32k-broadcom.bin

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

nashant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm on the 22000 build, have been for a few months, and have just started getting VERY frequent wireless dropouts. It reconnects, but severely unresponsive. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect to fix the problem. Anyone got any hints?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
nashant wrote:
I'm on the 22000 build, have been for a few months, and have just started getting VERY frequent wireless dropouts. It reconnects, but severely unresponsive. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect to fix the problem. Anyone got any hints?

Build 22200 is better.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

DomFel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using Kong build 22000 on my RT-N16, I'm having the following issue with OpenVPN: on the vpn status page I keep getting this

Code:
20140104 13:27:45 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:16
20140104 13:27:45 D MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state'
20140104 13:27:45 MANAGEMENT: Client disconnected
20140104 13:27:45 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:16
20140104 13:27:45 D MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log 500'

Tried TCP and UDP connection but same thing. MTU size is correct (1500), switched different server but same issue. NVram shows 27.5k/32k.
The VPN connection seems stable up.
Any idea on this???
Thanks
dcoker2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok guys newbie here. I have successfully flashed my ASUS RT-N16 with Kong 22200 build. I have a 250G HDD connected to my router via USB and mounted to /jffs. The HDD mounts successfully. I then enable minidlna server and SAMBA for file sharing. Minidlna works as I can see it on my Samsung TV, however I do not see any of the movie files that I have on the HDD. I logged into my RT-N16 via telnet and went to the directory /jffs and I do not see any of the folders that I created. I then logged into the router via a web browser on port 8200 and I do not see and video files. Any assistance or tweaks to get this working would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a file with my config.

root@AVENGER:/tmp# cat minidlna.conf
port=8200
network_interface=br0
media_dir=A,/jffs/shares/Music
media_dir=P,/jffs/shares/Pictures
media_dir=V,/jffs/shares/Videos
friendly_name=COKERHOUZZ
db_dir=/jffs/minidlnadb
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg
inotify=yes
enable_tivo=no
strict_dlna=no
presentation_url=http://192.168.0.2:8200
notify_interval=240
serial=12345678
model_number=1

root@AVENGER:/tmp# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /jffs type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
root@AVENGER:/tmp#

root@AVENGER:/tmp# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /jffs type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
root@AVENGER:/tmp#
milanolarry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="jdubin"]I have an RT-N16 that I'm trying to get going with OpenVPN. No other features are important to me; I only want a stable OpenVPN server to use in a "road warrior" configuration. Based on what I read in the last few pages, I installed build 19519... but I've spent hours trying to figure out why I'm getting TLS errors, only to later read that 19519 might be buggy for OpenVPN.

Thank you![/quote]

I've tried more than 20 builds on my RT-N16; in my opinion, 15943 is the most stable build, even better than 22200.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
just wondering but if all you need is occasional remote access by a client machine, why not just use the built in PPTP server?

Common F.A.Q.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: