100 pages of RT-N16 post Condensed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
geonjay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I've been on 16994 for two weeks now. I haven't had to reboot due to unresponsiveness yet. However, I HAVE had to reboot because of waning signal strength. I posted about this earlier and had assumed that bumping the power to 20 would help - it does, but not for the reasons I thought. I have lowered the power back to 17 and after 2-3 days my signal strength will be extremely weak (on my laptop, the wife's laptop, and the nook). If I reboot the router I'm back to full strength (on all 3 devices) for another 2 or 3 days. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known bug with 16994. I'd much rather have the stability of 16994 over the once-a-week drop on 14929...but technically 14929 has me rebooting less than 16994.
Sponsor
kaktus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same Problems with two rt-n16 connected with wds. After a while the signal strength goes down. Only a reboot helps.

Also running build 16994

See my other post:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=633338
Novorei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the powerdown, reboot, freeze, issue please check the capacitors.

No leak down may be present so you need to add another capacitor and test.

Specific for the CE1 cap. the symptoms are:
1- Power down just before the wifi led should light up.
2- Unit only occasionally power up by plugging in/out the energy.
3- Wifi not functional.

In fact I added a normal and a film cap. for every capacitor. All the problems and hang-ups went away.

My unit is rev 1.2. The CE4 is empty and all caps are black from S.ELCON and TAICON.

The S.ELCON 470uf 25v has already been reported of being defective on another router website.
lightman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
what are the latest experiences with this router?
wich build is the most stable, because i gonna use sip (voice) over this router so i cant use freezes etc..
digixmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
lightman wrote:
what are the latest experiences with this router?
wich build is the most stable, because i gonna use sip (voice) over this router so i cant use freezes etc..

FWIW, I've run my new RT-N16 as a WDS-linked secondary AP for over a week now using build 14929 Mega without any issue so far.

1x WHR-G300N v1
1x WRT300N v1.1
1x RT-N16
1x WNR3500L
coolcup
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
review:
I just installed eko built 15943 mini usb nas on my newly purchase,rt-n16. playing on it for a week. I tend to keep the setup menu simple, so only choose the mini built this time. (i have been using 3rd party mod for yeas and was using more feature builds for previous routers).

special modification:
1.Separated a Lan port for a guest network(it will hook up another AP with QOS in place), some iptables involve.
2.under wireless tab, channel width 40mhz, control channel upper, TX power 16,ACK timing 0

other than the above change, my setting is very standard.

The result is really good for my case. I can achieve 300mbps on wireless download with a 2 years old laptop(N), iphone 4,a 3 years old pc(netgear wn1111 N adapter),and 2 wired PC working at the same time. The web page respond is faster and smoother than my retired wl-500gpv2, dd-wrt on it too. This is really a great upgrade for me.

hope this will help some new comers.
lancethepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 23:54    Post subject: Re: Ver 15943 stable and fully operational on RT-N16 Reply with quote
vertigo235 wrote:

does tomatoeusb work well with mixed mode? I'll consider that although it's not my first choice

It does. The community has become very active recently, as the head developer teddy_bear, has been making quite a few commits. Among the mods, you have a couple choices of wireless drivers too.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html
hautkarl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for compiling this info. My recent experience fixing poor wireless performance is below.

On build 16994_big, my router's wireless would fade down to <5.5Mbit in under 10 minutes. I was setup in Client mode, G-only, 10 'TX power', Ch. 6, SNR ~40. A restart would fix it but not for long. This unit is 12 months old so the hardware >should< be healthy! I have cooled the CPU and switch chip to avoid heat issues.

I flashed to ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn15943-snow/ and the connection is always 54mbps. Performance is now much better!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) big
(SVN revision 15778) on mine and it works well.

going to install a new one soon, I may just use the same build, unless someone recommends better.

doesn't seem to be one version that works best, luck of the draw i guess.

thx
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
you guys asking about tomato:

flash it and test. see if it works out for you with the features you need.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have beeen using the same firmware on my Asus RT-N16 since I first flashed DD-WRT. I used the one that was linked to on the wiki. I bet there is some new updates since I installed, so witch firmware is recommended atm? Im not very familiar with the different builds so all help is appreciated.

EDIT: Im currently using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/08/11) mega
(SVN revision 16994)
snorlax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
muerte33 wrote:
I am using the 16214 BIG build for the RT-N16 and the reason being, I could not figure out how to get NTFS to work on the MEGA. Under the BIG build, I plugged in my 2TB USB Fantom Drive, and it came up and worked perfectly. I did not have to do any optware scripts, or bizarre partitioning. It is just one big NTFS partition.
The only problem I have with 16214 is Logging.
I put a post on the main forum, but no replies.
I cannot get any syslog info after the initial boot
to go to Kiwi or Wallwatcher. I know it is putting info out there because I can do a dmesg and see it.
I know the syslogd is running because I see it in TOP. It also shows messages under the Security tab for Outgoing and Incoming, just nothing gets to Kiwi.

As for TX power "setting", I hesitate to put anything above 17 after reading that it may be DB and not MW. This is scary! Another reason why you should always do a erase nvram I guess. This router runs pretty cool using the 17 setting.

I have an N client that connects properly to this 16214 too, that is about all I can report, I don't have a G to test.

UPDATE:
Did a
erase nvram
reboot
Entered back all my settings, and logging works fine now.

Is this plug-and-play? I also want to setup a NAS, but I'm not sure what build to use, and I want to avoid using Optware and bizarre partitioning if at all possible, as I'm not too familiar with Linux systems. Also, how are you accessing the network drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a RT-N16 flashed with 16994 Mega (May 8 2011) as a primary and set up a WRT54G v6 flashed with a stable mini build as a wireless repeater. So far it seems to work decent, except it suffers from weak or spotty wireless strength. Some earlier posts in this thread have reported waning wireless strength on 16994 as well. This makes me think that 14929 may be a better build, but other posts have reported router lockups using 14929. Any suggestions?
redsting
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
hautkarl wrote:
Thanks for compiling this info. My recent experience fixing poor wireless performance is below.

On build 16994_big, my router's wireless would fade down to <5.5Mbit in under 10 minutes. I was setup in Client mode, G-only, 10 'TX power', Ch. 6, SNR ~40. A restart would fix it but not for long. This unit is 12 months old so the hardware >should< be healthy! I have cooled the CPU and switch chip to avoid heat issues.

I flashed to ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn15943-snow/ and the connection is always 54mbps. Performance is now much better!

Cheers.

Hey hautkarl,
Thanks for this post. I tried 15943-snow and it works perfect. Till I downgraded versions, I was having the same issues as you. I have a 25Mb connection and it was dropping to .2-1 Mb after only a day or less. A daily reboot only helped for a few hours. Now my connection holds stead at 20-25 Mb with no reboots and my wireless is always happy.
ENDer2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrboonmee wrote:
I have been using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) big
(SVN revision 15778) on mine and it works well.

going to install a new one soon, I may just use the same build, unless someone recommends better.

doesn't seem to be one version that works best, luck of the draw i guess.

thx

I had this version and it was OK.
Upgraded to 18024 big and now I have wireless problems, lag and transmission errors.
zasarle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
This firmware fixed everything for me. Tried to use the latest/greatest firmware with no luck. Downgraded to this and see stability. Also using same settings. Thanks coolcup!

coolcup wrote:
review:
I just installed eko built 15943 mini usb nas on my newly purchase,rt-n16. playing on it for a week. I tend to keep the setup menu simple, so only choose the mini built this time. (i have been using 3rd party mod for yeas and was using more feature builds for previous routers).

special modification:
1.Separated a Lan port for a guest network(it will hook up another AP with QOS in place), some iptables involve.
2.under wireless tab, channel width 40mhz, control channel upper, TX power 16,ACK timing 0

other than the above change, my setting is very standard.

The result is really good for my case. I can achieve 300mbps on wireless download with a 2 years old laptop(N), iphone 4,a 3 years old pc(netgear wn1111 N adapter),and 2 wired PC working at the same time. The web page respond is faster and smoother than my retired wl-500gpv2, dd-wrt on it too. This is really a great upgrade for me.

hope this will help some new comers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: