Windows 7 "freeze" the router...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Magister wrote:
After a year with this problem, I installed Tomato 1.28 on my router : problem solved, I can reboot the W7 laptop 10 times and the connection on the XP laptop stay connected and solid, nothing in the log.

It clearly shows it's a bug of dd-wrt only.

After a year denotes you are running an older build. Try 14929 Mega. There is nothing wrong here. Change to NG-Mixed and use WPA2 Personal w/ AES encryption.

Windows XP has issues with WPA/WPA2 authentication, so make sure the wireless drivers are up to date on the XP machine. Also, disable the "allow PC to disable this device to conserve power" in the drivers advanced settings..

TomatoUsb uses newer wireless binaries as well as a "proper" linux kernel, so you may find that you like it..

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
Sponsor
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 22:03    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 "freeze" the router... Reply with quote
Magister wrote:
I have a WRT-160N CSE51xxx, I tried dozens of firmware from I think 13309 to 16214.

Honestly, I think I would like to know where the 16214 firmware is at. Either that is a mistype, or the operator did not do enough troubleshooting to figure out the issue.

Edit: I was speaking out of my end side and being a slight bit sarcastic. Magister still needs to do a bit of troubleshooting to figure the problem out.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.

Last edited by crashfly on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to weigh in that there must be something odd going on with your setup to cause that Magister. Even when I had my WRT160Nv3 (CSE51) running NG-Mixed (ie. experiencing the dropping issue) I didn't see rebooting my Win7 laptop affecting any of my other connections.

Off the top of my head: How old is your XP?.. probably not something you'll want to jump at to try, but maybe a clean install off a XP SP3 CD would help, since XP has been known to be hokey once updates accumulate. Another thought is, have you tried a different wireless card on the XP machine yet? Or at least made sure you've got the newest wireless card drivers on both machines?

Sure, it might only happen when DD-WRT is installed, but that doesn't mean it's not a weird edge case incompatibility that could be resolved OS-side.
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not seen any trouble with the three Win7 computers I use to access the DD-WRT GUI. I don't even flush any cache and such and still have little to no trouble. Interesting that you are??

My wife has a Toby Satillite with Win7 on it I could try if you like. Hers is the A215 S4747 model.
thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed your link from the other post regarding your problem with 160n v3.

Yes I did have a look at tomato, however I am familiar with dd-wrt and will hang with it. I hope the dev's here will see this dropping issue as a challenge to resolve, but I know they or suspect they are kept quite busy with such a large client base to tend to.

I run both vista ultimate and win 7 ultimate with xp sp3 an sp2 patched for multiple RDT connection "mini server" and have no issues, like the one you experienced. However I do recall something similar over the past year but it was a network issue, not real sure what the resolution was, maybe I cloned the MAC of the primary computer.

My setup is a two/wire DSL modem wide open with DMZ enabled on the wrt-160n v3 #cfe51. All my lan to lan goes through the 160n, well Vista is a "..". and the only way I can use lan on it is to RDP to an xp box then back to vista through the lan. Win 7 does not seem to have this issue. My laptop has 7 and Vista on it but I usually run Vista. there are no easily found drivers for xp for my laptop or else it would be on here!

I think in the end I had to ensure the two/wire grabbed the 160n mac and register that with the isp, after that there were no issue like yours.

I realize that is neither here nor there since you changed over two plan B.

Cheers

Thomas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: