Running OpenVPN with password authentication on DD-WRT?

Missing Person
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:19    Post subject: Running OpenVPN with password authentication on DD-WRT? Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-N12 router that I flashed with DD-WRT and OpenVPN. I'm wanting to set up my router to use this service: www.surfbouncer.com

Not only do that have an authorization key and a certificate, but they also require a username and password for authentication. When I try to set this up in DD-WRT, these are the only fields available:

Does anyone know how, or if it's even possible, to set up an OpenVPN account such as this in DD-WRT?
Sponsor
UA_Iron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the same issue on my RT-N16.

It's looking like you'll have to build a startup command to write the username and password to a configuration file stored on on the router.

I've put in a good 8 hours searching for the solution, and I'm sure others have had the same issue. I'm working on the startup command and will report back.

It'd be nice if the GUI had the username and password entry so no script would have to be created.
UA_Iron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with this tutorial here and see if you can get anywhere:

http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Router_configuration
Missing Person
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't even have an additional config field to work with, so I don't know what to do.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which firmware ?

14929 does not have the additonal options. You have to be clever with the startup scripts and sed http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html to make the changes in the openvpn.conf for you

FWIW, I am runnning v15962 on WNR3500Ls and E3000s and I have those extended options available to me.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Have a play, learn and report back

Cheers
Chris
lancethepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should push you in the right direction. It atleast works great for me with the firmware named in the post, though I'm sure it could easily be adapted.

http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/openvpn-username-password-authentication.32559/#post-160772
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: