OpenVPN - at the end of my rope. Please help!

pockets
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 15:20    Post subject: OpenVPN - at the end of my rope. Please help! Reply with quote
Hi everyone.

(This is a long post. If you want the thumbnail, just Ctrl-F for "In short".)

I've been running OpenVPN for years on a WRT54GL, DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/21/09) vpn (SVN revision 12533). Thursday we had a power drop, and when the router came back up, it was experiencing an issue I've seen before where the wireless SSID would not broadcast unless wireless encryption was off, and the wireless showed as 0 OK, 99 errors (etc). Removing the VPN configs from the startup script fixed that issue but (of course) disabled VPN. When I tried to config via the GUI, /var/logs/messages showed:

DD-WRT daemon.err openvpn[751]: Cannot open dh.pem for DH parameters: error:02001002:lib(2):func(1):reason(2): error:2006D080:lib(32):func(109):reason(128)

But poking around the filesystem gave:

root@DD-WRT:/tmp/openvpn# cat openvpn.conf | grep dh.pem
dh /tmp/openvpn/dh.pem

root@DD-WRT:/tmp/openvpn# ls dh*
dh.pem

Since this is in production, and since every reconfiguration knocked the whole site off the net, we decided to get a brand new WRT54GL and configure it in parallel. That has been flashed (apparently successfully) to dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin (from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/ per http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486 ) I'm configuring and testing that inside our network - we use 192.168.123.*/24, the new router has 192.168.123.132 as a WAN ip and 10.1.9.*/24 on the LAN side.

Now VPN connects, but default gateways don't seem to be set up right. I've tried my old configs and every config that google can find me (example: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=346687), but the closest I have been able to get is either

a) the VPN connection has no default gateway:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.9.210
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
(should be 10.1.9.254) or

b) the VPN connection gets a default gateway, but the actual connection has its default gateway blanked out :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.136
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

which of course knocks it completely offline.

Oddly enough, the routing table shows a route to 10.1.9.0/255.255.255.0 via "On-link 10.1.9.210" with a metric of 286.

Also, no matter what I try or do, the OpenVPN tab under Status (Status_OpenVPN.asp) just shows:

State

Status

Log

I'm frustrated, I'm confused, and people are breathing down my neck.

In short: could some kind person who has bridged VPN working post their server and client config files so I can get this working?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: