100 pages of WRT160Nv3 posts condensed (Device thread)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
techuser: I've stayed on 15693 while waiting for the new Broadcom drivers in svn16540+ (no public build yet) since they could fix the droppage issue. 15693 works quite well for me and is pre-loopback issue as well. As thomas just mentioned, 15962 is also fine if you apply the manual loopback fix. After that the build sizes have gone weird (some too large to flash, etc.) so I'd advise holding off if you're looking for something stable.

thomas007: Last Seen will update the next time it sees it, drop in between or not, so unfortunately is not a good way to evaluate uptime. The Time Graph is useful in seeing the drops but 2.0+ limits the graph to the last 5 minutes; see if you can hunt down 1.x as it was longer.
Sponsor
thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
osmosis wrote:
techuser: I've stayed on 15693 while waiting for the new Broadcom drivers in svn16540+ (no public build yet) since they could fix the droppage issue. 15693 works quite well for me and is pre-loopback issue as well. As thomas just mentioned, 15962 is also fine if you apply the manual loopback fix. After that the build sizes have gone weird (some too large to flash, etc.) so I'd advise holding off if you're looking for something stable.

thomas007: Last Seen will update the next time it sees it, drop in between or not, so unfortunately is not a good way to evaluate uptime. The Time Graph is useful in seeing the drops but 2.0+ limits the graph to the last 5 minutes; see if you can hunt down 1.x as it was longer.

Alright found ver 1 - took snapshot then uninstalled ver2 - Ver1 is now running so I will attempt to produce a accurate validation for cfe51.

Ver2 is much nicer also has useful filters, maybe they will extend the time stamp in the next upd.

Thanks
thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will not string this along any more but these efforts have produced results for my wrt160n v3 cfe51.

IMO the signal drop acts like random hardware issues similar to random errors when overclocking with insufficient cooling. There may be firmware / driver issues here but the oem firm also has signal issues. Maybe it is a combination of both but in my case it seems to be resolved as I have been using with out any noticeable drops occurring.

It was stated in the recapping thread that linksys has the tendency to under-power there routers. I agree and by replacing the .5amp (500ma) power adapter with a 1amp (1000ma) power adapter has helped.

Adding additional cooling has been also been beneficial because the cfe51 really gets hot IMO. Could be part of the problem.?

The capacitors chosen for the design are not optimal choice but acquiring quality caps with the right specs resorts to mail order. Mouser electronics or Digicom both have online and down-loadable catalogs.

Adding two ceramic filter caps really help to clean up the power supply before reaching the cfe51 on-board filtering circuit. Note: the additional filtering caps have really help to bring the temp down to a noticeable difference.

A few link of interest regarding capacitors, filtering ect.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=c6ea0070a2c9932c80a7c4ecf65fa897&f=10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_%28electrical%29

Sorry but I do not have the patience to sit here for hours on end and copy the 30min signal timer graph from inSSIDer. However I will paste an hour + worth of graph but I missed the last one by a few minutes.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

heatsink.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  344.62 KB
 Viewed:  17681 Time(s)

heatsink.jpg

ventilation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.5 KB

ventilation.jpg

1000ma.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.74 KB

1000ma.jpg

Last edited by thomas007 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:29; edited 1 time in total
thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The extra filter capacitors.[img][/img]

capicitor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.93 KB
 Viewed:  17678 Time(s)

capicitor.jpg

thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
inSSIDER v1 results - sorry you have to have lots of time and patience to not miss the 30 min increments.
[img][/img][img][img][/img]

I will post the last but I missed it by a few minutes so only 1hr 16min can be validated. I would be nice to be able to post several hours but there is no way I am going to sit here for that...

Cheers

Clipboard03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.12 KB
 Viewed:  17674 Time(s)

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.74 KB

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.83 KB

Clipboard01.jpg

thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The missed time..but really there was no signal drop that I am aware of.
[img][/img]

Clipboard04-missed-time.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.59 KB
 Viewed:  17672 Time(s)

Clipboard04-missed-time.jpg

thomas007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't.

But then one could ask why the issue is common on oem as well. The continual randomness of the occurrence causes me to doubt it is all firmware related. But I am no expert and there are many here who have a solid understanding / education in these issue.

I do not use Tomato firmware and have no intention to change...

The information I posted is only to share but in my case it has produced resolution to my signal dropping. The only prize I received was my signal is reliable.

\Just curious,how are you able to monitor and log the signal connection, for such an extended period of time.

Cheers

Note: there is also a penny on the Broadcom chip as well. Quality thermal compound was used and the hot glue is just there so the penny will not fall off when tilting the router.

Last edited by thomas007 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 18:51; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm thinking the stock firmware has older radio drivers than Tomato as well.
Genghis9021
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:47    Post subject: Tomato until . . . Reply with quote
First post and want to say thanks to everyone whose submitted a question and to those who tirelessly provide next steps and solutions. Both have assisted many, including me.

After 100+ pages I'm inclined to suspect software at the radio interface. That backtracking to earlier versions of CFE bins hasn't seemingly helped I'm considering supporting evidence.

My CSE51 drops 'N-only' connections like it's on crack.

I've tried 3 versions of DD-WRT, all recommended versions without taming the beast.

Tomato took 3 min to install and . . . Voila, no more drops.

Its my choice until DD-WRT is viable again.

My configuration is a 160NL with 160N as repeater-bridge. The NL runs Linksys v1.02 firmware without issue.

Kurt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, just to be clear, Tomato 1.28 works with the 160N v3? I was looking at the Tomato site and didn't see it listed there.
Genghis9021
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 0:08    Post subject: Tomato Reply with quote
Yes, it works.

And the Tomato firmware is rather silly hard to find.

First - http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-types

Second - http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-features-cross-reference

Third - http://tomatousb.org/download

There are definitely features missing in Tomato from the "generic" DD-WRT, nevermind the BS versions . . . but until a new version of DD-WRT is viable . . . TOMATO !

Last edited by Genghis9021 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54; edited 2 times in total
Hlt4668
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38    Post subject: just installe tomato Reply with quote
i have had dd-wrt on my wrt160n v3 for more than a year now, when i first bought it. tried many builds, most recently 16424. i just installed tomato per the instructions, though i ended up not needing the encoded password i had retrieved through telnet. it worked straight away and has fixed my signal dropping, i now have mixed mode wireless, and qos that works. my thoughput in g and n connections has improved. i will try the new ddwrt when the new broadcom build has been incorporated but until then i'm sticking with tomato Smile
r0cky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
So if I want VPN for instance, do I take this one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomatousb/files/Experimental%20%28beta%29/K26-MIPSR2/tomato-K26-1.28.9054MIPSR2-beta-vpn3.6.rar/download ?

Also can someone post a simple tutorial on how to install the tomato firmware? Is it the same as with the DD-WRT (30-30-30 Reset, before and after?!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Instead of everyone jumping ship to Tomato and filling up the DD-WRT forum with Tomato questions, has anyone tried one of the new builds out yet? ..They now have the newer radio drivers (like Tomato) and may also fix the drop problem (let us know!). I'd test but my unit is unavailable at a family member's house.
colecaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
At Osmosis suggestion I have loaded DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/11/11) vpn-small 16773M. I, too, have been having the wifi dropout on a CSE51 s/n. I'll keep an eye on it and report the results.

Edit: @2250 tonight it dropped out for about 1-2 minutes. The wifi light on the router was on during the dropout as were the WAN connect and power lights.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: