100 pages of WRT160Nv3 posts condensed (Device thread)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
ryanhall85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running the 19519 build for a couple months now without any problems. However over the past week or so, I've had to reboot the router due to inability to access the GUI. Right now, I can access it, but it's hosed. I'll try rebooting it, but this problem seems to be common. I'll try rebooting the router again, but it really shouldn't be necessary every couple weeks.

linksys.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.04 KB
 Viewed:  13975 Time(s)

linksys.JPG

Sponsor
ryanhall85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still nothing on this? It happened again after having the router up and running for less than 30 days.
ryanhall85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to try the latest test release from
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/10-12-12-r20119-testing/broadcom_K26/

I will post the results. short term and after 30 days to see if it fixed my issue.
ryanhall85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well after exactly 72 hours, everything is running smoothly. No disconnects, no need for reboots, and I can still access my routers web GUI without any problems. I can also use the time-gated "Access Restriction" feature without any problems (was a problem in a couple previous releases) If someone will post something so I know that ANYONE is reading ANYTHING I'm writing, I will continue to post updates on this latest release over time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha keep it coming. I'm interested even though I don't have a 160Nv3 anymore. Razz NG-Mixed working yet?
MrErr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ryanhall85 wrote:
Well after exactly 72 hours, everything is running smoothly. No disconnects, no need for reboots, and I can still access my routers web GUI without any problems. I can also use the time-gated "Access Restriction" feature without any problems (was a problem in a couple previous releases) If someone will post something so I know that ANYONE is reading ANYTHING I'm writing, I will continue to post updates on this latest release over time.

Anymore updates?

Could you also try rebooting it to see if any other problems arise.
jpalandra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ryanhall85 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. I'm trying that same bin as well now. I've had issues when connected to my work VPN so I'm willing to try anything at this point, was previously using 19519. I spent about 1/2 day trying to get Tomato to work with no luck. I was able to load the bin file fine and connect to an unsecured network, but everytime I tried changing the security settings to a secured network (WPA2 Personal) I wasn't able to connect the router nor get any internet access, not sure if anyone else had that experience but after two failed attempts I went back to dd-wrt. Ultimately I might have to break down and buy another router.
ryanhall85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK good, it's not dead. I figured there would be a lot of people who use this router. It's a decent, Linksys N router that's inexpensive and supports DD-WRT. That makes it a candidate for a large userbase (hence the thread reboot). Anyways...

After 10 days everything is still working perfectly. No needed reboots, no problems with time restrictions, no problems with MAC address-based Static IP assignments, no problems accessing the web GUI. So far so good. Very Happy

As far as rebooting... Rebooting by doing a simple power cycle worked without any problems. However selecting the [REBOOT ROUTER] button from the bottom of the "administration" page, did nothing.

I haven't tried the G/N mixed mode yet, but I've all but abandoned hope in regards to that working for this. I also don't know if I have any N specific devices in the house to test with. Any ideas on what to test with? We have a couple laptops that are b/g/n and and xbox that I think is too.
NewtoThis345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Ryan,

Glad to see someone finally has made some headway in solving this connection drop issue.

I've spent the last week and a half sifting through the ridiculous amount of crap here to come up with a solution.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I would be very interested to hear about your mixed GN performance. Since I am forced into a mixed environment, all my devices are N while the wifes are G :/ ...

If you don't have any G devices my suggestion would be to disable N on one of your laptops and force it to hook up with G, should be able to test that way.
Waldog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great info in the rebooted thread, thanks!

Been lurking on these forums for a while.

I have a wrt160n now for a while, and just upgraded to the latest firmware because of my wireless needs.

My situation is I have a need to get wireless signal to an AP/Extender in my detached garage, and I've tried everything I can think of to boost my signal enough to accomplish this task short of running a cable and bridging another wireless router inside of my garage.

Long story short, recently I've purchase two routers that I returned that turned out to perform WORSE than the wrt160n. One was a Cisco/Linksys E series and a small business class router.

I tried DD-WRT on the E series and it didn't help much at all. Those two routers would drop connection randomly or once a day even to my ISP.

Basically I always fall back to my wrt160n. It's been great for a long time and it USED to throw a really good signal to the far reaches of my property.

But since I built my garage the signal quality has declined. One source of my problem I discovered a while back was the 2.4GHZ wireless phones were causing interference so they are now gone.

Anyways, back to the question at hand.

Currently I get two bars in my garage from the wrt160n, and that's AFTER I have moved it to the center of my house. The garage is still about 30' from it's location (traveling through the house) and about 10' of that is outside distance between the two.

I'm using an RE1000 extender to grab this tiny signal and run wireless devices for exampled streaming pandora, and this works some days better than others.

After my last attempts I upgraded the firmware to the latest version on both the router and the RE1000 and I did note some improvement.

However, the router now drops out and I have to reboot it when I get home every day.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this got me thinking when I read Ryan's above.

It would appear that even linksys/cisco's firmware is not immune from the dropping issue.

My question to you all who have flashed your wrt160 with dd-wrt is... did you notice any significant improvement in signal strength?

I've been looking at routers again and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to spend $200 on the "higher end" routers that "claim" to have increase signal only to find myself in this same boat.

I plan on flashing my router tonight with dd-wrt to see if it helps the dropping issue and improves range, however, I wonder if I'm wasting my time, and should just buy another router, run dd-wrt on both with a hard wired bridge.

I've been avoiding that solution since I'd have to dig/climb in the attic and run the cable. :/

Again, sorry to be so long winded, just hoping to share my experience and glean any advice you all may have with regard to my situation.

Thanks.

-Waldog
Waldog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW,

I'm also in mixed mode due to legacy devices, etc.

-Waldog
urbanspaceman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running Fractal build 20202 for about two months now. Definitely no more connection drops.

ftp://ftp.barryware.net/Fractal%20Builds/DD-WRT-BINS/20202/
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
urbanspaceman wrote:
I've been running Fractal build 20202 for about two months now. Definitely no more connection drops.

ftp://ftp.barryware.net/Fractal%20Builds/DD-WRT-BINS/20202/

Interesting--I'm going to try one of those.

I'm thinking, then, we should go with a generic build as opposed to trailed (IOW, with the WRT160Nv3 model number in the filename)? If so, this might be good info to add to the first post in this thread, as if this build solves the connection issue, it would save a lot of reading through a handful of threads (as I've spent the last 90 minutes doing Wink ).
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rudy64 wrote:
Interesting--I'm going to try one of those.

Thus spoke Rudy. Mr. Green

Anyway, just a quick update. I've loaded the following:

ftp://ftp.barryware.net/Fractal%20Builds/DD-WRT-BINS/20202/dd-wrt.v24-20202_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

So far everything seems to be working, except for two things:

1) GUI doesn't refresh in 1 out of 3 actions. In other words, I can "Apply" a setting and the window never refreshes about a third of the time. Sometimes a reload (F5) will make it kick over; other times, no. Makes it difficult to configure the router. And, it's independent of browser, as I tried it in Chrome and IE10.

2) Still don't have wireless N working. I can get it to operate on N (where I can see the network's SSID using inSSIDer, and showing it is operating in N mode), but the devices cannot connect. It might be something else though...I have a few things to try.

Mine is the CSE41 serial of this modem, and following earlier recommendations in this thread, I've set transmit power to 119mw and overclocked it.

The ONLY thing not addressed: does this build need the manual loopback workaround? I haven't found anything to indicate if this build 20202 needs it or not--has this issue been fixed in this build? If it has been fixed, and this build uses the newer radio drivers, perhaps this might be "the one" to cure our WRT160Nv3 woes?

Otherwise this build has seemed stable enough for the few hours I've been running it. I'll let it run for the week and see if there's any change. Especially once I get my issues with wireless-N ironed out.
urbanspaceman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build I'm using is the mini one trailed with our model number.

ftp://ftp.barryware.net/Fractal%20Builds/DD-WRT-BINS/20202/dd-wrt.v24-20202_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-wrt160nv3.bin

Really, no bugs AT ALL so far. Wireless N is perfect, mixed mode is perfect. No disconnects, no GUI glitches. Nothing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: