Got dd-wrt working but not quite sure where to from here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gregstah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 17:06    Post subject: Got dd-wrt working but not quite sure where to from here Reply with quote
Hi, I have just bought a Linksys e1200 and successfully flashed it to run dd-wrt

This is all quite new to me and I'm not quite sure how to go about setting this up but this is what I'm aiming for. (pardon the "point-by-point" arrogance, it's not intended.)

Current Netgear Wired internet (DGN ADSL Modem Wireless Router, required as the e1200 has no modem) -> (LinkSys E1200 V2)Running dd-wrt

Need to be able to access network from outside using dyndns

Want to set up broadband monitoring via netflow and ntop

Should DHCP run on the netgear or the e1200

In a nutshell, I want to make the e1200 my primary but need an internet connection from my netgear and still need to be able to use remote desktop from outside... what would you suggest?

Thank you!

G

Last edited by gregstah on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since this is a broadcom based unit, i'm going to move it to its proper place.

Also i'd have to ask, what is 'netgear wired internet'? Or to put it more plainly, is this is required piece of hardware for your internet to work, is it a modem or..? More details on your isp type etc may be helpful in providing suggestions for your question..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
gregstah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12    Post subject: Apoligies Budee and all for posting like a twat! Reply with quote
I have corrected the original post above as was rightly required Smile Thank you for your assistance budee.

Hardware I'm using:
Netgear DGN-2000 Wireless Modem Router
Linksys e1200 V2 - Supports dd-wrt
Linksys firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) mega

In answer to the questions:

To use dd-wrt I have purchased a supported linksys e1200 (v2), this unit has no modem. To connect to the internet I need to use a port from the Netgear.

I only need the Netgear (DGN2200) for it for it's modem capabilities to supply internet connectivity to the LinkSys.

Doing all this seems relatively straight forward however:

I need to have external access to my security cameras from the outside world (don't use the wan connection?)

My main reason for using dd-wrt is to set up Rflow to monitor detailed bandwidth across devices.

This is what I've done so far:
Internet connectivity supplied from the Netgear to one of the ports of the e1200 (not using the wan as that will force a different ip range and accessing from the outside world would be very difficult if at all?)

Another port of the Linksys e1200 connects to my network switch supplying internet to all the devices.

Currently DHCP is running off the Netgear, should it be switched to the Linksys running dd-wrt does it matter as long as a server is specified and only one running?

I have dd-wrt set up as DHCP forwarder using the ip address of the Netgear as the DHCP server.

ALSO: For some reason I'm not seeing the Services/RFlow option, I'm not sure if I've messed something up while bashing away to try to get this working.

I have DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) mega firmware running successfully on the linksys e1200

I apologize for the long post but realize that keeping it simple leaves out a lot of necessary information.
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
This issue with setting up a router behind a combined modem/gateway (i.e. Comcast/Xfinity's SMC, Uverse's 2Wire, HughesNet's DirecWay, etc) is becoming more and more common.

Many people would suggest you just buy a basic cable or DSL modem and ditch the combined modem/gateway device... especially if you're paying a lease on it. However, ditching the combined device isn't always feasible.

At any rate, if you have a combined modem/gateway that you'd like to operate as if it were a basic modem to which you can connect your favorite router, here's how:

1. To start, make sure the modem/gateway and router devices are NOT connected.

2. Log into the modem/gateway. Pick an IP address that's within the LAN subnet of the modem/gateway and NOT within the scope of the DHCP. Shrink the scope of the DHCP if need be. Place this IP in the DMZ of the modem/gateway. If there's no DMZ setting available (usually in firewall settings), just disable the firewall.

3. With your router set to its defaults, log into your router's gui control panel.
    Under WAN settings: (if you disabled firewall in step 2, Leave WAN settings on "auto" and skip down to "LAN IP settings")
      a) statically set the WAN IP address to match the IP you put in the DMZ of your modem/gateway.
      b) Set DNS and Gateway to match the Local IP (aka LAN IP) of the modem/gateway.
      c) Subnet mask IP should match the subnet mask IP under LAN settings on your modem/gateway.

Under LAN IP settings:
      The LAN subnets of your modem/gateway and your router MUST be different. In other words, they both cannot start with the same first 3 sets of numbers. (I.E. If the LAN subnet of your modem/gateway is 192.168.1.X, then the LAN subnet of your router needs to be something different like 192.168.2.X). So...
      a) Choose your Local IP (aka LAN IP). Make sure that it is NOT within the LAN subnet of your modem/gateway. (Typically, you'd use 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1)
      b) Set the Gateway IP to match what you just chose for the Local IP (aka LAN IP) of your router.
      c) Keep subnet mask at the default (255.255.255.0).

4. Now, connect a wire from a LAN port of the modem/gateway to the WAN port of your router.

Your router should now function as if it were connected to a basic cable or DSL modem.

A few notes:

An added benefit from this setup is available if the modem/gateway has wireless capability. If so, you can easily use it for guest wireless since it's already firewalled from anything connected to router.

If you had to disable the firewall on your modem/gateway in step 2, anything connecting directly to the modem/gateway and NOT going through your router will NOT be firewalled. I.E. this would apply to guest wireless suggestion above.

If you're going to use a dynamic DNS service, you'll need to either a) configure dynamic DNS on the modem/gateway or, b)configure it on your router and set it to check for an external IP.

If you're concerned about the double NAT, you can fix that if your modem/gateway will allow you to configure a static route to your router's LAN subnet. Once the static route is configured, you can turn off NAT on your router.

Troubleshooting:

Some modem/gateway devices will try to serve up a DHCP IP to your router's WAN even if you have it set statically. If this happens, you have the options of:

1. accepting the DHCP IP and putting it in the DMZ. If you accept the DHCP address, you need to set the router's WAN to auto config and plan on updating the DMZ IP whenever the WAN gets served a different IP.
      or,
      2. disabling the firewall on the modem/gateway (redo steps 2 and 3, then see warning in notes above).

Last edited by notorious.dds on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:12; edited 12 times in total
gregstah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 13:42    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote
Hi notorius.dds, thank you so much! I would never have had the brains or understanding to come up with that on my own!

G
gour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

notorious.dds wrote:
This issue with setting up a router behind a combined modem/gateway...is becoming more and more common.

I believe having similar problem...My ISP gave me ADB-AV4202N modem/router which was getting blocked several times per day and when technician has brought me another one, he suggested to put ADB into bridge mode and use some Linksys behind it as router.

Now, the ADB router handles my 'fixed' telephone line (via VoIP) and the eth1 port is in the bridge mode passing traffic to my old Linksys WRT54G (v3.1) router which is flashed with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) std - build 13525.

So, cable goes from AB router's eth1 port into Linksys's WAN port.

Linksys router's WAN is set to PPPoE, router's IP is 192.168.2.1 where I access DD_WRT admin interface, while the entries for Router IP's Gateway & Local DNS are set to 0.0.0.0.

My desktop machine is connected to Linksys router's eth1 port (via powerline ethernet adapter) and my VoIP phone is connected to router's eth2 port.

I can normally connect to the Internet (DD-WRT's DHCP assigns IPs from 192.168.2.100) and access router's admin at 192.168.2.1 as well as VoIP phone's admin at the address assigned in the DHCP range as set as static lease.

Moreover, my netbook can connect to the Net via Wifi running on Linksys router. Same with all our Android smart phones using same Wifi network.

The only missing link is how to access ADB router's admin which is set to 192.168.1.1?

Of course, I can do it if I disconnect Linksys's cable from ADB's eth1 and e.g. connect with my netbook to the same port, but I wonder what would be the simplest way to do it using my network described above?

In a local newsgroup, I got reply where the guy using Tomato firmware has option field for 'Route Modem IP' and he put there '192.168.1.1' and everything works.

In case DD-WRT does not have such option -I can't see ot - I'm told that I have to manually add (static) route for modem's IP.

Based on what can I see, it should be probably done via DD-WRT's Setup --> Advanced Routing option, but I need some help how to do it and/or info what is required to get access to my ADB modem/router's admin interface at 192.168.1.1?
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
To gour, try:
(This is not necessary if you use the method I posted earlier. However, you've got your modem in bridge mode, so that's the difference.)
gour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
notorious.dds wrote:
To gour, try:
(This is not necessary if you use the method I posted earlier. However, you've got your modem in bridge mode, so that's the difference.)

Thanks a lot. That was it!!

After entering:

Code:

ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

everything works as desired. Smile

Maybe this should go into FAQ?

Sincerely,
Gour
SimulationMan32
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
notorious.dds wrote:
2. Log into the modem/gateway. Pick an IP address that's within the LAN subnet of the modem/gateway and NOT within the scope of the DHCP. Shrink the scope of the DHCP if need be. Place this IP in the DMZ of the modem/gateway. If there's no DMZ setting available (usually in firewall settings), just disable the firewall. [/list][/list]

I have just one thing to note that may help people if they come along and see this.

I have a 2Wire that assigns the public IP to a device if you turn on DMZ for that device under the port forwarding section. By this, I mean that once DMZ is turned on, NAT is disabled for that specific device (ex. dd-wrt router) and it receives the 2Wires public IP Address. The only restriction is on ports that are otherwise forwarded on the 2Wire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: