DIR-615 C1 - revert r16454 to r16214 killed wireless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
cmobass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 0:18    Post subject: Dmsg Reply with quote
here is the Dmsg I got
Sponsor
BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:13    Post subject: Re: No wireless Reply with quote
cmobass wrote:
I flashed my Dir 615 c1 to DD-WRT and lost wireless I see your instructions above and I am a little confused where do you place the board_config file once you SCP into the router? Do you just copy it over the dump that you created?

Obviously, you don't want to create the dump on your bricked device. There's no point saving a copy of a corrupted or erased partition.
jeisom created a working dump for you so you can skip step 3a.
Uncompress and copy the board_config file uploaded by jeisom in your router's /tmp folder (don't forget to hexedit it with your router's own mac addresses otherwise it won't work).
You can do so using whichever means you can think of (scp, ftp, nfs, wget, samba, usb storage,...). Once the file is in /tmp, you can dd if=/tmp/board_config of=/dev/mtd6
It'll take a couple seconds but wait a minute or so to be on the safe side, then reboot the router. It should work now.
cmobass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch will try
dda72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm getting the same problem with missing Wireless tab after unsuccessful 16454 upgrade. I tried this board_config file method (MACs were updated) and still missing wireless. Any further suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
cmobass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I input the MAC address from the bottom of the router in the Wan and put the same in Lan ( i got the quick flash but no wireless) I then tried the Mac address +1 for the LAN still I got the same . I must be doing something wrong. Please help Thanks in advance
BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
You reflashed with a known working firmware after fixing board_config?
dda72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I reflashed. I did DD-WRT upgrade (not 30-30-30).

Thanks.
cmobass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The firmware I flashed to the router was the trend tew632brp factory to dd-wrt. I did the 30-30-30 reset still no wireless

**Update*** I flashed the c1 back to a dlink firmware 3.10NA still no wireless so I flashed it to DD-Wrt sucessfully and updated to build 16214. I used winscp to copy board_config to tmp telneted into router ran dd if and dd of command from post above waited about 3 minutes then rebooted router and still the same no wireless. I have re downloaded the board_config and still to no avail. What can I do to resurrect the wireless

Last edited by cmobass on Tue Apr 05, 2011 22:44; edited 1 time in total
BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you could try the mtd method to restore the dump instead of dd.
From a dd-wrt firmware; once you have the dump in the /tmp folder, type mtd -f write /tmp/board_config board_config
Not sure whether you need to unlock mtd6 first or not.
It's an alternate way to do the same thing. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid you need someone more knowledgeable cause I'm out of suggestions.
cmobass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
didnt see your post above but trying now thanks for your help
cmobass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

you are a god send my friend she is working now
dda72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
This command revived my wirelles too:

mtd -f write /tmp/board_config board_config

Thanks a lot.
a1smith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I finally was able to get back to this.

I downloaded the board_config file and added my MAC addresses at the end of the file.

Then, I used the mtd -f write .... command to flash the board_config file.

Now, my wireless radio is back on. However, I have not been able to restore my MAC addresses (they were also toasted by flash to 16454.) So, the router still doesn't work. I get the following values on the System Info screen:

LAN MAC 00:11:22:33:44:55
WAN MAC 00:11:22:33:44:66
Wireless MAC 09:20:73:61:72:18

I have no idea where the wireless MAC came from; it does not resemble any valid MAC address I've used. I've made sure the flash worked by writing back the board_config area and checking MAC addresses; they were fine.

I've tried both using A-F and a-f in the MAC addresses when I edit the board_config file. Flashing both files provides the same result.

I've tried using
nvram set et0macaddr 00:26:5A......
nvram commit
nvram get et0macaddr

and the nvram is updated. But, when I go look at sys info screen on router I still get the same values above.

I also tried flashing back to build 16214 and doing nvram restore with the backup I had made from that version. The backup had all of the valid MAC addresses in it. This didn't work either.

The two methods of updating MAC above are all I've found in the forum. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
a1smith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
One other thing I tried. I read that if all nvram variables for MAC address are updated to match board_config values then the update will "take".

I did a dump of nvram and found the following variables and updated them using nvram set varname=00:26:..... followed by nvram commit.

LAN MAC:
et0maccaddr
lan_hwaddr
et0macaddr_safe
ath0_hwaddr
wl0_hwaddr

WAN_MAC:
wan_hwaddr

Once I updated these then the proper values of MAC address showed up in GUI. However, a reboot brings everything back to the values shown above so it still hasn't permanently updated the MAC addresses.

Any ideas such as other nvram values that need updating for MAC update in board config area to "take", etc.?
a1smith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I fixed it. Sort of. I tried factory reset both from dd-wrt and also by pressing reset button 5-10 seconds. Doesn't help.

So I flashed back to D-Link 3.11NA firmware and the original MAC addresses show up. I tried going back to dd-wrt b16214 and now I get 00:01:23:45:67:89 and 00:01:23:45:67:8A with LAN and wireless the same. Now the router works, at least.

So, I then tried MAC clone. I entered the original values for WAN, LAN; applied settings and rebooted. Well, the WAN, LAN MAC addresses stay as above but the wireless MAC changes to the cloned MAC address.

So, I just flashed back to 3.11NA firmware so I have something that works in this router. I'll use dd-wrt in DIR-615 rev E3 router I have.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: