Best Router for DD-WRT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
bytes2000
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:40    Post subject: Best Router for DD-WRT Reply with quote
Best Router for DD-WRT

Cheapest 100% Compatible Wireless Router:
Buffalo WHR G54s

Best 100% Compatible Wireless Router (With really high OC'ing too!):
Asus WL 500G Deluxe

Best Price/Performance 100% Compatible Wireless Router:
Buffalo WHR G54s

Fastest DD-WRT Compatible Wireless Router:
WRTSL54GS or Asus WL500G Premium. both are shipped with 266 mhz
*check last post of first page
Note: WZR-RS-G54 also runs at 266 MHz but its based on older hardware and has a bad CFE and some hardware bugs. check page2 for details.

Brainslayer wrote:
the belkin has just 2 mb flash and is crap just of this fact. it has 8 mb ram too, which is naturally crap too

the buffalo whr is cheaper (about 10$ in US and 10€ in Germany) and has a better quality than any more expensive WRT54GL

the WZR-RS-G54 has a bad cfe and has some hardware bugs. the network of the asus premium and the wrtsl54gs is faster too since the buffalo wzr uses a much older chipset. (page2 of this thread)

Brainslayer

Click here for an interesting post about whr-hp-g54 vs whr-g54s [winner] (old forum)

hwsupport.txt wrote:

DD-WRT supported/tested router hardware versions

*from hwsupport.txt

Router: ______| Serial Number | prefixes:
========================================
Linksys
Linksys WRT54G 1.0 CDF0xxx or CDF1xxx
Linksys WRT54G 1.1 CDF2xxx or CDF3xxx
Linksys WRT54G 2.0 CDF5xxx
Linksys WRT54G 2.2 CDF7xxx
Linksys WRT54G 3.0 CDF8xxx
Linksys WRT54G 3.1 CDF9xxx
Linksys WRT54G 4.0 CDFAxxx
Linksys WRT54G 5.0 (JTAG only with cfe update, see http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Flash_Your_Version_5_WRT54G)
Linksys WRT54GL 1.0 CL7Axxx
Linksys WRT54GL 1.1 CL7Bxxx

Linksys WRT54GS 1.0 CGN0xxx or CGN1xxx
Linksys WRT54GS 1.1 CGN2xxx
Linksys WRT54GS 2.0 CGN3xxx
Linksys WRT54GS 2.1 CGN4xxx
Linksys WRT54GS 3.0 CGN5xxx
Linksys WRT54GS 4.0 CGN6xxx

Linksys WRTSL54GS is now officially supported by DD-WRT too (using the latest nightly builds )

Allnet
Allnet ALL0277

Buffalo
Buffalo WHR-G54S
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54S
Buffalo WBR-G54
Buffalo WLA-G54
Buffalo WBR2-G54
Buffalo WBR2-G54S
Buffalo WZR-RS-G54

Belkin
Belkin F5D7130/7330 (2mb flash)
Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 (2mb flash)
Belkin F5D7230-4 v1000

ASUS
ASUS WL500G-Deluxe

Motorola
Motorola WR850G/GP --> see flashing notes below

Siemens
Siemens Gigaset SE505 --> see flashing notes below

Ravo
Ravo W54-RT --> see flashing notes for SE505 v1 (identical to SE505 v1)

Askey
Askey RT210W --> see flashing notes for SE505 v1 (identical to SE505 v1)

Updated: July 12,2006 by bytes2000

* this was an important post from the old fourm
this is copy/paste from: http://forum.bsr-clan.de/ftopic8794.html
Quote:
[/url]

Last edited by bytes2000 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 14:11; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
WaS
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:55    Post subject: Re: Best Router for DD-WRT Reply with quote
bytes2000 wrote:

Cheapest 100% Compatible Wireless Router:
Buffalo WHR G54s

No, this is definitely wrong. I have just checked three online shops
(Avitos, Amazon, Cyberport), and in every case the Buffalo is
8...13 EUR more expensive than the WRT54GL. Besides, I would
not call the Buffalo "100% compatible", as long as you can't flash
it via the web interface. I would not recommend tftp to a newbie
(or a faint-hearted).

Quote:
the buffalo whr is cheaper (about 10$ in US and 10€ in Germany)
[...]
Brainslayer

Maybe this was true half a year ago, when the WRT54GL was temporarily
very rare and hard to get.
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right now, in the US, the Buffalo is $49 USD, the WRT54GL is $60, both before shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
0ldman wrote:
Right now, in the US, the Buffalo is $49 USD, the WRT54GL is $60, both before shipping.

Yeah, and I just got one with a $15 rebate. Either way the cost is nearly identical so the one with the better functionality wins. GUI flashing is a time-saver, especially on a Mac.
agtig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 16:40    Post subject: Best Router Reply with quote
What about the number of antennas?

On the Linksys devices you can attach two antennas, where on most of the other devices I have looked at from this forum (Buffalo and Asus routers) seems to have only one antenna output. Isn't two antennas better than only one? Especially if you are builing networks and running WDS links?

And in Denmark the Linksys WRT54GL is also cheaper than the Buffalo router anyway, so wouldn't this be a better choise?

What's the up's and down's?

/Robert
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
they have 2. internal is a additional one. and you just need 1 antenna for a ap->client installation. the second one looks good but brings nothing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 18:21    Post subject: Re: Best Router Reply with quote
agtig wrote:
Isn't two antennas better than only one? Especially if you are builing networks and running WDS links?

That's a good question - when using external antennas I've only ever used a single one on a WRT54G. With the left/right changing between models it's worse than having one. However...

I can't see the point of two high-gain omnis in close proximity, but what about two omnis separated by long runs on LMR400? Or two directionals pointed in different directions? I've always used two WRT54G's in these scenarios, assuming the radio hardware would try to do RX/TX on separate antennas and screw everything up, but I've never testing it so that could be all wrong.

Has anybody here done either of the above?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have connected my companys sites together. We have 5 sites running WDS in sort of a star configuration. one site does provide access to the network useing 2 24dbi dishes hooked to linksys v1 running sp1... seems to be doing well and picks up both signals from the antennas
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
it auto detects the right antenna (but this does not work always). both will never really used

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 19:42    Post subject: Spatial Availibility Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
...you just need 1 antenna for a ap->client installation. The second one looks good but brings nothing
I would dispute that: The second antenna is very helpful for the spatial availibility. Sure you don't need that for long range links, but for your ordinary office situation with loads of obstacles and interference I would not like to miss the spatial diversity-even if it does not function in a perfect way.
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 23:39    Post subject: Re: Spatial Availibility Reply with quote
DrJunge wrote:
The second antenna is very helpful for the spatial availibility. Sure you don't need that for long range links, but for your ordinary office situation with loads of obstacles and interference I would not like to miss the spatial diversity-even if it does not function in a perfect way.

I've heard this theory several times but I haven't seen any data to show me that it works effectively. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but some other people have said that it's effectively so buggy as to be not working. So, I don't know what to think but I'd like to see any data folks have gathered.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:58    Post subject: Re: Spatial Availibility Reply with quote
bill_mcgonigle wrote:
DrJunge wrote:
The second antenna is very helpful for the spatial availibility. [...]
I've heard this theory several times but I haven't seen any data to show me that it works effectively.
I've got 100% 54MBit/sec coverage over the whole floor of my house using 2 antennas, but have many spots with only 36MBit/sec and some even down to 24MBit/sec, when using a single antenna (with the unused RP-TNC socket terminated). For me that is proof enough.
daedalus01
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, maybe this page should be tweaked a bit and reposted?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
another question related to this topic:

is there any dd-wrt compatible wlan-router out there which has an integrated gigabit-ethernet-switch (like the e.g. D-Link AirPlusXtremeG DGL-4300 Gaming Router) ?

xpz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick question; I need the fastest available DD-WRT compatible router. Which should I choose?

I'm using ASUS WL500G-Deluxe right now, and it can't handle my 100Mbit connection.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: