Repeater Bridge mode with and without security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
TiboNo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 13:37    Post subject: Repeater Bridge mode with and without security Reply with quote
Hi All,

This is my first message on the forum. I hope I've respected the rules in the announcements.

I've upgraded my Linsys WRT54GL v1.1 with dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_mini.bin because I'd like to test the repeater bridge function.

Every thing is working nice on repeater bridge mode. It does what I need Wink So first of all : Thanks to the developers who made a nice software working out of the box and thanks to the Wiki writers who did a nice documentation.

I need only one more thing to complete my configuration and that's why I'm opening a new subject. Hope on the right place and hope that there isn't 1000 same subjects on the forum (I didn't find my answer with on the search results).

In attachment you'll find a diagram off my configuration.

So my question is :

My WRT54GL is running dd-wrt on repeater bridge mode and is connected to a main router by wifi. The wifi's main router is fully open and everyone can connect to the main router. The secondary router (my WRT54GL) is wifi protected by WPA2 key.
My problem is that if someone connect to the main router, he could reach computers which are connected on the secondary router because they are all on the same sub-network.
As I don't want to protect the main router (for many reasons), can I close access from the main router to the secondary router to protected computers behind? Pay attention that I want the computers behind the secondary router still have access to internet and I also want to reach some of these computers (eg : RDP connection) by port forwarding (which is actually working).

Network.jpg
 Description:
Networkview
 Filesize:  65.71 KB
 Viewed:  170 Time(s)

Network.jpg

Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Repeater mode would be better, but I don't know if you would actually be secure in that setup....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
TiboNo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I set the repeater mode instead of repeater bridge, I'm pretty sure that I have to let the complete network open without security... no?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Encrypt the main Router and create a VAP for Guest Access.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
TiboNo wrote:
If I set the repeater mode instead of repeater bridge, I'm pretty sure that I have to let the complete network open without security... no?

No. I am not suggesting that it would be completely secure though.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
TiboNo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your answers. I will read more about VAP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: