[SOLVED]Dynamic DNS Client Not Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kaede
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 19:02    Post subject: [SOLVED]Dynamic DNS Client Not Working Reply with quote
Hi everyone, currentely I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/13/11) kingkong - build 17670:17737M on a Asus RT-N16 so far so good. I was trying to switch my ddns from dyndns to freedns, cuz I want to use my own domain. But I kept getting this error.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thx in advance

Last edited by kaede on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is a known issue that hasn;t been fixed yet. dyndns does work(i use it).

other services like no-ip.com(which I also use) does not.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
In order to mount a drive greater than 2 TB, you need to use a 3.x Kernel build.

In order to get a 3.x kernel build onto the Asus RT-N16, you need to go from a 2.6 kernel build to 3.x 21530 then to the latest. NVRAM gets expanded to 64K.

Don;t try to flash a build bigger than the Flash Ram on your router or you will have a bricked router.

Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/
ftp://ftp.basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/

Asus RT-N16 on 2.6 Kong 22000M with OTRW2
Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x KongAC 25015SP1 w/ 2.7 TB USB Drive(NTFS)
kaede
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
that's bummer. I know that dyndns works so does no-ip... but I want to use my own domain... and adding it to those services cost about 25 bucks, instead freedns is free but works occasionally..

I'm trying zoneedit.com now hope it works
OCD[ork]
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setup a free cheesy domain on DynDNS, setup a free custom domain on afraid.org and make it a CNAME to your DynDNS domain.

Win! Smile

(except it doesn't work without the www. ... still trying to figure that one out)
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can make dynamic dns work with most services easily if you use dnsomatic's service (the same company as opendns). Using just dnsomatic, it will allow you to update quite a few dynamic dns services all at the same time. (Both freedns and no-ip are supported as are many others.)

When using their service, your dyndns settings need to be set as follows:

DDNS Service: Custom
DYNDNS Server: updates.dnsomatic.com
User Name: <user name>
Password: <password>
Host Name: all.dnsomatic.com
URL: /nic/update?&wildcard=ON

If you get 'login' errors, it could be that your password might be too complex (DD-WRT does not support some special characters in the password). I know that dnsomatic works, as I have been using it for several years. I hope the above information helps.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
kaede
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
WOW guys THX!!!

Those indeed are neat trick!!! forgot all about CNAMES and what they can do.. thx for reminding me.
And I have no idea that there was a service that update all other dns services at once!!!! Shocked and it's F!@#ing FREEEEEE!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It's 4am and I couldn't wait!! The dnsomatic just works soo beautifully!!!

Thank crashfly for your help!
ddwrtfan2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 17:47    Post subject: NO GO HO Reply with quote
Just reviving this thread. I too have a WRT54GS and my info is:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini
(SVN revision 13064)

Anyhow,
So I have the problem where I input my DDNS settings properly but upon forcing an update it just displays
"Connecting to server" and stays that way.

Someone here had suggested there is a password complexity incapability. He was right for my instance.

I changed the password to:
dogsandcats6

That worked. I even got the result in DD-WRT's status window.

Now normally I'd just leave it at that.... however..
I have like 30 hosts (I have DYNDNS Pro) and all of my customers are being updated as well.

If I change the password all 30 sites will break and I will have to go to all 30 of my client's sites and change the updater THERE to the new password.

This is a MAJOR pain.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet or not??
I am willing to use ANY build at all.

For now what I have done is create a NEW DYNDNS account. For free I think you get 3 hosts? I cannot remember.. anyhow I am just using a different domain for my house so I can have an easy password.

I would like however to use the one paid account if possible for my house too...
ddwrtfan2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 18:17    Post subject: I spoke WAY too soon.... Reply with quote
Okay so yeah I am not giving Dyndns my $25 anymore.
They removed their free service. (1-3 hosts)
It's pay only.

So I used noip for the one-off to avoid a reconfig and then when the year is up I am going to switch over to noip paid. $20 so I save $5 AND I don't have to reconfigure everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: