QoS appears to be ineffective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
emstrobel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08    Post subject: QoS appears to be ineffective Reply with quote
(New to all this) Just set up my WGR614v8 router, currently running DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini. As I understand this should be sufficient, my goal is to control the bandwidth of my roommates.

I've gone through the wiki on QoS and set my rules in such a way that I should be getting significantly more bandwidth and priority to the wired clients. However that is clearly NOT the effect. His speeds have been slowed (he doesn't even notice) but when his usage gets heavy (youtube videos) my bandwidth is all but gone.

My QoS settings are http://imgur.com/FDTgD
Picture is slightly out dated - I have since changed EXEMPT to PREMIUM.
Beyond that I have mac filtering enabled, my connection is wired while the rest are wireless. I have port forwarding set to my static ip for starcraft 2.
I've also given starcraft 2 a QoS service priority. I have 3 MAC priorities set as well.

Is it possible I have too many QoS rules set? The router's CPU usage is quite low, seldom peaking over 30%. But the memory usage is ~80%
I've heard of an older bug where uplink/downlink limits on WAN affected LAN as well. Should I drop these limits and stick purely to mac priorities?

Thanks in advance
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
you've set your max up and down to 25 kbit/s, that's extremely low, are you sure that's what you wanted? remember, 25mbit/s is ~25600 kbit/s. Smile Do some speedtests at broadbandreports.com (use the fiber ones if your connection is >15mbit) and set your uplink and downlink to about 80-90% of your max. Also I recommend trying HFSC as your scheduler, I have had better luck with it imposing bandwidth limits.
emstrobel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ooooh. I had read 80%-95% on the side panel and assumed bandwidth limits were given as a percentage. That explains a lot, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: