DD-WRT To Serve As Updatable DNS For Subdomains?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
schalliol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:59    Post subject: DD-WRT To Serve As Updatable DNS For Subdomains? Reply with quote
First post here. After some searching, I couldn't find my answer, so here's the post:

I just got a Linksys WRT-54GL and flashed it with the "Standard" version of DD-WRT. Now I am wondering if I can use it as a DNS for subdomains with port forwarding. As an example, I have a NAS that I'd like to hit with a service from outside, and it would be nice to use nas.domain.com to access the appropriate machine or service. Do you know if there's any way to do this with DD-WRT? If not, do you know if there's a way to accomplish easily another way? Thanks!
Sponsor
derchris
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you already have a domain?
Then you should have access to a Nameserver configuration for that domain.
Just add your name you want as the subdomain.
It will ask for a destination address.
I have setup a dyndns account for that, and set that in the Nameserver entry for the subdomain destination.

So, I`m able to access my home PC via pc.domain.com.

pc.domain.com -> pc.dyndns.rg -> wan ip router

Should be easy to set up.
schalliol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may be ignorant about a few things here, so thanks for the info and please bear with me as I attempt to get clarity:

I have domain.com which equals domain.dyndns.org (for example if you had a dynamic ) it's a "sticky ip."

I would like the ability to add the subdomain like nas that would be like nas.domain.com or nas.domain.dyndns.org that I could use outside to hit the device I want. I believe that I would have to do this with port forwarding, so perhaps this nas.domain.com would really be the same thing as domain.com:10000 if it were to refer to an internal device webserver, like my vonage box's web administration tool. Does this make sense?

I guess secondarily, when I'm inside, it would be nice to be able to just use router, which is looked up by DD-WRT to refer back to itself.

Thoughts? Thanks!
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you want is that your NAT device forwards depending on the domain the outside wants to reach.
I guess you only have 1 WAN IP, so this can't be done with DNS as it merely translates a domain to an IP.

Maybe my solution to this problem may be of help to you.

My solution is an apache server running virtual hosting and a wildcard on "mydomain.com" pointing to my DD-WRT's WAN-IP

My Apache returns a different webpage for each different domain.
If I want to access the webinterface of my satellite-receiver, I direct my browser to http://sat.mydomain.com. My apache-server has a forwarding page for that domain that will point it to http://sat.mydomain.com:9090.
My router is configured to route port 9090 to port 80 on my sat-receiver...

This trick works only for a webbrowser... At least for initial access... you can also forward to telnet:sat.mydomain.com:2123

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: