Flash Your Asus WL-500G Deluxe
From DD-WRT Wiki
Flashing the Asus WL-500g Deluxe is pretty easy, at least if you have access to a Windows machine with a wireless card and the Asus tools installed.
Download the firmware zip file and unpack it (e.g. with WinZip on Windows, or (g)unzip on Linux). There are many files contained in the archive, but the one you should look for is called dd-wrt.<version_number>_<typ>_asus.trx, where <version_number> is v23 at the moment and <typ> is either mini, std, or voip (e.g. the file is called dd-wrt.v23_mini_asus.trx).
Now on to the flashing procedure:
- Unplug the power cord from the device.
- While holding down the reset button plug in the power again.
- Keep the reset button down for some seconds. After about 5 seconds the power LED blinks from time to time. You can now release the reset button.
- On the Windows machine start up the "Firmware Restoration" tool from Asus. It usually is located at "Start > Programs > ASUS Utility > Wireless Router".
- Press the "Browse" button and browse to the trx file you just unpacked.
- Press the "Upload" button. The firmware should now be copied to the device. The application will tell you when the procedure is finished.
You should now be able to access your router again via the IP address it had before the flashing.
Troubleshooting: Make sure all network devices, except for the one being used to upload the firmware, are disabled. I think the software just uses the first network device it finds, which isn't always the right one.