Linksys WRT310N v1.0
From DD-WRT Wiki
 Installation Procedure
The WRT310N accepts only the mini, standard, and VPN builds; no other versions are supported on this device. Do not even attempt to flash it with the micro (does not support gigabit ethernet so switch will not work for LAN ports) or mega-build (requires 8 MB of flash, WRT310N only has 4 MB), you will end up with a non-responding router or worse, a very expensive brick! Flashing a virgin WRT310N with the default Linksys firmware will usually require a special "trailed" mini-build to be flashed first. (However, see number 6 below). The name of this file specifically is "dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin". You may proceed to flash it with a generic STD or VPN build next. Remember to do the 30/30/30 Hard Reset after every successful flash. It is absolutely essential.
Note: If your linksys router has the OLDER firmware WRT310N_1.0.10_002_US_code on it, you should flash a mini generic version of the firmware, not the trailed version.
The proper process for flashing is:
- Read Note 1 of the peacock announcement http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
- Read Note 4 of the peacock announcement
- Read Note 3 of the peacock announcement
- Read the rest of the notes in the peacock announcement that are listed as "required reading"!
- If your stock LINKSYS firmware is the latest Linksys firmware(see note above)..you should load ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin
- Download svn 14929 dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin
- Do a HARD reset on your router. You will not get a password renewal page as you have stock linksys firmware on the router still.
- Plug a cable into the lan port of the router and your computer, and disable any wireless to the computer. Disable all firewalls and virus protection. (Setting your computer to a static IP should not be required)
- Set your browser to 192.168.1.1. This will open up the linksys webgui
- Enter the username admin and password admin
- Go to the administration tab. Click on firmware upgrade.
- BROWSE to the dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin file you downloaded.
- Click on the upgrade button and WAIT for the upgrade successful message.
- Power cycle your router. (very important) WAIT until you can relogin at 192.168.1.1
- Do a PROPER HARD 30-30-30 reset on your router (very important) WAIT until you can login at 192.168.1.1
- Click on any tab. Reset your username/password by TYPING in a new username/password
- Configure your router
You can now upgrade to any generic dd-wrt build except Mega and Micro. Be sure to always do a hard reset prior to flashing another build, do a power cycle followed by another hard reset after flashing, and NEVER re-use a configuration file from a previous build or another router. Reconfigure from scratch.
If upgrading from dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin to dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin on a Mac with Firefox try upgrading with Safari.
Recovery information available in this thread.
 Changing from Passive Cooling to Active Cooling
Raptor2213 noticed that after uploading DD-WRT firmware that his first-gen WRT-310N kept overheating. Possible solutions include:
- Strap a 120mm fan on the bottom of the router (make sure to use feet to keep it off the ground).
- Mod your WRT-310N to use an active cooler.