Recovery of LinkSys EA6900 from bad flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:30    Post subject: Recovery of LinkSys EA6900 from bad flash Reply with quote
For all us ppl who at some time brick our routers.

This method worked perfectly for me. Only difference was mine didnt download till after about 5 or 5 disconnects on the same boot. So keep trying to push the .bin file during entire boot sequence until it takes.

For the most part it's mainly using the TFTP methods mentioned in other forum posts with a slight change as the Linksys provided firmware still wouldn't process and load even after successful TFTP uploads. You need to first setup a static IP in adapter settings on your PC (192.168.1.2 for PC static IP, 255.255.255.0 for subnet, and 192.168.1.1 for gateway). Then plug your lan cable from the PC to the router with the router unplugged from power. Setup two command prompts on your PC, in the first just type "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -t” which will just spam repeating ping requests to the router letting you know when it is responding. In the second command prompt cd to your directory where you downloaded the Linksys firmware which will be a .IMG file which I had to simply do a copy command on to make it a bin file before it would upload and the router would acknowledge it. So to change the extension just type "copy (Linksys firmware).IMG firmware.bin" which will create a file in that directory named firmware.bin. Now while still in the second command prompt type "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware.bin" but don't execute yet. Now go ahead and plug the power into the router watching the first command prompt for successful pings. You have to be quick here but as soon as you see successful pings execute the command you had typed up in the second command prompt. The Linksys light on top should be slowly flashing in and out while uploading then you should get an upload successful message on the second prompt and stop receiving pings on the first prompt. Just wait for it to reboot and load the firmware and that should do it. If you have issues with getting the tftp command to successfully upload keep trying but make sure you unplug the router and plug it back in on each attempt. I actually executed the tftp command once right before I plugged the power in and that worked as well. Again, make sure to change the extension on the firmware to .bin I could never get it to work as a .IMG.

Sure this will work with most soft bricks if you find correct firmware and copy to .bin file.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: