D-Link DIR-860L A1: Known defects

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
joeszef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I installed the latest BETA Firmware (4/11/2016) on my 860L A1, I'm wondering whoelse is also using the same BETA, I'd like to know your Wireless coverage on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, is it much better than the stock or same same?
Sponsor
Amok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
joeszef wrote:
So I installed the latest BETA Firmware (4/11/2016) on my 860L A1, I'm wondering whoelse is also using the same BETA, I'd like to know your Wireless coverage on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, is it much better than the stock or same same?

For the most part, it seems a good deal more stable than the stock firmware. I was rebooting it every couple days before. Now it just gets done when I 'think about it'. I do see some weirdness with the signal dropping out, but that's been across several firmware revs, so it could be something hardware on this particular device. Sad

May be time to take it apart! Smile

2016-04-29
I just tried the 04-25 release.

It's consistently running with a CPU temp greater than 70C, and radio temps around 50C. I'm going to go back to a 'known good' r# and try that. If no improvement, time to try some thermal mods.
joeszef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to hear Amok! Thanks for the feedback.

Btw, are you able to us the USB and use SAMBA from DDWRT? I was able to mount the drive but I couldn't find it on both PC/Mac using the same WORKGROUP name. Not sure if samba is working.
SuperSaiyajin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!
Whats the best build for this router? tried latest builds but im encountering random disconnection on wifi needs to restart to fix.

Thank you

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 19:06    Post subject: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
Did you select reset to defaults before you flashed the rom? I forgot to do that one time before I flashed and ran into the problem you are describing. See page five in this forum.
SuperSaiyajin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 19:27    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
Edr wrote:
Did you select reset to defaults before you flashed the rom? I forgot to do that one time before I flashed and ran into the problem you are describing. See page five in this forum.

yes i always reset before and after updating.
working at first after some time my son will say they cannot connect to WiFi so i will power cyle the router to fix.
also when that happens I also cannot access the webgui using my WiFi and wired PC.
may I know what build are you using?

Thank you

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:47    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
SuperSaiyajin wrote:
Edr wrote:

yes i always reset before and after updating.
working at first after some time my son will say they cannot connect to WiFi so i will power cyle the router to fix.
also when that happens I also cannot access the webgui using my WiFi and wired PC.
may I know what build are you using?

Thank you

Hi! I accidentally saw my RAM getting lower over time from 75% to 0% say after 2 to 3 hours while my son playing games then my router hangs.

I have read somewhere to uncheck DNSMasq for DNS , no more hangups
Thanks Very Happy

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
joeszef wrote:
Good to hear Amok! Thanks for the feedback.

Btw, are you able to us the USB and use SAMBA from DDWRT? I was able to mount the drive but I couldn't find it on both PC/Mac using the same WORKGROUP name. Not sure if samba is working.

Sorry for the late-ish response, but it's not going to help anyway. I don't use that feature.

Since I was concerned about the temps, I took off the front panel and have been running it awhile. The temps dropped, naturally. Smile I'm seeing about CPU 61.4 °C / WL0 45.07 °C / WL1 48.00 °C now, fairly consistently.

I also flashed back to r28647. I'm not seeing WL1 reboot constantly, so the temp is lower and performance more consistent.

I'm not impressed with the thermal management in this device. The hottest part (CPU) gets a big Al <?> plate for a heat spreader, but once that gets warm that part of the case gets very little air flow (unless it's apart Wink ). I may add a 5V fan off the USB port and trim a couple pieces off the front cover to get more airflow.

I'm also getting the ~"vr0 and eth1 have the same address" warning in the log. It bugs me, but consensus seems to be 'meh'.
sambaB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06    Post subject: request briefing! Reply with quote
Got my dir-860l a1 yesterday a cheap price yesterday but absence of ftp server is strange so am planning for DD-WRT. Been through the whole tread and am little confused what these beta version provide:

i> Light works as normal
ii> Both usb 2.0 and 3.0 works well and support FTP server
iii> Hardware acceleration does not work and hence reduced LAN-LAN throughput.
iv> How stable is the firmware, if I keep my router on for 24x7 how often do i need to restart it?

thanks in advance! Smile
kilovar40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 16:48    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
SuperSaiyajin wrote:

Hi! I accidentally saw my RAM getting lower over time from 75% to 0% say after 2 to 3 hours while my son playing games then my router hangs.

Thanks Very Happy

I have something similar, but not related to gaming.

When I restart my router the available memory slowly drops regardless of the DNSMasq setting, and eventually will freeze. When I change the DNSMasq setting (again, it does not matter what the setting is as long as I change it) the available memory leak stops and then it runs for days or weeks without any problem.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas what could be the cause?

I've read the wiki pages on router slowdowns and I am not running any peer to peer apps.
SuperSaiyajin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 0:02    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
kilovar40 wrote:
SuperSaiyajin wrote:

Thanks Very Happy

When I restart my router the available memory slowly drops regardless of the DNSMasq setting, and eventually will freeze. When I change the DNSMasq setting (again, it does not matter what the setting is as long as I change it) the available memory leak stops and then it runs for days or weeks without any problem.

I've read the wiki pages on router slowdowns and I am not running any peer to peer apps.

Hi!
Is your 5ghz Channel Disabled?
Im asking because im experiencing this memory leak and hangup everytime I disable this 5ghz channel
Im now using the latest build from Kong.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 20:51    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
SuperSaiyajin wrote:
kilovar40 wrote:
SuperSaiyajin wrote:

Thanks Very Happy

Hi!
Im asking because im experiencing this memory leak and hangup everytime I disable this 5ghz channel

Hi,
I am experiencing this memory leak with DD-WRT v3.0-r29739

Earlier today I rebooted the router,
the result is that the router leaks memory!

Currently my memory says:

Memory
Total Available122.4 MB / 128.0 MB
Free30.2 MB / 122.4 MB
Used92.1 MB / 122.4 MB
Buffers5.1 MB / 92.1 MB
Cached13.5 MB / 92.1 MB
Active15.2 MB / 92.1 MB
Inactive8.1 MB / 92.1 MB

I have 5GHz disabled , because I dont use it
and it saves some Watts.

But each time when I disable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" and click "Apply Setings"
and there after enable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" again and click "Apply Setings"
then the memory usage is stable and does not drop!

Does anyone know if this obvious memory leak has been reported as a defect/bug?

Many thanks!
SuperSaiyajin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:59    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
a_l wrote:
SuperSaiyajin wrote:
kilovar40 wrote:
SuperSaiyajin wrote:

Thanks Very Happy

Hi!

Hi,
I am experiencing this memory leak with DD-WRT v3.0-r29739

Earlier today I rebooted the router,
the result is that the router leaks memory!

Currently my memory says:

Memory
Total Available122.4 MB / 128.0 MB
Free30.2 MB / 122.4 MB
Used92.1 MB / 122.4 MB
Buffers5.1 MB / 92.1 MB
Cached13.5 MB / 92.1 MB
Active15.2 MB / 92.1 MB
Inactive8.1 MB / 92.1 MB

I have 5GHz disabled , because I dont use it
and it saves some Watts.

But each time when I disable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" and click "Apply Setings"
and there after enable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" again and click "Apply Setings"
then the memory usage is stable and does not drop!

Does anyone know if this obvious memory leak has been reported as a defect/bug?

Many thanks!

This also happens to me, so I enabled 5ghz even though Im not using it , Memory became stable ,though i want to disable it to save watts like you.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
uPnP can be the cause of the memory consumption.
a_l
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 14:49    Post subject: UPnP Service is disabled Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
uPnP can be the cause of the memory consumption.

I have 'UPnP Service' disabled under:
NAT/QoS - UPnP - UPnP Configuration

, so I guess that is not the cause of the problem, but I am only guessing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: