Desperately trying to understand - empty static lease box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Tenor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just noticed that I was including apostrophe's for a few of my client names, so I removed them and clicked on save. Everything is displaying now. I will know by tomorrow if that was actually the problem since the names normally disappear after about 24 hours.
Sponsor
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes an apostrophe indeed messes the javascript up. Also an apostrophe isn't valid in hostnames Razz

Donater
gigglesworth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also ran into this problem.

In my case, it turns out I had mistakenly set some DHCP leases with null values.

I fixed this by using 'delete' to delete the null entries, and then set explicit values, and clicked the buttons in the correct order:

- 1: Click Add
- 2: enter data
- 3: Save
diabolical_mdog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
gigglesworth: THANKS, the null values were my problem too.

I'm also thrilled to report that it looks like dd-wrt is going to spare me the trouble of setting up split-horizon dns: I used a fqdn for my server's name and the router is resolving internal dns queries with the internal address. Totally sweet!
Dilligaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Roadrun' I notice in your screenshot that it says that 192.168.1.1 is already assigned to a static lease. You're not using 192.168.1.1 as the IP address assigned to the router are you?? If you are thats why you can't assign it to another static lease.

Mike
roadrun777
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dilligaf wrote:
Roadrun' I notice in your screenshot that it says that 192.168.1.1 is already assigned to a static lease. You're not using 192.168.1.1 as the IP address assigned to the router are you?? If you are thats why you can't assign it to another static lease.

Mike

No, the boxes always came up blank, I tried deleting them all and every time I go to add an entry of any kind it pops up that error about 192.168.1.1 being already entered as a static entry. So I can delete all the entries until none remain, but when I go to add an entry in always states that error regardless of what IP or MAC I use.

I am no stranger to editing files and source in a text editor, but I am such a noob when it comes to this.

I originally thought it had something to do with the fact that I had Thibor on the router originally and I flashed from thibor's update page. I suspected that doing that somehow left some files behind in the flash image. I did try clearing the NVRAM manually to no avail =( .
I was at a complete loss to explain why an entry from a previous firmware got "stuck" into my next flash. According to a post on the Thibor forum someone recommended I add the routers IP into the static lease list if I wanted it to show up as a netbios/domain name.
So I added an entry for static lease 192.168.1.1 - (my mac and internal domain name) when I was running Thibor firmware. It worked great for a year that way, then I decided to take a dive into DD-WRT (which I still think is so much better than other third party firmware). Its just that I tried everything I could think of to get it to work. I tried several scripts from the forums and re-flashing many times.

Eventually I had to give up, this problem couldn't be operator error; It was something in the flash image (or something left over from a previous flash which clearing the NVRAM didn't fix). I still have a version WRT54GS v5 box that has this problem with v23 sp2 mirco, but I am taking it back and getting a WRT54GL from newegg in a few weeks and I will try again with that box.

Also as a side note, I never added any semi-colons to the static list (at least that I could see, which is my problem, I couldn't see anything in the list, so I would delete every entry and try to enter something new in only to run into the error again)
mabaitroy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also having the same problem with Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std on my WRT54G. I just gave up on it and assigned static IP's. I don't even get the error message that says it's already been entered. It just enters a blank row and lets' me keep adding the same info over and over. I'm OK with using static IP's so it's no big deal but just wanted to send this post so everyone who has this issues knows they are not alone.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue but with port forwarding too. Don't know what to do anymore, flashed back to v23 sp2 mini and still nothing. Please guys give me a light.

Things i tried:

- Hard reset
- "mtd erase nvram" command
- Cleared cookies and temp internet files
- Firefox
- Opera
- v23 sp2 mini
- uninstalled sun java

Please, give me more things to try, i don't wanna give up, just want some progress
pt2501
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:15    Post subject: Re: Desperately trying to understand - empty static lease bo Reply with quote
roadrun777 wrote:
I need a little help I just flashed my router with v23 sp2 (mini then wrt54GS bin as per instructions on the wiki).

Something went wrong, terribly wrong and some of the new terminology has me very confused.

When I goto enter a STATIC LEASE entry it only comes up with a blank box, and when I try to save the settings it give me a box saying that "is already defined as a static lease".
It says nothing else.

I tried factory reseting several times now, it always thinks that the IP's I am adding are already defined somewhere else and sure enough if I allow DHCP to hand out an IP it assigns my old IP addresses from the previous router firmware!!!
How the heck did the settings stay (even though I did a factory reset from the Hyperwrt-Thibor firmware).

At this point I am thoroughly depressed, as I can't seem to figure out what file I need to edit and how (nix n00b here).

Another issue I am having is trying to understand what is DNSMasq and what it means when I use it for DHCP (or not use it) and for Local DNS (or not). According to the wiki it says that if I use it I HAVE to use special commands? Why?

All I want is to be able to plug in some MAC addresses and have them always get the same IP addresses (this is important for my printer and VOIP hardware).

Would someone please help me?

So it seems like the problem is how the data is stored. Comparing wrt54gl v24sp2/vpn with v23sp2/generic
I noticed (in v24) that the static lease dialog works; contrasting nvram from the v23 shows:

Code:
v24 ~# nvram show | grep lease
static_leases=00:0d:xx:xx:xx:xx=pc1name=aa.bb.cc.dd=1440

v23 ~# nvram show | grep lease
dnsmasq_lease_aa.bb.cc.dd=86400  00:0d:xx:xx:xx:xx aa.bb.cc.dd pc1name 01:00:0d:xx:xx:xx:xx

Migrating the v24 change to v23 using nvram set showed a populated gui with the IP field having
aa.bb.cc.dd=1440 (clearly wrong but on the right track!). Fixing the static_leases nvram setting
to omit the final field (lease time) makes it work - and the lease time is set to infinite as shown
in /tmp/dnsmasq.conf (i removed the old/stale dnsmasq_lease entry)

Code:
v23 ~# cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
interface=br0
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
domain=yourdomain.here
leasefile-ro
dhcp-script=/etc/lease_update.sh
dhcp-lease-max=51
dhcp-option=3,192.168.0.1
dhcp-authoritative
dhcp-range=192.168.0.100,192.168.0.149,255.255.255.0,1440m
dhcp-host=00:0d:xx:xx:xx:xx,pc1name,192.168.0.99,infinite

Also worth noticing is that the original v23 dnsmasq_ nvram entry has an extra 01: in the tail
which is not part of the MAC address. I haven't done more reading but it could be the row#

-pt
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:49    Post subject: Re: Desperately trying to understand - empty static lease bo Reply with quote
Uncheck "Use NVRAM for client lease DB" This can cause problems as reported elsewhere

roadrun777 wrote:
I need a little help I just flashed my router with v23 sp2 (mini then wrt54GS bin as per instructions on the wiki).

Something went wrong, terribly wrong and some of the new terminology has me very confused.

When I goto enter a STATIC LEASE entry it only comes up with a blank box, and when I try to save the settings it give me a box saying that "is already defined as a static lease".
It says nothing else.

I tried factory reseting several times now, it always thinks that the IP's I am adding are already defined somewhere else and sure enough if I allow DHCP to hand out an IP it assigns my old IP addresses from the previous router firmware!!!
How the heck did the settings stay (even though I did a factory reset from the Hyperwrt-Thibor firmware).

At this point I am thoroughly depressed, as I can't seem to figure out what file I need to edit and how (nix n00b here).

Another issue I am having is trying to understand what is DNSMasq and what it means when I use it for DHCP (or not use it) and for Local DNS (or not). According to the wiki it says that if I use it I HAVE to use special commands? Why?

All I want is to be able to plug in some MAC addresses and have them always get the same IP addresses (this is important for my printer and VOIP hardware).

Would someone please help me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: