Trying to install DD-WRT on a WRT54G with Talisman Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
DD-WRT_newbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:01    Post subject: Trying to install DD-WRT on a WRT54G with Talisman Firmware Reply with quote
Hi,
I am sorry about this "newbie" question, but I really do not want to brick my Linksys WRT54G.

I have searched the DD-WRT.com website on this, but can not find any info. I have read the Peacock accountment, but again there is no info on what I would like to do.

I was given a Linksys WRT54G version 2.2 with Sveasoft Talisman/Basic version 1.3.1 as I present. I would like to insall a build of DD-WRT on it.

I know that the developer of Sveasoft Talisman took open licenece software and started selling it. I do not like the features of it nor do I want to support it, that is why I would like to install DD-WRT on it.

All the threads and "install wikis" that I have read mention how to install DD-WRT on a linksys WRT54Gx with standard stock firmware, but not on how to install DD-WRT on a router with other "3rd Party" Firmware.

Do I have to first "remove" the Talisman firmware? if so, how do I do that?

Would I have then install the standard stock firmware and then DD-WRT?

I thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
flash the stock Linksys firmware.

wait..

wait..

reboot the router and make sure it is working.

reset.

now flash dd-wrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Thank you for rpelying to my post.
When you say:
"flash the stock Linksys firmware."
Do I download a stock firmware for the Linksys from their website, then just go to the "Administrator" tab, then "Firmware upgrade" on the Talisman firmware on the router and just load the file there and click ugrade?
When you say:
"reboot the router and make sure it is working."
Do I just go to the "Administrator" of the Linksys stock firmware and click on reboot?
When you say:
"reset."
Is that a 30-30-30 reset?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT_newbie wrote:
Hi, Thank you for replying to my post.
When you say:
"flash the stock Linksys firmware."
Do I download a stock firmware for the Linksys from their website, then just go to the "Administrator" tab, then "Firmware upgrade" on the Talisman firmware on the router and just load the file there and click upgrade?
When you say:
"reboot the router and make sure it is working."
Do I just go to the "Administrator" of the Linksys stock firmware and click on reboot?
When you say:
"reset."
Is that a 30-30-30 reset?

I'm not that familiar with sveasoft.. It is a completely bad idea to go from one 3rd party firmware to another.

Most 3rd party's are written to go from stock fw to theirs.

That said, use the upgrade / update GUI to flash the stock Linksys firmware.

I said wait.. Indeed, once you get a success message, that meant that the transfer was successful. The actual programming has not completed. Many routers end up at the business end of a TTL adapter because the firmware write process has not completed.

So.. Using the sveasoft GUI, reset the router to defaults. Then, also using the sveasoft GUI, flash the stock Linksys firmware for your router.

Wait.. Wait..

Then access the router. Now it should have the stock Linksys firmware. For fun, reset the router again via the Linksys GUI, then flash the proper dd-wrt firmware for you router's initial flash. (note the "initial flash" part)

Once dd-wrt is installed, you can flash any dd-wrt build that your router supports.. (note the "your router supports" part).

You might have to do a bit of goggling to find the stock firmware. Linksys pulled it from their website for older routers.

You may be able to find it here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=145255

Have fun.. Good luck..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT_newbie wrote:
When you say:
It might be a good idea to do a GUI reset prior to flashing the stock firmware...but after loading it (yes, thru the GUI), if it doesn't reboot itself (for which you should wait a good 10min to ensure you don't mess it up) and have the GUI available, then pull power and (hopefully) it will now boot into the stock f/w. Then do a GUI reset (though some will only allow for a 30-30-30), then flash DD...and in fact you should do another reset. This is because different firmware vendors use different nvram, and potentially even the same nvram for different things.
Edit: dammit I'm too slow barryware! Razz

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Edit: dammit I'm too slow barryware! Razz

Ha! Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, when you said initial DD-WRT flash, I went to this link:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28a_division_of_Belkin_-_formerly_Cisco.29

found my Linksys WRT54G version 2.2 and clicked on "Install Guide". In this guide there is a link for the initial install flash: dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin
with location: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin
is this the correct DD-WRT initial flash file, from when I want to go from the Linksys stock firmware to DD-WRT?
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes that is build to use from the stock linksys to ddwrt.
DD-WRT_newbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
thenotwellman,
barryware,
jwh7

I have successfully upgraded to Linksys WRT54G version 2.2 from Talisman to Linksys to DD-WRT.
Thank you all of you for the help and sorry about his newbie question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: