Connection refused on Telnet, SSH and Web GUI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Astorphobis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 19:30    Post subject: Connection refused on Telnet, SSH and Web GUI Reply with quote
Soo.. I installed the newest dd-wrt fw on my Asus RT-G32 rev. A (the compatible one) and after flashing, the router works normally - Internet passes through, I can ping it, it works like a normal router but..
When I try to open WebGUI, I get connection refused.
When I try to telnet or ssh into the router, I get connection refused again.
I gave it an IP adress 192.168.1.254 so I can restore it with asus firmware restore (which didn't work neither), but it happens with any IP.
Any help?
Thanks!
Btw hard reset (30-30-30) or any other reset button pressing didn't work (or didn't change anything)
Sponsor
Astorphobis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noone?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hold WPS button, unplug wait 10 seconds and restore power while holding the WPS button for approx 25 seconds

Your router is normally reachable at 192.168.1.1.

Use a static IP address for your PC like 192.168.1.9
Astorphobis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still the same problem.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am unsure of what the situation is. I know on my Broadcom routers ssh, telnet, and the web gui crash after a certain amount of time (for example 7 days) depending on which firmware version. The only way that I can get them back up is to reboot the router. I have been noting this on the build threads, when I put my report in.

So that could be the issue?

I am still unclear of why you gave it the address of 192.168.1.254, that is normally not a common address used for a router, but it would depend on your setup. Do you remember or know any of the other settings? It is possible that you have disabled telnet, ssh, and web gui.

Could you describe your setup more?
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
open a dos window and type
ipconfig

just to make sure it is really 192.168.1.254 and not something else, look at the line for the default gateway

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
I am unsure of what the situation is. I know on my Broadcom routers ssh, telnet, and the web gui crash after a certain amount of time (for example 7 days) depending on which firmware version. The only way that I can get them back up is to reboot the router. I have been noting this on the build threads, when I put my report in.

So that could be the issue?

I am still unclear of why you gave it the address of 192.168.1.254, that is normally not a common address used for a router, but it would depend on your setup. Do you remember or know any of the other settings? It is possible that you have disabled telnet, ssh, and web gui.

Could you describe your setup more?

I can't change any settings - when I first started up the router after installing dd-wrt, the webgui/telnet/ssh just didn't work. I didn't disable them - I couldn't.

And yes, I'm sure the IP I'm entering is the router's one. I also tried unplugging it from wan/lan and only plug it into my pc, but it still didn't work.

//EDIT: I gave it 192.168.1.254 because ASUS Firmware flashing tool requires this IP. But the firmware flashing tool didn't work neither
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that you misunderstood how to setup the device. According to our friends at openwrt:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-g32_atheros

The router should be at 192.168.1.1 and your machine would need to have the ip address of 192.168.1.254

Try the reset method (noted in red by redhawk) on this page:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

If that does not work, you could leave the router as is, since you say "the router works normally".

Otherwise you will have to open it up and access it through a console. I do not know the pin out order for that device but I can see that they are present in the picture on the openwrt page.

One last note:
You posted in the Broadcom forum but this is an Atheros based device according to openwrt and http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus
so please post in the correct forum in the future
Astorphobis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
I think that you misunderstood how to setup the device. According to our friends at openwrt:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-g32_atheros

The router should be at 192.168.1.1 and your machine would need to have the ip address of 192.168.1.254

Try the reset method (noted in red by redhawk) on this page:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

If that does not work, you could leave the router as is, since you say "the router works normally".

Otherwise you will have to open it up and access it through a console. I do not know the pin out order for that device but I can see that they are present in the picture on the openwrt page.

One last note:
You posted in the Broadcom forum but this is an Atheros based device according to openwrt and http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus
so please post in the correct forum in the future

I've set my router's IP to 192.168.1.1, but how do I set my PC's IP to 192.168.1.254? I don't know how to do it outside the router
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait.... I thought you said that you could not get into the router. If you can not get into the router how can you be setting the IP address of the router?

But .... assuming you are on windows (doing this from memory so I may be off a little)....
Open Network and Sharing Center
Open the properties for the adapter you are using.
Click the Internet Protocol 4 selection (leave it checked)
then click properties
Click Use the following IP address
set IP address to 192.168.1.254
set Subnet to 255.255.255.0
set Default gateway to 192.168.1.1

Set the DNS to 8.8.8.8
(this is a google DNS)
There should be a check box for validate settings on exit, check that.
Then press ok all the way out.

This is statically setting your computer to use that IP address.

To undo this go in again and select obtain IP address automatically.
Astorphobis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Wait.... I thought you said that you could not get into the router. If you can not get into the router how can you be setting the IP address of the router?

But .... assuming you are on windows (doing this from memory so I may be off a little)....
Open Network and Sharing Center
Open the properties for the adapter you are using.
Click the Internet Protocol 4 selection (leave it checked)
then click properties
Click Use the following IP address
set IP address to 192.168.1.254
set Subnet to 255.255.255.0
set Default gateway to 192.168.1.1

Set the DNS to 8.8.8.8
(this is a google DNS)
There should be a check box for validate settings on exit, check that.
Then press ok all the way out.

This is statically setting your computer to use that IP address.

To undo this go in again and select obtain IP address automatically.

By setting router's IP I meant this. And it's still throwing connection refuse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: