New Kong's build: DD-WRT 30645M - 2016/09/18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
SFdrifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 21:58    Post subject: Re: Netgear R7000 Reply with quote
spatmur wrote:
Router: R7000
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30654M kongac (9/18/16)
Kernel: Linux DD-WRT 4.4.21 #120 SMP Sun Sep 18 22:54:40 CEST 2016 armv7l
Staus: Uptime 2 hours, no problems as of yet
Reset: Yes, erase nvram, reboot before and after uprade from firmware 30465
Errors: None

Only oddity that I noted was Linux clients could not resolve IP addresses with "Use DNSMasq for DNS" enabled. DHCP worked properly and the router showed as nameserver in resolv.conf but name resolution was nonexistent. Disabling of DNSMasq for DNS solved this.

Yes! Same bug, but with FW 30600.
Sponsor
SFdrifter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, disabling DNSmasq didn't help -- my Debian box and embedded Linux machines (e.g., Squeezebox attempting to access mysqueezebox) still couldn't resolve DNS names. Roku works, however.

EDIT: Ignore this post: the above reflects my own error -- the boxes that still didn't work with DNSmasq disabled were pointing to the router as the DNS server and I had forgotten to set the R7000 to a local DNS server of 0.0.0.0

Last edited by SFdrifter on Sun Sep 25, 2016 23:04; edited 2 times in total
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 22:32    Post subject: Re: Netgear R7000 Reply with quote
SFdrifter wrote:
spatmur wrote:

Only oddity that I noted was Linux clients could not resolve IP addresses with "Use DNSMasq for DNS" enabled. DHCP worked properly and the router showed as nameserver in resolv.conf but name resolution was nonexistent. Disabling of DNSMasq for DNS solved this.

That's complete nonsense, as development is done with linux and would hit us right away. Thus you should check your linux boxes, definitely not an issue with the build.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 22:42    Post subject: Re: Netgear R7000 Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
SFdrifter wrote:
spatmur wrote:

That's complete nonsense, as development is done with linux and would hit us right away. Thus you should check your linux boxes, definitely not an issue with the build.

I understand your point of view...still, I just duplicated the bug as follows:

**set DNS name server to 192.168.1.1 on Linux box
**set local DNS server to 192.168.1.1 on R7000
**checked "use DNSmasq for DHCP", "use DNSmasq for DNS", and "recursive DNS resolving"
**enabled "DNSmasq", "local DNS", "no DNS rebind", and "query DNS in strict order"
**rebooted R7000 from Administration page

After that, I could no longer reach any external websites/URLs from my Linux machines or any machines that use 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server

I don't think it's a Linux issue per se -- that's a red herring.

EDIT: Again, operator error. I unchecked "recursive DNS resolving" from the above settings and am now back in business. Apologies, and, of course, many thanks to Kong for this peerless firmware.
spatmur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:50    Post subject: Oddities with Linux clients resolved Reply with quote
So, taking Kong's assertions into mind, I delved into the DNS issues my Linux machines were having. Two Slackware machines and a Debian based NAS could not resolve names at all when using the router as nameserver. Windows machines, iPads and iPhones, Android devices, game systems were unaffected.

But not totally unaffected, they were slow to resolve, much slower than under the previous build, so I checked my Static DNS settings, set to OpenDNS public servers and one from my ISP. I switched all of them over to my ISP DNS servers, and while this seemed to fix the problem, they were still very slow. I then pointed the settings at Google's public servers and this resolved both issues. Finally, I switched back to OpenDNS to see if the problem lie there, but speed and name resolution were both fine and working for all devices.

I can only conclude that I must have entered the OpenDNS server info incorrectly at first, and the Linux boxes were not getting to the server provided by my ISP quickly enough, or at all.

Thanks again, everyone, and especially to Kong, for all his hard work. Another great build, as per usual.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: