Set different default DDWRT IP before flashing - possible?

mrenglishman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 17:28    Post subject: Set different default DDWRT IP before flashing - possible? Reply with quote
Hi friends,

I have a couple of wireless access points on a LAN (main router running dd-wrt on 192.168.1.1), which I want to flash to dd-wrt, and continue using them as APs afterwards.

The issue is that I am not physically connected to this LAN as I am in a different country. I can connect to the LAN either by VPN or simply by using Teamviewer on one of the network's machine.

Question is how can I flash those 2 access points to DDWRT, but have them default to an IP other than 192.168.1.1 so they won't conflict with the main router?

I can then access them through that IP and configure them appropriately -- I just need to be able to access them initially. For several reasons, I cannot change the IP of the main router as it would cause several disconnect issues to connected clients.

Is there a way to do that?

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know of way to change default IP without some dev skills.
A very simple reply --
You do not want to do what you have described.
If you already had dd-wrt on whatever routers these are then yea you would probably be ok.

You just don't want to try flashing dd-wrt to something with stock firmware from any remote location.
If you wasn't already using 192.168.1.1 but just in the 192.168.1.0 subnet you might could give it a go remotely if router was plugged it LAN to LAN in the network but that would still be risky ---- really depends on what device it is...some are more forgiving when you blindside them than others.... although it does sound like fun, I can't recommend for you to try it --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: