Is it recommended to use Local DNS under dnsmasq?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 20:12    Post subject: Is it recommended to use Local DNS under dnsmasq? Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I am curious about "Local DNS" option under dnsmasq:

Is it advised to have this on? From what I understand it basically caches DNS locally instead of fetching it from google or whoever you use for DNS?

Is that correct?

Is it dangerous for caching malicious entries though? Google or whoever will fix it probably very fast, but you will have it cached for a while?

Are there any downsides to using it? And does it do anything else?

Thanks!
Sponsor
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've always used it and have not had any problems. On the contrary, I boosted the cache up to 10,000 entries. It speeds things up.

FYI, I believe ASUS routers enable this by default. Your computer caches DNS too.
StarCaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 15:29    Post subject: change number Reply with quote
Quote:
I boosted the cache up to 10,000 entries

where you gonna set this number?
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 19:12    Post subject: Re: change number Reply with quote
Quote:

Put the following in the Additional DNSMasq Options. If you run out of ram, though, your router will crash.

Code:
cache-size=10000
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 21:57    Post subject: Re: change number Reply with quote
MongooseProXC wrote:
Quote:

Put the following in the Additional DNSMasq Options. If you run out of ram, though, your router will crash.

Code:
cache-size=10000

Do you know what the default number is? And what does it do when it runs out? Deleted the oldest entries?

How much ram do you use? How much ram is needed for lets say every 1000 ?
StarCaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
couple questions:
how would I know that the cache really works?
will the dns addresses stay in memory if the router gets rebooted?
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 16:09    Post subject: Re: change number Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you know what the default number is? And what does it do when it runs out? Deleted the oldest entries?

How much ram do you use? How much ram is needed for lets say every 1000 ?

The default for DNSMasq is 150 entries. It deletes the older entries as it fills.

I honestly don't think it uses hardly any ram at all. Even maxed out at 10,000, I can't tell the difference.

Quote:
couple questions:
how would I know that the cache really works?
will the dns addresses stay in memory if the router gets rebooted?

There's a tool called DNS Benchmark where you can see the results. The cache is cleared upon reboot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: