USB HDD spindown when inactive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
jomatthe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it necessary to move /opt and /swap partitions off the HDD (i.e.: to a flash drive) in order for this to work?

Also, along similar lines, I read something about sd-idle on the Kong Mod guide. To my linux-ignorant ears this sounds like a standard os function of linux. Without spending hours learning about hdd power management, should i be looking for the driver for my hdd enclosure that supports power management (Vantec Nextstar 3i) or should I be tweaking my dd-wrt software setup to enable spin down?
Sponsor
hachiroku
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
this worked for me...as it returned no errors

Code:
echo 1 >/sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart
slimbig
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the kernel parameter to disable the allow_restart feature (without rebooting)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 0:55    Post subject: Is this a known issue? Reply with quote
Is this a known issue?

I'm running

DD-WRT v3.0-r28598 std (12/24/15)

And even I have allow_restart set to 1 I still can't get the disk to spin down.

I want to use the convenience of the gigabit connection, but I don't want to leave the disk running 24/7

Help?
zmatek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 20:54    Post subject: Noob question,how do a hell I spin down? Reply with quote
Hi buddies,

I am maybe to old for that and really depressed. I believe you can help me to find way out:(

So this is the story..I wanted decent router with NAS, so I bought R7000 Nighthawk. SATA drives were connected and everything worked fine with stock firmware...include spin down of the drives... unluckily netgear has some bug in their firmware, and usb drives in enclosures were loosing samba config during system init. when router reboot or power cycle.
One of them always disconnected. I had to mount again via web gui.... annoying.
So I tried DD WRT, and was able to easily setup wifi, guest wifi, usb nas samba dlna and was thinking wow thats great OS and awesome web gui!

Until I realised that drives are still active, not spining down at all and thats not good I think...

I google some info, and of course started with dd wrt wiki, where is quite wide info about USB storage, and is stated in relation with spin down:

"sudo apt-get install sdparm
sudo sdparm -a /dev/sd?"

and thats place where the pain has began:!

first command "sudo apt-get install sdparm"
bump "-sh: sudo: not found"

ah.. something has changed since times I was playing with debian in childhood. Googling several hours, I found something about OpenWRT and Optware, no other ideas lets give it try:

Enabled JFFS2 flash memory in web gui because I do not wants to use external flash. Then putty into ssh shell:

"mkdir /jffs/opt
mount --bind /jffs/opt /opt
bootstrap"

and opkg was installed, now I was able to simply install hdparm with:

"opkg install hdparm"

again short happiness,

until first command "hdparm -S 245 /dev/sda2"
bump "hdparm: ioctl 0x31f failed: Invalid argument"

oh.. whats wrong.. google told me that hdparm does not work well via USB.

so lets try sdparm, at first to install with similar command "opkg install sdparm"
bump "unknown package 'sdparm' "

am I really missing something?
I just wants to enable spin down of my drives.

I just would like to know how to make sudo;)

Thank you in advance for any clue and helpfulness!

Kind regards zma
PS: sorry for boring story...
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: