cant stay connected to wrt54g router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
shatheone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 20:16    Post subject: cant stay connected to wrt54g router Reply with quote
i have a wrt54g v8, i installed the ddwrt firmware a couple days ago. worked fine for the night night and the next day the net was really slow to the point where i felt i wasnt connected. so i disconnected and couldnt reconnect over wifi. i power cycled the router, worked for ten minutes and went back to not being able to connect. current firmware version is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro, the one form the wiki. and all pcs on wifi are windows 7. it seems the the ethernet works fine on it
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 22:54    Post subject: Re: cant stay connected to wrt54g router Reply with quote
shatheone wrote:
i have a wrt54g v8, i installed the ddwrt firmware a couple days ago. worked fine for the night night and the next day the net was really slow to the point where i felt i wasnt connected. so i disconnected and couldnt reconnect over wifi. i power cycled the router, worked for ten minutes and went back to not being able to connect. current firmware version is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro, the one form the wiki. and all pcs on wifi are windows 7. it seems the the ethernet works fine on it

6 -8 wireless devices connected bout all you are going to get out of that without trouble. 3 - 4 wifi devices should hold up .......
Also depends on your internet connection. If you have 25+ Mbps connection the wrt54G will not keep up. Multiple devices connected wireless can also easily saturate its G rated bandwidth.... best you can do wireless is 'bout 25 Mbps ... add a few devices and you can see the problem.

2MB flash - 8MB ram aint much to work with anyways-
shatheone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
my internet connection is actually only 5mbps, the amount of devices connected is about 7 on wifi,never over that.

is there a list of ddwrt compatible routers listed by price?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
shatheone wrote:
my internet connection is actually only 5mbps, the amount of devices connected is about 7 on wifi, so that seems to be the issue apparently.

List of dd-wrt supported routers
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

You will have to google | eBay | amazon specific router for trending prices

EDIT:
Might be some settings that will help you out and make it bearable till you can replace.
If you list what current WiFi settings are we might can help.
And should disable everything not needed -- like WAN traffic counter in Services
shatheone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
shatheone wrote:
my internet connection is actually only 5mbps, the amount of devices connected is about 7 on wifi, so that seems to be the issue apparently.

List of dd-wrt supported routers
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

You will have to google | eBay | amazon specific router for trending prices

EDIT:
Might be some settings that will help you out and make it bearable till you can replace.
If you list what current WiFi settings are we might can help.
And should disable everything not needed -- like WAN traffic counter in Services

i see, yeah i ran into that list before, thank you for linking.

i setup the router to use as a repeater, which means only about 2 devices are connected at any given time. its still giving me the same problem, so i know its not about devices overloading it. as far as wifi settings go, im not sure what would be relevant. i use wpa2 aes, channel 1. i dont use any special settings besides that, pretty vanilla. i will look into disabling some of the services. it seems when it gets in that state of not being able to connect, i have to power cycle and it works fine for a brief time. not sure if that helps
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
tx power = 35
afterburner = disabled
CTS Protection = disabled
Frame burst = disabled
Preamble = short
Shrtslot override = short

wireless network should be set G-Only

swap out the power supply with another
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
That router is way too weak to support anything other than casual web browsing. No video streaming. No file sharing.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
shatheone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
tx power = 35
afterburner = disabled
Frame burst = disabled
Preamble = short

i actually realized that ive been using the plug from my switch this whole time, which seems to not have enough mA output as the original plug. so that might fix the issue, once i find the original plug i will test

thank you mrjcd
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
shatheone wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
tx power = 35
afterburner = disabled
Frame burst = disabled
Preamble = short

i actually realized that ive been using the plug from my switch this whole time, which seems to not have enough mA output as the original plug. so that might fix the issue, once i find the original plug i will test

thank you mrjcd

Yea that box pushes a whopping 240MHz clock speed so you should have 12v at least .5amp power.
Given your overall WAN connection rate -- if you could wire some of your devices and tick along with only a few wireless you should be ok.
If using as your main gateway router --- there is nothing wrong with Linksys stock firmware on that box. Got a friend that is still running a wrt54gv8 / stock FW in small business with no more than 4 wireless ever connected on DSL 6 / 1 line. It has been running for years. I get by there every few months and my phone always connects and works --- never seen it down.
I still have a few v8 / v8.1 / v8.2 I run dd-wrt on for ages usually in some type bridge mode ... too bad ... now they are all stacked holding up the EA8500 Cool

--
EDIT:
If you check admin management page I think dd-wrt will defaut to:
IP Filter Settings max ports = 1024
That really aint many connections if you have much going on ... you might double to 2048 but might/might not cause problems.....
shatheone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
tx power = 35
afterburner = disabled
Frame burst = disabled
Preamble = short

i changed all the settings and its still giving me the same issue. not really sure why its happening really
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: