Wan Speeds Slow on R6400 with AT&T Fiber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
devildog820
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 13:41    Post subject: Wan Speeds Slow on R6400 with AT&T Fiber Reply with quote
Hi all,

So I'm using v3.0-r30955M kongac on my R6400. I have an AT&T Fiber connection, 1Gbps up and down. The R6400 is configured as a standard router and gets a WAN IP from the AT&T Pace Router. The R6400 is set up as "DMZ Plus" according to the AT&T router, which means it gets an actual WAN IP and all ports are passed through to it. I followed information from the DD-WRT Wiki to set up the R6400 and the AT&T forums for the Pace router. The R6400 gets its WAN IP via DHCP from the Pace Router.

Everything works really well, except I notice that my speeds are cut in half when using speedtest.net. I get close to 1Gbps with the Pace router and just over 500Mbps with the R6400.

My questions are, is DD-WRT software doing something that the R6400 can't handle fast enough and that's what's causing the slowdown? Have I potentially missed another setting? IPv6 is disabled (I heard that AT&T doesn't handle it well). I really want to ditch the AT&T router...

Router: Netgear R6400
Firmware: v3.0-r30955M kongac
Reset: Yes
Uptime 1 day, 21:28
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 14:33    Post subject: Re: Wan Speeds Slow on R6400 with AT&T Fiber Reply with quote
devildog820 wrote:
Hi all,

So I'm using v3.0-r30955M kongac on my R6400. I have an AT&T Fiber connection, 1Gbps up and down. The R6400 is configured as a standard router and gets a WAN IP from the AT&T Pace Router. The R6400 is set up as "DMZ Plus" according to the AT&T router, which means it gets an actual WAN IP and all ports are passed through to it. I followed information from the DD-WRT Wiki to set up the R6400 and the AT&T forums for the Pace router. The R6400 gets its WAN IP via DHCP from the Pace Router.

Everything works really well, except I notice that my speeds are cut in half when using speedtest.net. I get close to 1Gbps with the Pace router and just over 500Mbps with the R6400.

My questions are, is DD-WRT software doing something that the R6400 can't handle fast enough and that's what's causing the slowdown? Have I potentially missed another setting? IPv6 is disabled (I heard that AT&T doesn't handle it well). I really want to ditch the AT&T router...

Software NAT done on DDWRT. Hardware acceleration is proprietary. Those speeds are actually really good on a R6400.
devildog820
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 14:40    Post subject: Re: Wan Speeds Slow on R6400 with AT&T Fiber Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
Software NAT done on DDWRT. Hardware acceleration is proprietary. Those speeds are actually really good on a R6400.

Ahh. So no way around it. I have to either upgrade the router or use the Pace.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 14:55    Post subject: Re: Wan Speeds Slow on R6400 with AT&T Fiber Reply with quote
devildog820 wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Ahh. So no way around it. I have to either upgrade the router or use the Pace.

That's right or use IPv6 if your ISP support it, but wouldn't know how to help you setting that up sorry m8
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 15:00    Post subject: Re: Wan Speeds Slow on R6400 with AT&T Fiber Reply with quote
devildog820 wrote:
Hi all,

If you get an IP from the AT&T modem, then it is already working as router, then you could reconfigure your R6400 to work only as AP which involves no NAT on the R6400, of course you would loose the ability to use features that are only available if the R6400 acts as router.

Anyways, the CPU in the R6400 (2x800Mhz) is not able handle 1GBit NAT traffic without using CTF (cut through forwarding) which bypasses parts of the network stack. This bypassing breaks some features and might be lowering firewall security, thus not used by us.

The R7800 is able to do 1Gbit NAT, where it manages to do 920Mbps with one stream, multiple streams will give more throughput as both cores will be fully utilized then. This is often forgotten, as speedtest usually do no open several parallel connections. In real life you have more then one device and thus can fully utilize both cores.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all. I really hate the Pace router because it doesn't even do basic UPnP. I can probably live with those speeds, but I may just need to upgrade in the future.
FrozenAsset
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have AT&T Fiber, installed a few days ago and the 1000/1000. The Pace router is terrible, absolutely terrible. I can't believe they tie us to such a pos for their top tier service. Yes, the speeds are fantastic on it, but the interface is awful. I'd rather use my r7000 at half the speed than their garbage gateway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: