Notes on DIR-880L A2 and dd-wrt 29396

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bithead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:28    Post subject: Notes on DIR-880L A2 and dd-wrt 29396 Reply with quote
On a brand new D-Link DIR-880L with harware version A2, I successfully installed dd-wrt 29396 (picked that based on other threads here). Info on the A2 hardware is scarce, so here are a couple of things I found:

1) Installation from D-Link factory to full standard dd-wrt was smooth, following the wiki instructions.

2) The wifi lights don't come on, but a fix is posted in the forum - run these commands:
Code:
gpio disable 14
gpio disable 13

I found that in order for these to stick around, it was necessary to add them to the startup script for the router.

In my case, the router itself is faulty - it was dropping wired and wireless connections for no apparent reason. After discovering this, I tried an updated D-Link firmware (same result) and finally dd-wrt, again with no change. Consequently I'll be returning it, and will likely purchase an ASUS to replace it.

Before sending it back, I thought to put the stock fw back on the router, and found...

3) Using the reset button while powered on sets everything back to the dd-wrt defaults (glad I didn't care!).

4) Reinstalling the stock firmware from the dd-wrt GUI doesn't work - it starts OK, and after less than 5 seconds says it was successful, then reboots and returns to the dd-wrt interface. In other words, nothing actually changed, although if I hadn't already reset to dd-wrt defaults, this may have caused it to as well.

5) Using the D-Link emergency recovery works as expected, except that the default admin password which the router shipped with (none) is not restored. With some trial and error I found that 'password' got me in.

If you're reading this because you're researching your new DIR-880L, well, I hope yours works better than mine did!

~bh
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: