Netgear WNDRMACv2 to WNDR3800 for DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
truecolors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:23    Post subject: Netgear WNDRMACv2 to WNDR3800 for DD-WRT Reply with quote
I got the Netgear WNDRMACv2 via a good sale. Several reports have confirmed that the WNDRMACv2 is identical to WNDR3800 internally (while the WNDRMACv1 = WNDR3700v2). I'm thinking of TFTP flash my WNDRMACv2 with WNDR3800's firmware for the extra features (especially the Readyshare cloud). Seeing people have successfully going from even WNDR3700v2 (64MB RAM) to WNDR3800 (128MB RAM) here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=627426, so I think mine shouldn't be too much of the problem.

If that successfully convert my router into a 3800, do you guys think it'll be okay for me to flash ddwrt later on? Just wanna shout out to see if anyone has done anything like that before.

TIA guys.
Sponsor
teknician89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I too recently picked up a WNDRMACv2 via a good deal on the net in hopes of using DD-WRT to make a repeater bridge for my network. I've done my best to dig in and do my research and after trying a few things, I feel that I am at an impasse without seeking additional help. So, here's where I'm at:

I read the Peacock thread (not sure the details apply as it is for Broadcom chipset; WNDRMACv2 = WNDR3800 = Atheros AR7161, but I read it anyway). I pulled down the WNDR3800 NA build (21061) of DD-WRT and attempted to follow the WNDR3800 installation instructions:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3800
I tried doing a web upgrade but the router refused to take it, reporting that the "upgrade failed" and that I should "check the file" (the binary was good, verified MD5). I then tried to flash via TFTP. I did a hard reset (30/30/30) and tried to flash. The TFTP Windows GUI reports that the firmware was upgraded successfully, but the router never reboots and applies the firmware. Additionally, the power LED (representing the router's status while it is in recovery mode) tells me some information. 1. Before sending the image via TFTP, the LED flashes nominally. 2. During the image upload, the LED pauses flashing (if on, it stays on; if off, it stays off) 3. After TFTP reported a "successful" image upload, the LED resumes flashing nominally. The LED continues to flash and the firmware never installs. After waiting 30 minutes, I rebooted the router and it came up with the default Netgear Geanie page like nothing was changed. I also tried this with a valid factory Netgear binary for the WNDR3800 with the same results.

I did a few more tests with TFTP to try to understand "correct" firmware upload behavior. I downloaded a previous factory image from Netgear (1.0.0.4) and used TFTP to successfully downgrade the routers firmware from 1.0.0.12 to 1.0.0.4. I observed the way the Power and switch LEDs blinked, and using TFTP to flash the router with a Netgear binary presented clearly different behavior (and results) than attempting to flash DD-WRT.

Do you guys have any insight or suggestions?

Much obliged! Cool
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
teknician89 wrote:

I did a few more tests with TFTP to try to understand "correct" firmware upload behavior. I downloaded a previous factory image from Netgear (1.0.0.4) and used TFTP to successfully downgrade the routers firmware from 1.0.0.12 to 1.0.0.4. I observed the way the Power and switch LEDs blinked, and using TFTP to flash the router with a Netgear binary presented clearly different behavior (and results) than attempting to flash DD-WRT.

Do you guys have any insight or suggestions?

Much obliged! Cool

In this, are you using the factory image for the WNDR3800 for the downgrade of factory firmware? You aren't very clear on your last part of your post. And i'm going to assume that even with the downgrade that you aren't able to flash dd-wrt? (another point you really aren't clear on)

What i would do here is try to downgrade you factory firmware to what the 3800's wiki specifies, after which, i would then try flashing the WNDR3800's dd-wrt image and see if this brings success.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
teknician89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Buddee,

Thank you for the response. My apologies for the ambiguity. I was able to successfully use TFTP to downgrade to 1.0.0.4 of the factory WNDRMACv2 firmware. This is the earliest firmware version available for the WNDRMACv2 on Netgear's website. I can also use TFTP to upgrade to the latest version of the WNDRMACv2's firmware, 1.0.0.20 . It looks like I can easily move between versions of valid Netgear firmware released for the WNDRMACv2.

With the router flashed to factory WNDRMACv2 1.0.0.4, I did try using TFTP to flash the router with Netgear's official WNDR3800 firmware (version 1.0.0.16), as recommended by the the WNDR3800 wiki page. I observed the same LED blinking behavior described in my first post - the router's Power LED continued blinking while in recovery mode, waiting for a valid image to be sent to it.

Interestingly, I found an image of OpenWRT that looks like it was specifically built for the WNDRMACv2. It is here:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndrmacv2-squashfs-factory.img

I was able to successfully flash this image to the router. It flashed and rebooted, but I believe it is just the basics and to be useful would require significant configuration. I haven't much looked into OpenWRT, but it looks like it is very modular and gives advanced users ultimate control over the hardware. While this is amazing, I currently don't have the time to build and configure everything from scratch, which is why I am trying to go with DD-WRT Smile. With the OpenWRT image flashed, I was not able to get a terminal into the hardware, but I didn't try very hard. Instead, I reflashed the router with Netgear's latest factory image to bring it back to a known state.

I am pretty *nix savvy. Perhaps I can try building DD-WRT from source specifically for the WNDRMACv2. From the Google machine, I found what looks like a diff file for OpenWRT where the guy added the WNDRMACv2 as a build target. Here is that URL:

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2011-December/013144.html

I might be able to incorporate that information into the Makefile for DD-WRT. I'll have to look into it when I get a little time.

Any thoughts? TIA!
teknician89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I looked into what it may take to build DD-WRT from source, and it looks like a little more than I want to dive into right now. I think that if I can get the WNDR3800 firmware into the WNDRMACv2, then it will be a cakewalk to get DD-WRT into the router.

It looks like I cannot push the WNDR3800 firmeare into the router with TFTP while the router is in recovery mode, so I was thinking that I might be able to flash via the JTAG header. I have access to a JTAG debugger, so my question is this:

Can I flash any firmware I want (even to the detriment of the router) via JTAG?

I think so - JTAG can get you access to some pretty low level stuff, but I'd like to hear the experts weigh in Smile.

Thanks, all!
truecolors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Such sad news seeing tftp flash fails to put 3800's firmware on the macv2...
teknician89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I have been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to pour into this project. Fortunately, though, I found some work someone else did on it. Ogre1 figured it out and was kind enough to upload an image. I successfully flashed DD-WRT onto my WNDRMACv2 with his image. The router took it with no problems and I was up and running in 5 minutes. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=778551

Here is the link to download the image:
https://sites.google.com/a/ogremustcrush.com/www/files/DD-WRT-WNDRMACv2-b22118.img?attredirects=0

Props to you, Ogre1! Thank you!!!
mrbrahman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 16:42    Post subject: WAN IP 0.0.0.0 Reply with quote
Thanks for the links!

I flashed my WNDRMACv2 yesterday with the second link above, and the flashing process itself was very smooth. Also did a 30/30/30 reset once flash was complete.

I have a cable modem from Optimum (Cablevision) for my internet. With the DHCP setting, I'm seeing wan IP as 0.0.0.0 on top right. Is there any other setting that needs to be done to get this working?

Thank you.
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you reboot the modem? And then maybe the router again?

Is that a cable system expecting a particular MAC? If so, clone the MAC in the router that it's expecting/needs.

Try changing the "STP" setting in the router's WAN section.
mrbrahman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your kind response.

Yes, rebooted modem, and router.

I'm not sure if the Optimum (Cablevision) is expecting a particular MAC. How can I know for sure?

If I use other routers (with their own firmware), they just work out-of-the-box without having to do MAC cloning. Does that mean this is not a system that needs MAC cloning? Please help me understand.

I remember changing the STP setting on the DD-WRT page, and it didn't help. Will try again to confirm today evening.

Thank you!
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, since those routers would have varying MACs, that almost certainly means that your cable system is flexible about the MAC.

Just in case though, if STP doesn't help, try cloning your current PC MAC address (DD-WRT fills it in for you) and then rebooting the modem followed by the router.

Systems that support WAN MAC DHCP (Automatic) are rarely difficult beyond those few possibilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: