D-Link DIR-860L A1: Known defects

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any login enabled?

If anything grows, they are likely in the /tmp/ folder.
Sponsor
kilovar40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 16:07    Post subject: Re: Frequent disconnects Reply with quote
kilovar40 wrote:

I have something similar, but not related to gaming.

When I restart my router the available memory slowly drops regardless of the DNSMasq setting, and eventually will freeze. When I change the DNSMasq setting (again, it does not matter what the setting is as long as I change it) the available memory leak stops and then it runs for days or weeks without any problem.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas what could be the cause?

I've read the wiki pages on router slowdowns and I am not running any peer to peer apps.

Thanks all for you responses.

1. I tried enabling 5GHz channel, but it made no difference.
2. UPNP is disabled
3. I tried finding a growing log in the /tmp directory, but count not find anything. Of course this does not mean that it's not there

What I see is exactly as described by a_l
gsr001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:04    Post subject: Can't get the firmware on Reply with quote
Sorry to hijack the thread (feel free to have me post separately), but this is the most active thread I've found for DIR-860L A1 and I figured it might help other people stuck like me to find it.

I've been trying to flash to DD-WRT all evening with no succes. Haven't found any specific instructions for this model, so tried following the generic wiki install post. After a hard reset I have a blank page appearing in my browser, offering to upload a firmware. I load the factory to ddwrt bin (tried 26534 from the supported devices list and r28647 from this thread), but after that I can't access anything anymore.

IP remains 192.168.0.1 (not 192.168.1.1, so DD-WRT doesn't seem to have taken on). The web interface times out and so does a ping. If I do a 30 second reset, th best I can get is a TTL=100 through ping.

Also tried tftp2 Gui exe, but it hasn't worked for me (I'm on Win7, so it might be the timing issue I've read about).

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

PS: While on the "upload firmware" page, using the latest Dlink bin works fine, I can reboot into version 1.10. Is it an issue with getting rid of the NVRAM settings?
Twingo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Directly upgrade from your dlink router firmware upgrade would work, the factory reset/restore firmware tool is designed for stock firmware only; you only need to log into 192.168.0.1, then select system tool, and upgrade the firmware with a DD-WRT for 860L and that would be it, give it a few minutes to let it complete reboot and you will be able to access 192.168.1.1 to see DD-WRT running on your 860L.
yydcool
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 20:12    Post subject: ipkg update error after JFFS enabled Reply with quote
ipkg update error after JFFS enabled
Hi!
I followed the tutorial to enable JFFS. But my "ipkg update" give me this error:

root@DD-WRT:~# cd /jffs
root@DD-WRT:/jffs# mkdir -p /jffs/tmp/ipkg
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg update
mkdir: can't create directory '//usr/local/lib/': Read-only file system

This DIR-860L A1 router has 95MB space available, I want to use it to install some optware like python. I'm using r27490 version

root@DD-WRT:~# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 26496 26496 0 100% /
/dev/root 26496 26496 0 100% /
/dev/mtdblock/5 98304 2308 95996 2% /jffs
yydcool
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 15:48    Post subject: Re: ipkg update error after JFFS enabled Reply with quote
I tried Entware, and it works.
https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-ng/wiki/Install-on-DD-WRT

yydcool wrote:
ipkg update error after JFFS enabled
Hi!
I followed the tutorial to enable JFFS. But my "ipkg update" give me this error:

root@DD-WRT:~# cd /jffs
root@DD-WRT:/jffs# mkdir -p /jffs/tmp/ipkg
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg update
mkdir: can't create directory '//usr/local/lib/': Read-only file system

This DIR-860L A1 router has 95MB space available, I want to use it to install some optware like python. I'm using r27490 version

root@DD-WRT:~# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 26496 26496 0 100% /
/dev/root 26496 26496 0 100% /
/dev/mtdblock/5 98304 2308 95996 2% /jffs
robertjm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 18:58    Post subject: power light stays at orange Reply with quote
Hi all,

I was reading the first post, and it seems that this is a fixed issue, so I wanted to double check if I'm just not understanding the Update that was posted.

I have a DIR-860L, which I flashed DD-WRT v3.0-r30356 std (08/04/16).

It loads up fine, and seems to function fine. I've noticed a few times when the power button will flash between green and orange really fast (almost like as if it were an electrical short). But, then it generally sticks to being solid Orange.

Since the router generally works I haven't really been worried about it. But, this is my first go-round with DD-WRT, so I'm curious whether I should be expecting that, or not.

Totally unrelated issue is that it doesn't seem to elegantly disconnect from my VPN when I change OpenVPN status to disabled. Yes, it disconnects, and goes back to my normal internet service provider's connection. But, if I decide to go back onto the VPN an hour later, it seems like I have to ultimately reboot the router to "clean" up something that's sitting in some buffer. Once that's done I can connect up just fine.

Am I not understanding the proper way to disconnect, and then reconnect? Or is there a glitch with that particular build I'm running?

Thanks all!

Robert
TheTripod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I bought a DIR-860L rev A1 only to discover its IPv6 functionality is borked with the way my ISP does IPv6 via SLAAC/PD on Australia's NBN network, so hoping DD-WRT can help with this.

I see the A1 revision is not fully supported or the like as nothing comes up for it on the main DD-WRT search pages, only the B1, but I see there are A1 beta versions available on the FTP. Should I just roll with the latest December 2016 one or is there a specific version that is best for the A1? Also regarding the process, I assume I just flash it with factory-to-ddwrt.bin and then dir860-webflash.bin after and that's it?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Well just bit the bullet and rolled with the latest beta, flashed the factory-to-ddwrt.bin first and it seemed to flash to the full version right away or something, reflashed with the dir860-webflash.bin just to be safe though and all seems good so far, IPv6 works too. It's truly a miracle that this project exists and allows users like me to escape the bugs in D-Link's garbage stock firmware!
robertjm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to see it is working for you! I actually hadn't flashed anything new since I used the original one over a year ago! Sounds like they have continued to roll improvements in. May just have to flash a new one this weekend.

Later,

Robert
TheTripod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something that has caught my eye, I've noticed that the CPU temp is about a constant 81 - 82c~ and the Wireless cards are at around 54c~ constantly too, ambient temperature is about 26 - 29c and I'm not overclocking it from the default 800Mhz at all. I see others have reported temps from 60-70c~ or so, should I be worried?
robertjm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish I could answer that. But, I honestly don't know. That would definitely catch me euphemism too!

I'm not in front of the computer right now. But, will take a look when I get back there to see what I'm getting.

Robert

TheTripod wrote:
Something that has caught my eye, I've noticed that the CPU temp is about a constant 81 - 82c~ and the Wireless cards are at around 54c~ constantly too, ambient temperature is about 26 - 29c and I'm not overclocking it from the default 800Mhz at all. I see others have reported temps from 60-70c~ or so, should I be worried?
Amok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
robertjm wrote:
I wish I could answer that. But, I honestly don't know. That would definitely catch me euphemism too!

I'm not in front of the computer right now. But, will take a look when I get back there to see what I'm getting.

Robert

TheTripod wrote:

I can't answer definitively, but mine was rebooting often until I removed the front of the case. I intended to attach a 'puller' fan to the top to help ventilation. It works so much better with just the case off, I've just left it alone. Whether that's not fixing if if it ain't broke, or sheer laziness, I'll leave to you to decide.
dragosdex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 17:52    Post subject: D-Link DIR-860L A1 searching for better speed Reply with quote
Hi. I am a recent DIR-860L(rev.A1) router owner and I want to share here my experience with you. Bare in mind that I am just a regular user and by no means an expert!

I did not want to get stuck with the stock firmware so I started searching and testing different releases.

First I downloaded the r27506 release. I reset the router to factory defaults. Then I flashed the factory-to-ddwrt.bin via web gui/firmware upgrade. After router booted into DD-WRT, I did firmware upgrade again, this time I flashed dir860-webflash.bin. The router restarted again and it was all good, WAN, LAN, WIFI.

I encountered the following issues with this release:
- wireless sometimes was dropping on smartphones
- the CPU temp never dropped below 70 degrees
- speedtest results showed low download/upload rates

I have a 500Mbps internet connection and this is a gigabit router. What's going on? Shocked

I reverted back to D-Link official firmware DIR-860L_FW_REVA1_1.08B02-2014-03-05 and did the speedtest again. Got better results on the speed, but still not even close to gigabit.

Searching the web I come across this unofficial beta frimware: DIR-860L_FW_REVA1_FW1.07beta(0213153355) wich was supposed to go 800Mbps+ on speed. Flashed it and did the speedtest:

With this firmware I obtained the best speed on this router so far.

Searching even further I come across Kong's DD-WRT releases. The one that I think is the best for this router is the 30560M release. It doesn't have any bugs. Fast and stable! This Kong guy is the best! Thank you! Speedtest results with this release is still low tho:

The CPU teperature was still high. To fix it I had to put a 4cmx4cm/12V cooler inside the router and that
lowered the temperature to around 58 degrees.

Looking forward to see if anyone finds a firmware with better speed.
Amok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tried r31722.

The status web page shows the radio statuses as on, but I don't see it on the 5GHz band. Tried a factory reset and a hard reset. Neither brought it back. Temperatures looked ok. Wired performance was about what I expected. 2.4G performance seems 'ok'.
Amok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amok wrote:
Just tried r31722.

The status web page shows the radio statuses as on, but I don't see it on the 5GHz band. Tried a factory reset and a hard reset. Neither brought it back. Temperatures looked ok. Wired performance was about what I expected. 2.4G performance seems 'ok'.

Played with it some more. Tried back flashing some earlier r's, including a previously working r28647. Nope. Went back to OEM firmware. Worked, so not a hardware issue. <?> Reflashed the r31722 with 'its' factory to ddwrt mini, then the full FW. Nope. <sigh>

Navigation

Jump to: