TP-Link Archer C9 Brick Fix (Revert To Stock Possibly)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
abazaglia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 18:44    Post subject: 12.bin file for Archer C9 v2 Reply with quote
Hello,

I see 12.bin file was only published for v1. Is there a way to get it for v2? Instructions to generating a 12.bin from a stock firmware will also help.

Thank you.
Sponsor
314JasonB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
bylmy wrote:
snip
If anyone who has successfully flashed their C1900, any advice would be welcome, or if anyone wants to pretty much confirm that it's not possible because it's locked, then that'll be helpful as well.

I'm currently using 31722 on my black archer C1900 V1. I also used a previous build published in february, but I can't recall which version.

I followed this guide, but made absolutely sure I got the firmware for my router, not the C9.

I have also reverted to stock between these two builds successfully using this post.
The hex editing part I found was needed, as several devices refused to connect to my 5ghz network with the MAC addresses provided in the CostcoArcherC1900(Black)RevertToStock zip.

The only issue I've noticed is incorrect WAN/USB LED function. Samba, USB, FTP, MiniDNLA all work well.
xpact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:45    Post subject: Different region firmware Reply with quote
What would happen if let's say go to the stock TP-Link firware and then lets' say your router is for Europe region and you flash a TP-Link from USA or from Asia assuming you are on the correct hardware version v1 for example?
Linksys WRT3200acm StockOS
Linksys NSLU2 v2 OpenWrt
Linksys WRT54GS v2 dd-wrt
Linksys WRT54GS v5 dd-wrt
TP-Link Archer C9 v1 dd-wrt
TP-Link WR1043ND v1.6 OpenWrt
TP-Link WR841N v8 OpenWrt
MikroTik hAP ac RouterOS
danielfalci

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 19:05    Post subject: Re: TP-Link Archer C9 Brick Fix (Revert To Stock Possibly) Reply with quote
Aboshi wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Figured I would post this here to help some people if they Brick/Semi Brick their router. Just one thing, someone (or myself) will need to strip out the boot loader of the stock firmware if you want to revert to stock.

So this little adventure started when I got fed up with port forwarding not working what so ever with the latest builds of dd-wrt (even putting in the firewall rules it just wont work) Only fix was to shut off the firewall entirely and that is not an option...
So as everyone knows there is a recovery mode on pretty much every new broadcom based router and the Archer C9 is no exception. Now heres the thing, I will walk you all on how to get into recovery mode and flash a new FW through TFTP. Be warned though if you use a stock official firmware without a stripped boot loader you will brick! Only semi brick but still a brick none the less. So if you do this because you don't believe me or just want to test your luck heres how to flash a new FW in recovery mode.

If you have a Mac there is a native TFTP server built in, Windows download TftpD32, Linux just follow the guide.
OSX - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11116/tftpserver
Windows - http://download.cnet.com/Tftpd32/3000-2085_4-10114225.html
Linux - https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/linux_tftp

It goes without saying you need a hard wire connection, plug into one of the Lan ports not the WAN.

1. Download a stripped stock firmware for the Archer C9 (make sure its is the current version you upgraded from to dd-wrt) or you will more than likely run into issues) At the time of this writing there is no stripped FW so you can test your luck with stock FW with boot loader and see if you have better luck than I did, but I highly doubt you will.

2. Rename the Firmware to archerc9v1_tp_recovery.bin

3. Set you ethernet address to 192.168.0.66 subnet 255.255.255.0 (the router will get an address of 192.168.0.86)

4. Place archerc9v1_tp_recovery.bin in your TFPT dir that you are serving out

5. Unplug your router, than hold the reset button on the back and plug the router back in. Hold the reset button for 2-4 seconds than let it go. All of the lights will light up after a short time (this is the firmware being downloaded from your TFTP)

6. If all goes well the router should reboot and all is well, if not the power light will blink slow a few times than rapidly blink.

7. At this point your either back on stock firmware or you just semi bricked because you didn't use a firmware with a stripped out boot loader.

8. If you now have the rapid flashing power light you are only semi bricked, I fixed this by renaming the latest dd-wrt beta to archerc9v1_tp_recovery.bin and re-flashed in recovery and I was back up and running in about 2 mins. At the time of this writing it was ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/06-19-2015-r27378/tplink_archer-c9/

So at this point we can only fix brick/semi bricks back to dd-wrt or if you bricked your official firmware this will get you back on track with official firmware (just remember it needs to be the exact version you had if official)
As soon as I get binwalk working correctly I will try to strip out the boot loader of all official stock images but don't hold your breath as I am very busy lately. Hopefully one of you can handle stripping the boot loader and people can revert back to stock.

Also if any of you have a fix for the port forward issue please let me know because it is a super annoying bug.

Hello, my C9 V2 is running DD-WRT fine but I'm not satisfied with wireless signal. Is it possible to use this to revert it to the TP-Link. stock firmware? Is it the best method?

Thanks!
danielfalci

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
chrisdmc wrote:
Yes, the partition content can be restored and there are multiple ways of achieving that.

But you first have to try to restore the original firmware using TFTP method and if that doesn't work, next step is to confirm TP-Link "product-info" partition was overwritten.

Once you confirm, dmesg can be used from SSH client to get DD-WRT partition layout (should be identical to what I have already reported for the latest DD-WRT firmware). "ddwrt" partition is now used to protect TP-Link "mac", "pin" and "product-info" partitions.
Same "ddwrt" partition can be used to write a custom image (using mtd command) that will restore TP-Link partitions so you can flash later the original firmware via TFTP method.

I believe the above method will be the safest one to not brick your router since nobody confirmed if my ddwrt-to-factory.bin revert image works or not for Archer C9.

Hello! I have installed DD-WRT on my Archer C9 V2 using this guide https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP_Link_Archer_C9

I first updated official drive to Archer C9(UN)_V2_160517 (latest) and then changed it to DD-WRT version 04-05-2016-r29409. After this updated to other versions and now I'm running r30880 fine.

I want to go back to the original TP-Link firmware, so what's the best method for it? TFTP using the original firmware from TP-Link website?

Thanks and regards!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784

Hello Malachi, I have read everything from this discussion but it's still not 100% clear: should I do what the first post from Aboshi says? It will work for V2? Should I use official TP-Link firmware or a modified version? And also, as I first installed a newer DD-WRT version I should have no problems with partitions, etc?

Many thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try it but use the stock firmware for your version of the c9. Rename it accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try it but use the stock firmware for your version of the c9. Rename it accordingly.

Hello Malachi, I've done all the steps:

1- Downloaded an rename latest official TP-LINK firmware.
2- Set ethernet address to 192.168.0.66 and served the file via TFPT.
3- Unplug router, hold down reset button, plug back in and keep holding the reset button for 2-4 sec.
4- Firmware has been copied to the router

But after this router booted up still on DD-WRT. Am I missing something?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to follow this 2 weeks ago. https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=32791&sid=e1beb182722308b716e4bb3ce8a740a0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I had to follow this 2 weeks ago. https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=32791&sid=e1beb182722308b716e4bb3ce8a740a0

Hi Malachi, my router is not bricked, it just got back to DD-WRT without changes.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can still do use serial recovery to get stock back on it or just keep dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You can still do use serial recovery to get stock back on it or just keep dd-wrt.

When I TFTP via network cable it completes the transference but the router don't install the new firmware.

Do you think that via serial I will be able to do it?
Tx!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably, at least you will be able to see what is going on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i hope i posted in the correct place.
I'm looking for a complete flash dump of a Archer C9 V1.0. (EU)

i was flashing firmware from cfe but forgot the offset so i think i managed to override my bootloader with a nice trx linux partition Sad

leds are not all blue,
no network activity(wireshark),
no cfe console on uart,
no recovery tftp,

Leds on: lan (blue), wan(orange),wps(blue)

Photo of led state : https://www.dewolk.eu/owncloud/s/RGQwoqXhitPDnnX/download

spi dump after flash without offset: https://www.dewolk.eu/owncloud/s/ZoFunpzFBZILrJf/download

wished i made that eeprom dump before the flash :/

i think for recovery i need a full spi dump of a eu model Archer c9 v1.0

is there a way to keep the bcm4709 in reset so i can dump/write the flash memory while still on board ?

for the dump i made after i had to de-solder the flash.

Hope you can help me Smile or give me some closure Sad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 22
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: