Nighthawk X10 (R9000)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
lucky_strike33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 17:52    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
Navigates123 wrote:
I have a dual router solution. My primary ISP's modem is Dlink DIR-868L. I have not found a way to extract my pppoE password from the router as it is auto configured via ACS. The provider wouldn't give it. I can see the password on the admin page with a ******. I've tried the inspect element trick but that didn't work. I have tried to do a dump on telnet but can't figure out the username and password as none of the accounts work. The only account on telnet that gives a response is the root, but without the password that is useless. If there is a way to get this information extracted from the router, that would be great.

The backup file is encoded in the .enc format as well.

As for dhcp vs static. The dhcp is broken on the latest firmwares by Kong and BS. The old firmware had this working fine. If I set the ip from dhcp to static, the router will loose all of the network and I'll have to hard code the ip to get back into the admin page. Regardless, the internet goes down even with the staic ip on the TCP/IP settings on the PC which was done to get back in.
The only way to fix this annoying buy is to factory reset and do an nvram erase/reboot. For now I'm staying away from static as it is surely broken and is a bug.

The router from time to time looses all internet once a week and requires a hard reboot. I didn't have such issues with the Netgear X8 so its surely an issue with the firmware and this router.

Not sure what are the benefits of crypto but I haven't seen any in performance. Look forward to kongs next build.

They should give you the login and password. My isp is centurylink and they do give me that info. Keep trying and someone will give it to you.
Sponsor
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 19:10    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
lucky_strike33 wrote:

They should give you the login and password. My isp is centurylink and they do give me that info. Keep trying and someone will give it to you.

I just did that and one of them did a password reset and gave it to me. I also have the vlan id. Tried it on my backup router which is asus merlin and that worked like a charm. I like having the netgear x10 r9000 as it is superior but not having the vlan working and the stability of ddwrt this may not be my permanent solution.
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

If they sent you that info then that should work.... might be a problem w/r9000 ??? I dunno.

If renews on DHCP after a reboot to the IP it's supposed to have then that is what I would use ... ummm until someone else says different.
'bout all I know

EDIT:
If it does come up with the correct IP using DHCP after a reboot ... you can change 1 number in its WAN MAC and reboot or renew DHCP then see what you get .... change it back and then see what happens ..
... just a thought Confused

The thing is you say it breaks after 24 hrs .... most ISPs have a 1440 minute DHCP renewal like most other router default settings .... If they gave you a STATIC IP then something wrong in their system --- or possibly, I suspose, problem w/r9000 ----

It seems more like R9000 bug in Kong / latest BS build. Why on earth would it not be able to restore connection on static IP setup even after rebooting, unless changed to Automatic WAN DHCP?

Anyway apart from this with Automatic WAN Configuration - DHCP it has been working very stable since few days running DD-WRT v3.0-r32309 std (06/09/17):

Connection Uptime: 5 days, 13:46:41

I even get a feeling the longer it's uptime the better it works.

So things to be looked at:

1. Static WAN IP assignment drop out after X hours and never comes back (even after reboot)
2. VLAN ID assignment
lucky_strike33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 14:14    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
navigates wrote:
lucky_strike33 wrote:

I just did that and one of them did a password reset and gave it to me. I also have the vlan id. Tried it on my backup router which is asus merlin and that worked like a charm. I like having the netgear x10 r9000 as it is superior but not having the vlan working and the stability of ddwrt this may not be my permanent solution.

I have tried to do it as well with kongs and brian slayers firmware and have had no luck. I am back with netgear firmware for now. Hopefully maybe merlin will release one for the r90000. (probably should have said that)
Johnnyde94
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Along with the vpn not working for me I also see that when I’m trying to play overwatch I lag, get disconnected from the server and will have high bufferbloat when testing for it.
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 17:11    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
lucky_strike33 wrote:
navigates wrote:
lucky_strike33 wrote:

I have tried to do it as well with kongs and brian slayers firmware and have had no luck. I am back with netgear firmware for now. Hopefully maybe merlin will release one for the r90000. (probably should have said that)

Hoping for merlin to support this unit is a wishful thinking. I highly doubt it as he has clearly stated that he does not have any intention to even support the new RT-AC5300 which has a different code base.

Merlin is very stable. I have the AC5300 and setting the vlan id took less than 5 minutes. the only downside of the AC5300 is that the transmit power is a lot lesser than the DDWRT version of the r9000. That may require some tweaking but I like the r9000 a lot better to let it go.
ibreakit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnnyde94 wrote:
Along with the vpn not working for me I also see that when I’m trying to play overwatch I lag, get disconnected from the server and will have high bufferbloat when testing for it.

OpenVPN is working in client mode, not sure about the others.

Christmas - change your VLAN ID as required (max 16 via code limitations).

# Setup VLANS

# Switch0 Config
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 4t 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 10 set ports "3t 5t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

# Switch1 Config
swconfig dev switch1 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 3 4 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 set apply

# Assign WAN to VLAN10 and up
vconfig add eth2 10
ifconfig vlan10 up

EDIT: added tag on switch0 port 4, without it the two switches don't communicate.

Last edited by ibreakit on Fri Jun 30, 2017 0:38; edited 1 time in total
cybrnook
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 14:27    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
[quote="navigates"]
lucky_strike33 wrote:

Hoping for merlin to support this unit is a wishful thinking. I highly doubt it as he has clearly stated that he does not have any intention to even support the new RT-AC5300 which has a different code base.

Well, and the fact Merlin only supports brodcom bases Asus routers. R9000 is Annapurnalabs and is a Netgear router. Both of which he doesn't do.... so I think it's beyond wishful thinking.
DeXB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ibreakit wrote:

OpenVPN is working in client mode, not sure about the others.

Christmas - change your VLAN ID as required (max 16 via code limitations).

# Setup VLANS

# Switch0 Config
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 4 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 10 set ports "3t 5t"

# Switch1 Config
swconfig dev switch1 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch1 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 3 4 5t"
swconfig dev switch1 set apply

# Assign WAN to VLAN10 and up
vconfig add eth2 10
ifconfig vlan10 up

So if the VLAN ID is 1104 someone is out of luck?
ibreakit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
DeXB wrote:

Depends, if it's just VID being inspected by the ISP then you can set that to whatever you like, for example, add this command to change the VID of VLAN10 and give it a go:

swconfig dev switch0 vlan 10 set vid 1104
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:15    Post subject: Re: Bug with Static IP's Reply with quote
[quote="cybrnook"]
navigates wrote:
lucky_strike33 wrote:

Well, and the fact Merlin only supports brodcom bases Asus routers. R9000 is Annapurnalabs and is a Netgear router. Both of which he doesn't do.... so I think it's beyond wishful thinking.

Super. I'll try it out. but before I do. can you please confirm if this will work for me? I have vlan id of 20. I also have a vpn applet that works on bootup. This firmware is very buggy. One change from Wan dhcp to staic requires a full config.
navigates
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
ibreakit wrote:
DeXB wrote:

Depends, if it's just VID being inspected by the ISP then you can set that to whatever you like, for example, add this command to change the VID of VLAN10 and give it a go:

swconfig dev switch0 vlan 10 set vid 1104

My vlanid is 20 and it didn't work. Surprisingly. my pppoe username and password also didn't show uptime. so I guess that part of this messed up ddwrt is broken.

I am on this firmware.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M kongal (06/02/17)
Time: 11:18:19 up 3 min, load average: 0.05, 0.16, 0.08

BusyBox v1.26.2 (2017-06-02 23:15:12 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 4 6t"
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 vlan 20 set ports "3t 5t"
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 set apply
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch1 set enable_vlan 1
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch1 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 3 4 5t"
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch1 set apply
root@NETGEAR:~# vconfig add eth2 20
root@NETGEAR:~# ifconfig vlan20 up
ifconfig: ioctl 0x8913 failed: No such device
ejschenck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 15:09    Post subject: DFS Channels, Easy OpenVPN? Reply with quote
I'll admit I'm a bit new to playing around with DD-WRT (I used it on my R8000 and now on my new R9000).

I really only have it installed so I can access the DFS channels which aren't as congested in my building (for some reason the stock firmware won't let me select them). But what would make my life easier is the ability to EASILY set up OpenVPN under the DD-WRT firmware.

Can anyone direct me to a simple setup guide to allow my iPhone / iPad to tunnel back to my home router when on the go?
ibreakit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
navigates wrote:

root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 4 6t"
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 vlan 20 set ports "3t 5t"
root@NETGEAR:~# vconfig add eth2 20
root@NETGEAR:~# ifconfig vlan20 up
ifconfig: ioctl 0x8913 failed: No such device

You can't make a VLAN higher than 16, so you need to use 10, and set the VID parameter.

Try this instead:

root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0t 1 2 4t 6t"
root@NETGEAR:~# swconfig dev switch0 vlan 10 set ports "3t 5t"

swconfig dev switch0 vlan 10 set vid 20
swconfig dev switch0 show
Check the VLAN ID is now 20

VLAN 10:
vid: 20
ports: 3t 5t

root@NETGEAR:~# vconfig add eth2 10
root@NETGEAR:~# ifconfig vlan10 up
ibreakit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an update from my experiences - it does work once configured correctly.

Uptime: 4 days, no drop outs
DL Speed via LAN: 980MB/s
DL Speed via WLAN (my PC is low): 100MB/s
DL Speed via openVPN client: 10-50MB/s

WLAN does drop out every now and then, but comes back immediately, i'm not entirely sure why at this stage.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 45, 46, 47  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 29 of 47
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: