Plex WOL Mac Pro and TP-Link DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Patrick1610
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 15:04    Post subject: Plex WOL Mac Pro and TP-Link DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hello,

I really hope you guys can help me out! Seems like this is the place where the knowledge is Smile
First of all I will try to explain my setup and what I am trying to accomplish.
I have a Synology NAS which is used to store my media which is streamed by plex(software). It is sufficient for that, but for streaming/transcoding media using plex it is not capable enough. So for the streaming part (using plex) I have a dedicated Mac Pro. This is a reall beast which can handle the streaming part easily, but the downside is that it uses a lot of power. The solution would be to let the Mac sleep when plex is inactive to save power. The problem is, the plex client apps don't support wol, so the Mac never wakes up again when needed. I found the following solution which I am trying to implement: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/3f7d0u/plex_wol_my_setup/

For this I have bought a TP-Link wr1043nd with dd-wrt. Since I am bound to my ISP router (KPN Netherlands) I have to install the TP as a secondary router. I have placed this between my ISP router and the Mac Pro, installed the commands/scripts and edited some lines which seemed to be different on dd-wrt (Reddit poster used tomato so was different). Now when I wol manually from the TP link the Mac wakes up, but when I open plex when the Mac sleeps nothing happens and it stays asleep.

I really hope someone knows anything to fix this and help me save energy Smile
Thank you very much in advance!!

Patrick
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: