Is there a solid unbrick section posted somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MeghansUncle2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 16:46    Post subject: Is there a solid unbrick section posted somewhere? Reply with quote
I looked but didn't really find a good resource. I'm not having the problem right now, but the way I tinker, it's just a matter of time. It would be nice to see a thread containing unbrick instructions for routers, or perhaps a repository somewhere on DD-WRT with the individual unbrick instructions.

I have a TEW-818DRU, and it was easy to flash dd-wrt to it, but I would be way out in the weeds if I had to unbrick it.

Or is there some universal way to flash to a bricked router? I'm new to this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. ~Author unknown.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 19:19    Post subject: Re: Is there a solid unbrick section posted somewhere? Reply with quote
MeghansUncle2 wrote:
It would be nice to see a thread containing unbrick instructions for routers, or perhaps a repository somewhere on DD-WRT with the individual unbrick instructions.
From a high level, one would read the wiki for their device model/version (if there is one) and the various wiki's for recovery modes (TFTP, serial+TFTP, JTAG...), which would best be gleaned by reading the requisite Peacock announcement, probably a few times. Finding device-specific threads and particularly recovery-oriented ones (via Google, as DD's search doesn't have a 'only search subject' option) would be the final (and biggest) step.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
CocoMan73
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20    Post subject: Unbricking TEW-818DRU Reply with quote
I seem to have gotten mine into a strange state. I had a 2014 release (forget the exact build #) up and running but couldn't get NAS features working. I attempted an upgrade to the image listed in the database (r23804) and it never came back up. Seems to be stuck in a reboot loop, USB, Internet, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz lights constant, switch port lights dark most of the time but would all light up every minute or so.

I'm trouble shooting from a MacOS terminal and am not getting any ping responses on any former IP addresses connected by Ethernet. It's also not broadcasting any Wi-Fi signal, which I expected given the behavior but checked just to be sure.

I got the board out now and there's a four pin header just above the reset switch. I think it might be the serial port but I'm not sure and I haven't put a meter to it yet. Does anyone have a board diagram for this router? The hardware compatibility list says there's a JTAG and serial port but I need some help finding them.

Thanks,

-coco
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 17:24    Post subject: Re: Unbricking TEW-818DRU Reply with quote
CocoMan73 wrote:
I'm trouble shooting from a MacOS terminal and am not getting any ping responses on any former IP addresses connected by Ethernet. It's also not broadcasting any Wi-Fi signal, which I expected given the behavior but checked just to be sure.
You would only get a very brief response from TFTP at 192.168.1.1 (TTL=100) right after power on. Did you set a static IP on the computer, with gateway set to the router? I've also read it helps to use a hub or switch between, but I've never needed one.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
CocoMan73
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38    Post subject: Unbricking TEW-818DRU Reply with quote
Yes, mac is on fixed IP (192.168.10.44) and I the device responds to ping briefly on 192.168.10.1 shortly after I first power it on. During that window I have been able to tftp an image to the device. That stops the reboot loop but the device still won't boot the image and only comes up with the CFE miniWeb server. If I upload another image using the web interface i go back to the reboot loop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: