is there a recommended stable beta for WRT1200AC ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21    Post subject: is there a recommended stable beta for WRT1200AC ? Reply with quote
I just purchased a new Linksys WRT1200AC to replace my older Netgear WNDR4500. After doing my research this seem like a good buy for a router that is open source firmware blessed by the mfg, and that it's dual core. I am surprised we don't see a quad core cpu option yet, I would of bought it.

So I wanna run all the extra stuff that seems to load down my WNDR4500, Samba, DNLA, DDNS, VPN, and maybe YAMon. I see BrainSlayer is still producing new updates on a regular basis. The dd-wrt.com router database site shows V3.0 [BETA] Build: 28788 for v1 hardware, and V3.0 [BETA] build: 30796 for the v2 hardware. I saw some threads that mentioned build 31924 (I think) being a good one but then it was removed.

As of this posting the latest build is: 32170.

I did read that there was a slow down in the boot up time after a certain release was issued, not sure if that was the one after 31294 or not.

So I am deployed and just want something that will work and is stable. I remote manage my router from my base overseas, none of my family are very IT savvy. Anyone have any suggestions for the WRT1200AC including the other models in this product family.

Thanks.
Sponsor
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks d0ug,

I just ordered the router from Amazon so not sure which hardware version it will be. Thinking it should be a v2 since I bought it as new and not a refirb.

I am glad to hear you have 3 of these units and that you are using them much in a same fashion that I did with 3 WNDR4500's. Those seem to be finicky on radio setting changes sometimes causing the router to just do a cold reboot or lock up, and 2-1/2 minute reboots. I was also trying to do a WDS link using the 5ghz radios and that was problematic. But it sounds like the WRT1200AC's work much better even if your AP units are hardwired.

I will try and see if I can get a copy of the r31924 build. Everyone says it is really good and stable. What has happened (if you are unaware) is it was pulled (deleted) from the download site. Some sort of bug with a certain router hardware that is not related to the WRT1200AC or its series. At least that is what I read about it somewhere.

I will be in a good position to play and try some different builds and just let it run on my bench for awhile. My WNDR4500's are still working.

Thanks again for your reply,
Dan A.
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just found that thread and you were on it, so you are aware of the r31924 build being pulled.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309686

But thanks for posting one of the 2 files for the v2 version for downloading. I have already downloaded and saved it.
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick update since my last.

I paid something like just under $90 for a new one if I remember right. I visited the official Linksys ebay page you mentioned. I will be keeping an eye on that one for sure. But d0ug, you got a steal of a deal on what you paid from what I can tell, good job.

My WRT1200ACv2 arrived at my base last week. Looked at the stock firmware just to see what it could do and if it would fit my needs at all... it doesn't even come close.

Loaded r31924 (thx d0ug), configured it for my needs, did some testing and then turned on Syslog, Samba, mini-dlna, and then added YAMon. So far this router is a champ. I am hoping the dd-wrt firmware is utilizing the dual core processor, as CPU load and running TOP in a SSH only shows a single load percentage. But it very seldom get very high, like well below 5% and when it did get real high, over 50% it wasn't for long. I think that had to do with the YAMon initial install.

- Boot up time is about 30 to 35 seconds (way faster than my WNDR4500's)
- File transfer speed to an USB3 external hard drive were around 600 to 800 Mbps and just touching 1 Gbps which is the limit of my gigabit Ethernet link to my laptop. Very pleased with that, did not test the esata port.
- I like the front panel indicators, WAN shows an amber'ish color until it picks up an IP via DHCP from the cable modem. Then turns to the same color as the power indicator, blue'ish. The radio lights only come on once a client make a connection to the router. The Ethernet ports show a small dot next to them when gigabit Ethernet connections are being used.

Currently I am not using or have plans to use the radios on this router, don't need them (I have an Aruba system for that). I needed a pure router that had plenty of horsepower, memory and was open source FW ready. This is it! No doubt the 2.4 & 5 Ghz radios are awesome. I tested them, but not going to make any comments toward that side of the hardware.

d0ug, thanks again for all your help and assistance. You postings of your experience and knowledge were very valuable.

Looking forward to shipping this back home, having the family connect it up and see how it does in a real world environment.
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for that update. I wasn't aware there was a vulnerability with the openVPN module. I was about to enable and configure the router for openVPN, but will hold off for now. Not having it is not a show stopper, just a nice bell & whistle for me.

I will keep my eyes open for a new build release, I hope it turns out to be as stable as r31924 has been for me. I have notice a couple of minor bugs on r31924 that have been mentioned by others. The Samba nmdb not loading thus not letting shares be seen on PC's. This also seems to affect the minidlna at the same time. Stopping and restarting samba fixes it if it fails to startup during a boot up.
WusteRatte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:32    Post subject: Locating a download for r31924 build Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
If you have v2 of the WRT1200AC then it seems at this time the 31924 build is the most stable current build for this router.

This is the same hardware that I have. I have 3 of them throughout my home. 1 doing all the routing, dhcp, dns, OpenVPN server and client to PIA. The other 2 are just being used as APs/switches.

I do not use any of them for the NAS/Samba feature though. So I cannot tell you how well that works. I have a dedicated NAS box for my purposes.

I am trying to find a download location for the r31924 build, without any luck. Can someone point me in the right direction?
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:46    Post subject: Re: Locating a download for r31924 build Reply with quote
WusteRatte wrote:
d0ug wrote:
If you have v2 of the WRT1200AC then it seems at this time the 31924 build is the most stable current build for this router.

This is the same hardware that I have. I have 3 of them throughout my home. 1 doing all the routing, dhcp, dns, OpenVPN server and client to PIA. The other 2 are just being used as APs/switches.

I do not use any of them for the NAS/Samba feature though. So I cannot tell you how well that works. I have a dedicated NAS box for my purposes.

I am trying to find a download location for the r31924 build, without any luck. Can someone point me in the right direction?

WusteRatte,
You will not find it on the download or ftp beta site, it has been pulled. As long as you're logged in to this forum go to this thread, look about half way down page-1 and you will see download links from d0ug for the WRT1200ACv2 hardware and another from spuriousoffspring for the WRT1200ACv1 hardware platform.

Go and find this thread "What's the recommendation with r31924 on wrt1900ac v1?" or the link below should take you to it.

https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309686

d0ug did not post the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file for the v2 hardware for r31924. But just go and get the previous build or the router database recommended build for this file. Then once you have it loaded and running, just upgrade to the r31924 build. That's what I did, worked like a champ.

Also be aware that this hardware family had dual boot partitions. Read this thread if you need to boot back to the OEM firmware which will be on the un-used partition if you didn't do something to overwite it.

https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813

If you are an avid DD-WRT user then you should know what I am talking when I say .... DO NOT DO A 30/30/30! That was only for much older routers. You can brick your router that way. (quoted from spuriousoffspring) I've been very and extremely happy with the r31924 build on my WRT1200ACv2 so far. Good Luck.
PhobMX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys

I just installed build 31924 and it's been running stable for a week, however using the radios works ok but not perfect. First of all you cannot select the control channel in either frequency, and on top of that when using WPA personal encryption, the 2.4 wifi cannot connect to some old devices using TKIP+AES in mixed ABGN mode. These exact same settings were running for years in my old WRT610N. Just to make all devices connect I have to use TKIP which causes a max connection of 54Mbps, AES allows compatible devices to reach 128Mbps over 2.4ghz so this is not ideal. I have specifically an IPTV box that doesn't work optimally at 54Mbps.

Any other suggestions? I might just dump DD-WRT altogether because of this and try openwrt or tomato
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong just released a new build for the WRT1200AC

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Kong just released a new build for the WRT1200AC

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/

Is this just for the v1 hardware or is it for either the v1 or v2 platforms? I don't see any thing on that ftp site that delineates between models and hardware versions. Do you think this build is supposed to be good for all Marvel based units??

If I keep going up on the folders, it quickly dumps me out to what I'm guessing is his main webpage.

spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I don't have a WRT1200. See if @ATHF can give you more info. Good luck!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311866

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for being so late, had a flooded cellar, then totaled my car... It seems it is for both versions, if I remember right, his all were...
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: