Updated DIR890L to newest Kong build, Chromecasts don't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jfitzpatrick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Updated DIR890L to newest Kong build, Chromecasts don't work Reply with quote
I've been running DD-WRT on my D-Link 890L for years now and I just ran into a bizarre problem that, so far, I've been unable to get to the bottom of. Here's the full run down:

A few days ago I flashed my 890 from a very old version of standard DD-WRT (we're talking shamefully out of date, r266653 from Apr 2015). Under that version, I had zero problems with the Chromecast. The router and the Chromecasts would stay online indefinitely and I rebooted the router probably twice a year, if that.

I flashed from that old version to newest version of Kong's DD-WRT release (the 11/04/2017 release of dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000 for the DIR890).

Since then, the Chromecasts are in this bizarre limbo where they can connect to the internet just fine (they pull down new photos from the background service) but after 30-60 minutes they simply vanish from sight as far as any casting apps are concerned. After that initial grace period, if you will, you can no longer cast from the desktop or from mobile devices.

Here's the run down on what I've done/checked:

The Wi-Fi settings, to the best of my recollection, are identical (same SSID, same password, same security settings) to the way they used to be.

UPnP is on.

The DNS is identical (I'm still using Google's DNS servers).

I set static IPs for the Chromecasts to rule out DHCP errors.

I've factory reset the Chromecasts and reconfigured them from scratch.

All Chromecasts are running the most recent public-release firmware.

Here's my Wi-Fi settings, if that will help shed any light on things:

Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Network Name: Wireless
Wireless Channel: Auto
Channel Width: 20 Mhz
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Optimize Multicast Traffic: Disable
Explicit Beamforming: Disable
Implicit Beamforming: Disable
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Network Configuration: Bridged

The configuration is the same for all three access points, the 2.4 GHz and the two 5 GHz.

The security is set to WPA2 Personal (TKIP+AES). Same settings and passwords for all three access points.

Any thoughts? I can't, for the life of me, figure out why the Chromecasts worked with the old DD-WRT firmware and don't work now.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you reset the router when you updated?

Normally we do
Code:
erase nvram
from the command prompt, I do not know if this feasable for your router otherwise reset from GUI, always put your settings in manually do not restore from backup.

The latest versions have patched drivers regarding the KRACK attack, these are a bit buggy atlthough Kong's latest 33675 is reasonably stable.

If you have resetted the router and have reinstalled the chromecast and the apps and still have problems you might consider downgrading to 33525, Clonevince has all the older firmware

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
jfitzpatrick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Did you reset the router when you updated?

I did the 30/30/30 method before I flashed the Kong firmware (which reset the DIR890 back to the recovery firmware) and then installed from there. No backup settings used, I manually reconfigured everything.

Frankly, I'm so sick of trying things out only to have them do nothing (since it takes 30-60 minutes or more for the Chromecasts to vanish that means it takes a whole day to test even a handful of things), I'm more than willing to just wipe the nvram and input everything again.

What's the DD-WRT lifestyle without a little erase nvram fun, right?
BigSnicker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, I have a DIR-890L and have been playing around with quite a few of the recent firmware updates, often finding small problems with wireless interworking since the KRACK fix was introduced.

The best recent version I've found for this router is the BS v33555 load, which doesn't include the KRACK fix (AFAIK) but has been super solid and fast otherwise.

Have two Chromecasts working fine on it as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: