R7800 First Install, BS or Kong?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
TXTornados
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am been studying the Peacock Thread and Installation Guide and I think that I getting near to flashing my X4S to dd-wrt, but I am wondering which build is better, is BS or Kong's build better?

I see that there are are few issues with the lights not working or wifi speeds may be affected, and according the Peacock Thread it the latest build is not the best idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is no peacock thread here, this is qualcomm atheros section not broadcom, so ignore most of what it says.

kong builds have "additional testing" so just start there i guess, as at least the factory.img file works & httpd (user interface) doesnt crash everywhere like current brainslayer builds...

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

TXTornados
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
there is no peacock thread here, this is qualcomm atheros section not broadcom, so ignore most of what it says.

kong builds have "additional testing" so just start there i guess, as at least the factory.img file works & httpd (user interface) doesnt crash everywhere like current brainslayer builds...

Thanks for replying, but WOW! That throws a monkey wrench in my plans! I have been studying the wrong instructions.

I have access to Kong's build for R7800. But now I need to verify the installation instructions so I do not brick my router, can you provide the instructions so I can follow to flash to dd-wrt and upgrade to the latest build?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
use the factory img file from stock firmware, that is all. when on ddwrt use webupgrade to downgrade/upgrade ddwrt <--> ddwrt

once ddwrt is installed, view the wifi settings link below in green font

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

TXTornados
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
use the factory img file from stock firmware, that is all. when on ddwrt use webupgrade to downgrade/upgrade ddwrt <--> ddwrt

Just one more thing. So do I need to follow the following steps?

Step 1. Use wired connection from laptop or desktop.
Step 2. Reset 30-30-30.
Step 3. Type in the IP address (192.168.1.1) to connect in browser.
Step 4. Go into Administration, Advanced, Administration, Firmware Upgrade, then choose "R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img" file. Let install
Step 5. Reset 30-30-30. Wait for dd-wrt screen.
Step 6. Login and go to Administration, Advanced, Administration, Firmware Upgrade, then choose "ddwrt-netgear-R7800.bin" file. Let install.
Step 7. Reset 30-30-30. Wait for completion.
Step 8. Login and configure.

Is this the correct steps?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
TXTornados wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

Just one more thing. So do I need to follow the following steps?

Step 1. Use wired connection from laptop or desktop.
Step 2. Reset 30-30-30.
Step 3. Type in the IP address (192.168.1.1) to connect in browser.
Step 4. Go into Administration, Advanced, Administration, Firmware Upgrade, then choose "R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img" file. Let install
Step 5. Reset 30-30-30. Wait for dd-wrt screen.
Step 6. Login and go to Administration, Advanced, Administration, Firmware Upgrade, then choose "ddwrt-netgear-R7800.bin" file. Let install.
Step 7. Reset 30-30-30. Wait for completion.
Step 8. Login and configure.

Is this the correct steps?

No need for 30/30/30. Just reset to,factory default from with dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I want to return my X4S to factory settings, what are the steps that I need to follow when I use Kong's "dd-wrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin" file?

I have been working with dd-wrt on my X4S and found that my ISP speed is about 100Mbps when I had 250Mbps before the flash. I have worked with the wireless settings and continue to get too many errors coming up and speeds of 50Mbps.

So I want to return to factory settings and reevaluate. I don't want to brick my router.

Thanks.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
TXTornados wrote:
If I want to return my X4S to factory settings, what are the steps that I need to follow when I use Kong's "dd-wrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin" file?

I have been working with dd-wrt on my X4S and found that my ISP speed is about 100Mbps when I had 250Mbps before the flash. I have worked with the wireless settings and continue to get too many errors coming up and speeds of 50Mbps.

So I want to return to factory settings and reevaluate. I don't want to brick my router.

Thanks.

you might want to take a look at the FAQ.
TXTornados
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
TXTornados wrote:

Thanks.

you might want to take a look at the FAQ.

Do I flash the bin 1st, then reset to defaults, then issue the console command "mtd erase netgear"?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: