Asus RT-AC56U firmware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Hammer49
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:54    Post subject: Asus RT-AC56U firmware? Reply with quote
I would like to load DDWRT firmware on this router because I would like to turn it into a VPN Wi-Fi router for multiple connections . After reading a whole bunch I still can't seem to find the proper firmware and related download files for this router.can someone lead me in the right direction for the instructions and downloads for this router.

Thanks
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/12-14-2017-r34080/asus-rt-ac56u/asus_rt-ac56u-firmware.trx
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fyi, I whipped up a quick wiki for the AC56U:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC56U

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Hammer49
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both
cookieshmoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 20:44    Post subject: can't find router in recovery mode Reply with quote
i followed your instructions but i can't seem to find the router in recovery mode. all the docs seem to say that the router ought to be blinking slowly, but i can only get it to blink quickly, so im not even sure i am in recovery mode. any ideas?
Hammer49
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
So dont use {asus_rt-ac56u-firmware.trx} to flash router OR use it. then use [dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin] to update router with the new bin file.I just need a little more help in the right direction.

Is the kong build the best and most stable build for making a VPN router?

Thank You
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
asus_rt-ac56u-firmware.trx is the only file you should use.
djclubber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

Hi I also require some advice.

Just got a ASUS RT AC56U Router. Want to put DD WRT on it, can you point me in the right direction please. Looked at several posts but not confident to try it without assistance.

I am going to ask, do I just put the downloaded TRK file as a firmware upgrade in the Router Login Settings? So do I just upgrade the Firmware using the downloaded TRK file? Or is it more involved.

TY
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:

I'm too lazy to add your nice guide. Lol. I've found sometimes the asus restoration tool doesn't work, especially with non asus firmware. Sometimes the mini cfe web browser doesn't work but you don't have that option listed.
Also I have found tftpd32 to work more often than the other two, so you may want to add those as options.

If on recent asus firmware the only way to flash asus routers is using the restoration tool, mini cfe web server and my favorite way, tftpd32 as asus has put in checks to prevent third party firmware.

Last edited by Malachi on Sat May 12, 2018 1:06; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
djclubber wrote:
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

Just got a ASUS RT AC56U Router. Want to put DD WRT on it, can you point me in the right direction please. Looked at several posts but not confident to try it without assistance.

I am going to ask, do I just put the downloaded TRK file as a firmware upgrade in the Router Login Settings? So do I just upgrade the Firmware using the downloaded TRK file? Or is it more involved.

TY

Read my last post and click on the link that jwh7 linked to. Not much more we can do if you won't read a few posts and follow guides.

If you want to pay for two way shipping and $10 I'll flash it for you. Lol

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. I am going to use Putty and flash that way, can I just ask, which is the trx file and bin file I need for the latest DD WRT Firmware? I think I have to flash using the TRX then flash again using the BIN. But which files do I need out of the listed please?

Malachi wrote:
djclubber wrote:
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

TY

Read my last post and click on the link that jwh7 linked to. Not much more we can do if you won't read a few posts and follow guides.

If you want to pay for two way shipping and $10 I'll flash it for you. Lol
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
If using brainslayer builds only use the file made for your router. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/05-11-2018-r35916/asus-rt-ac56u/

If you want, you can use kong's builds after flashing brainslayer build. Use the std.bin
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Who said to use putty to flash it? You seem to have a hard time following the directions. May I ask, is English a second language for you? If it is, I apologize.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
If using brainslayer builds only use the file made for your router. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/05-11-2018-r35916/asus-rt-ac56u/

If you want, you can use kong's builds after flashing brainslayer build. Use the std.bin

Who said to use putty to flash it? You seem to have a hard time following the directions. May I ask, is English a second language for you? If it is, I apologize.

Yes UK... Apologies, I am a total NEWBIE. I do read and was on the right track. I am grateful for your support. 100%. I have been reading and was led to believe that I flash using the Putty to sign in, clear the nvram, load the trx file then follow a procedure for the bin file. Am I totally out here?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
djclubber wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Yes UK... Apologies, I am a total NEWBIE. I do read and was on the right track. I am grateful for your support. 100%. I have been reading and was led to believe that I flash using the Putty to sign in, clear the nvram, load the trx file then follow a procedure for the bin file. Am I totally out here?

From a few posts up. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC56U

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
djclubber wrote:
Malachi wrote:

From a few posts up.

Malachi wrote:
jwh7 wrote:

I'm too lazy to add your nice guide. Lol. I've found sometimes the asus restoration tool doesn't work, especially with non asus firmware. Sometimes the mini cfe web browser doesn't work but you don't have that option listed.
Also I have found tftpd32 to work more often than the other two, so you may want to add those as options.

If on recent asus firmware the only way to flash asus routers is using the restoration tool, mini cfe web server and my favorite way, tftpd32 as asus has put in checks to prevent third party firmware.

Navigation

Jump to: