Asus rt-n13u serial recovery (SOLVED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
tman904
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 0:41    Post subject: Asus rt-n13u serial recovery (SOLVED) Reply with quote
Hi, I bought an asus rt-n13u and based upon the ebay listing it was fully functional but lone behold once I received it I found out it's stuck in rescue mode with just the blue power led blinking slowly. If I plug in an ethernet cable into the lan or wan ports the lights glow solid blue also if I ping 192.168.1.1 the lights flicker like the ports are receiving the packets. So after disabling my firewall and antivirus I tried to flash the stock asus firmware from their site using the firmware restoration software it uploads the entire file fine but after the long wait of "auto system recovery in progress" message it fails to contact the device and it remains in rescue mode. I disassembled the unit and discovered that there's already pins present for a serial connection and I found the pinout online I have an adapter that will work fine but I need to know what vcc voltage to use 3.3v or 5v my adapter supports both but I want to be sure before I connect it up to my laptop.

here's the pinout

Last edited by tman904 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 18:43; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kurochkin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's 3.3 volt, of course.
That's usually mentioned on every page you see a pinout.
tman904
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm? I hadn't seen anything mentioning the voltage but I wanted to be sure before I hooked it up so I didn't destroy the board. If I had accidentally hooked up 5v to the vcc pin would that burn the board or what? I just wondered since I'm still fairly new to electrical components and serial connections. Thank you very much for your help.
tman904
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to bump a really old thread I just happened to check up on ddwrt today. I was able to fix the asus rtn13u by using the asus tftp rescue tool along with a serial console connection to start the tftp server on the router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: