Netgear R6300v2 Advanced Debrick Notes By Sploit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
phatTweaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
I have a R6300v2 that I am pretty sure I have bricked.
I flashed it with factory-to-dd-wrt.chk and then flashed to Kong dd-wrt.K3_R6300V2.chk dated 2017-11-04.
I set it up as a client bridge and it worked great..then I unpluged it to move it to a different place in my house and when I plugged it back in it was bricked.
The power light, Online light, wifi light and wds light are all lit solid (none blink).
Windows says "network cable unplugged" (tried all 4 lan and even the wan port), Tried changing PC address to static 192.168.1.10 and then tried pinging 192.168.1.1 and all I get is "Destination host is unreachable".
I've tried all the usual power on with restet held etc and still no go.

I'm guessing my only option is to try a serial adapter?
I have ordered a CP2102 USB 2.0 to UART TTL 6PIN Serial Converter w/ cables from ebay and am waiting for it to arrive ( I hope its the right kind?).

My question is why did unplugging the router and then plugging it back in brick the router?

is there anything to try before my serial adapter arrives?

When/IF i'm able to unbrick the router how do I avoid this from happening again if I need to power cycle the router or unplug it and move it?

thanks

s-l1600.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.75 KB
 Viewed:  6260 Time(s)

s-l1600.jpg

Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure why that caused it to brick. That’s the right apadter you ordered.
The fact that all the LEDs are lit up and not blinking is not a good sign.
Whenever I had one like that there was so output

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Not sure why that caused it to brick. That’s the right apadter you ordered.
The fact that all the LEDs are lit up and not blinking is not a good sign.
Whenever I had one like that there was so output

Bad sign as in probably unfixable even with the serial adapter?

I don't understand what went wrong. I had it set up and working as a client bridge for a good 6+ hours with no problems.
I paid $4 for it at Goodwill so its no great loss and who knows it might have been junk when it was donated.

thanks
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the power supply or a capacitor is flaky you can have irreprocible results. cetainly setting up as a bridge should not cause a brick.
is the power supply adequately powered?
phatTweaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried other power bricks of the same ratings and get the same issue.

Just looking at the pcb I don't see any obvious signs of a bad capacitor, although I realize a cap can look perfectly normal and still be bad.

From what I've read bricking from power loss/Unplugging seems to be a somewhat common problem with Netgear 6000 series routers even when running stock firmware.

Hopefully I can fix it when my serial cable arrives, but knowing my luck it's probably destined for the garbage can lol

thanks
phatTweaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
My serial adapter arrived today, but no go. putty just shows a black screen with the green block.
To make sure the adapter was working I connected the rx to tx and was able to see what I typed in putty.

Next I have another router that has serial pins (Belkin F9K1102_v3) hooked it up to the adapter and putty showed the boot process (or whatever it's called) so I know the adapter is working.

I also tried hooking up the rx and tx to the router then powering on and then hooking up gnd (as a possible trick I've read on other threads) and still nothing.

I'm guessing the router is perma bricked?

My setup:
Serial connector J252 w/ Samsung chip just above it.(see pic) Pins left to right 1. Empty, 2. GND, 3. RX, 4. TX. Is this correct?
I also tried reversing the RX and TX which didn't work.

Anything else I can try?

Is there a pin short method of clearing the nvram for this model?
I know pin shorting is not popular these days, but I don't have anything to lose at this point.

thanks

P_20171223_124745_22.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.07 KB
 Viewed:  6217 Time(s)

P_20171223_124745_22.jpg

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
No output, you verified your setup works by trying it on another router.
It's time for a new router.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read a post here https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=950553 where someone talks about shorting pins 41 & 42 on the Samsung K9F1G08U0D-SCB0 chip to cause a crc error and put the router in tftp mode.

They ended up not trying it and I know pin shorting is a taboo subject, but since my router is basically unfixable would it be worth a shot?

Unlike me they was getting output from the serial connection though, so I'm guessing that a pin short wouldn't help me anyway?

anything at all I can try?

thanks and Merry Christmas all
botas11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08    Post subject: no booting into CFE Reply with quote
I bricked my router after overclocking.

I am only receiving the following lines through serial

Digital core power voltage set to 0.9375V
Decompressing...done

(ctl-c or ctl-c-enter does nothing)

also when pinging 192.168.1.1 I get destination host unreachable

any ideas how to make it get into CFE?
phatTweaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have made some progress.

Since I wasn't getting any output from the serial connection I figured I have nothing to loose so why not try pin shorting before tossing the router in the trash.
After reading a post where someone mentions shorting pins 41 & 42 I decided to try it.
I had the cmd ping -t 192.168.1.1 running and after I pin shorted my ping cmd automatically changed to 192.168.1.230 hmmm head scratchier why did it change?
I then looked at the putty window and it was now showing output. woohoo progress!
I then started to ping 192.168.230 and it replied back with ttl=128? hmmm weird..usually with the few routers i've messed with ttl=100 or ttl=64 was the norm.
I decided to power off the router and see if that helped. Nope when I powered back on it was back to no output bricked UGH!
Tried the pin shorting trick a bunch of times with no success. I then unplugged the router and called it a night.
I plugged it back in this morning and boom back in business. not only was I now getting ttl=64 I was able to log in to the webgui and restore defaults (still running Kong DD-WRT).

I am now afraid to shut the router off encase it bricks again.
Should I flash back to the stock Netgear FW?
Is there another version of kong I should flash? I am still running the .chk version, should I flash with a .bin?
Is there a way to have a custom CFE flashed to have a mini websever encase it bricks again?

BTW I have tried leaving the router unplugged over night and it never helped in the past, so I am not sure exactly why it worked this time.
I'm thinking maybe a bad capacitor? or maybe the pin short did something?

attached is 2 boot logs from putty. The first (serial1.txt) is the first output I started getting in putty, it would loop over and over, the second (Serial_reboot.txt) is what putty says when doing a reboot from the dd-wrt gui.

thanks

Edit: Running good for a while then decided to turn it off and back on and its back to being bricked with no serial output.
Unplugged it for a couple hours then plugged it back in and it started working again, so I decided to flash back to stock Netgear FW v1.0.4.18, then did a factory reset from admin page, and everything was working fine.
Turned it off and back on and again bricked.
The only non solid capacitor I see on the board is near the power plug. It doesn't appear to be bulging or leaking, but could it be whats causing the problem?
Any other things I can try?

Serial_reboot.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Serial_reboot.txt
 Filesize:  21.91 KB
 Downloaded:  474 Time(s)

Serial1.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Serial1.txt
 Filesize:  974 Bytes
 Downloaded:  294 Time(s)

merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
phatTweaker wrote:
I have made some progress.

Since I wasn't getting any output from the serial connection I figured I have nothing to loose so why not try pin shorting before tossing the router in the trash.
After reading a post where someone mentions shorting pins 41 & 42 I decided to try it.
I had the cmd ping -t 192.168.1.1 running and after I pin shorted my ping cmd automatically changed to 192.168.1.230 hmmm head scratchier why did it change?
I then looked at the putty window and it was now showing output. woohoo progress!
I then started to ping 192.168.230 and it replied back with ttl=128? hmmm weird..usually with the few routers i've messed with ttl=100 or ttl=64 was the norm.
I decided to power off the router and see if that helped. Nope when I powered back on it was back to no output bricked UGH!
Tried the pin shorting trick a bunch of times with no success. I then unplugged the router and called it a night.
I plugged it back in this morning and boom back in business. not only was I now getting ttl=64 I was able to log in to the webgui and restore defaults (still running Kong DD-WRT).

I am now afraid to shut the router off encase it bricks again.
Should I flash back to the stock Netgear FW?
Is there another version of kong I should flash? I am still running the .chk version, should I flash with a .bin?
Is there a way to have a custom CFE flashed to have a mini websever encase it bricks again?

BTW I have tried leaving the router unplugged over night and it never helped in the past, so I am not sure exactly why it worked this time.
I'm thinking maybe a bad capacitor? or maybe the pin short did something?

attached is 2 boot logs from putty. The first (serial1.txt) is the first output I started getting in putty, it would loop over and over, the second (Serial_reboot.txt) is what putty says when doing a reboot from the dd-wrt gui.

thanks

Edit: Running good for a while then decided to turn it off and back on and its back to being bricked with no serial output.
Unplugged it for a couple hours then plugged it back in and it started working again, so I decided to flash back to stock Netgear FW v1.0.4.18, then did a factory reset from admin page, and everything was working fine.
Turned it off and back on and again bricked.
The only non solid capacitor I see on the board is near the power plug. It doesn't appear to be bulging or leaking, but could it be whats causing the problem?
Any other things I can try?

This seems to be an odd problem to say the least.

When you say that the router is bricked, what exactly do you mean? Is it continously rebooting? What is the status of the LEDs that's if they illuminate at all? What was the IP address and gateway address of your laptop?

Thank you.
phatTweaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
merrow75 wrote:

This seems to be an odd problem to say the least.

When you say that the router is bricked, what exactly do you mean? Is it continuously rebooting? What is the status of the LEDs that's if they illuminate at all? What was the IP address and gateway address of your laptop?

Thank you.

Static IP on PC 192.168.1.10, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1
When it bricks all LAN ports stop working (pc says no network cable connected), no ping response, no output in putty with serial connection, the netgear logo leds are off, the power led is sometimes on sometimes not (lit green), the internet light is usually lit and is amber, and the USB light is lit blue.
Other times it's just the amber internet light and blue USB light.
It doesn't seem to be boot looping as there is no change in the lights, I think it's not booting at all when it's bricked.
When I leave it unplugged for a while and then plug it back in if the strip of LEDs for the netgear logo light up then it becomes pingable, starts outputting in serial console, and boots up and works fine.

I have tried DD-WRT, Tomato, and Netgear firmware and the problem is the same. Bricks every time it's powered off or unplugged.
No problem though if rebooting from the gui

Another odd thing. I have the power brick plugged into a power strip. If I power off by using the on/off switch on the power strip then the router has never come back to life. It only seems to work when I leave the power brick plugged in with the power strip turned on and unplug it from the router.
This would seem like a problem with the power brick, but I have tried a brick from a working Linksys EA6900 which is 12v 3.5a winch should be more then enough and I still have the same problem.

its a real head scratcher

thanks
phatTweaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ordered some 330uF 16v Panasonic FM series caps and they arrived today.
I swapped out the cap and it made no difference. Bricked as soon as I plugged it back in.
The router had been running 24/7 for the past three days in client bridge mode streaming to a HDTV without a single hiccup. I unplugged it and changed the cap, plugged it back in and it is bricked.
I have no doubt I can keep messing with it and it'll come back to life until the next time it's power cycled.

If the cpu, ram, or flash were the culprit you would think the router would randomly lock up or go flaky and not just have problems during power off/on.
It would seem to be a problem in the power circuit but I don't know what tests to do or component to look for.

thanks
Dry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, my Netgear R6250 after the update firmware on tomato by shibby has become constantly flashing green power indicator, attempts to send the original firmware to tftp do not give any result, can anyone have any ideas?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dry wrote:
Hi all, my Netgear R6250 after the update firmware on tomato by shibby has become constantly flashing green power indicator, attempts to send the original firmware to tftp do not give any result, can anyone have any ideas?

Google dd-wrt serial recovery or buy a good router.

Navigation

Jump to: