Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
audioquest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32    Post subject: Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have 50mbps internet speed and I continue to have streaming issues on my VPN. I am using an android box hardwired to the router, I do not use wi-fi
I am unable to stream 1080 5.1 movies or 720 5.1 which I should be. DD-WRT is configured per VPN setup

VPN I am using is in the top 3

When running speedtest I am getting about 45mbps download and 10mbps

I have the latest beta firmware install - R34311

Is there any option that I could enable to increase CPU speed?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
d0ug
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 DD-WRT Reply with quote
audioquest wrote:
I have 50mbps internet speed and I continue to have streaming issues on my VPN. I am using an android box hardwired to the router, I do not use wi-fi
I am unable to stream 1080 5.1 movies or 720 5.1 which I should be. DD-WRT is configured per VPN setup

VPN I am using is in the top 3

When running speedtest I am getting about 45mbps download and 10mbps

I have the latest beta firmware install - R34311

Is there any option that I could enable to increase CPU speed?

Thanks in advance.

45mbps VPN out of a 50mbps connection sounds pretty good. VPN is always going to have some overhead, so you are never going to see the full 50mbps unless you turn off the VPN.

Processor speed should be no issue for running VPN on these routers. If you monitor your CPU usage while doing heavy transfers though the VPN you should see that it probably isn't even getting into the double digits of CPU usage percent.

I run a VPN to private internet access on my WRT1200AC which has a slightly slower CPU and have seen 60-80mbps on my 100mbps internet connection. the speeds do drop down into the 30-40mbps range during "internet primetime", this is likely a combination of a saturated ISP network, and PIA's VPN servers themselves seeing heavy usage during the same time period.
Geraner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which VPN provider are you using?
My recommendation is to always try the use the most near available VPN server of your VPN provider to assure maximum speed and performance. (If possible to set in the settings)

I have recently done a couple of tests with different VPN providers setup in the WRT1900ACSv2 router connected to the Swedish servers and wrote a review about it.

My experience is anyhow that some VPN providers are started been blocked by for example Netflix. Making it impossible to stream Netflix when using a VPN tunnel.

How is the performance compared to run without VPN tunnel?
Did you try to use another server for your VPN provider?
I know for example at AirVPN, there is a huge difference on the performance of the Swedish VPN servers provides. With one I got only 20-30 Mbit/s speed, while others offer over 100 Mbit/s speed without any issues.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 19:12    Post subject: WRT1900ACS V2 Reply Reply with quote
I am using NordVPN, connected to closest server to my area.
When I contacted Nord, this was there reply

The downside to OpenVPN is that in its current architecture, it is not scalable. It runs as a monolithic process and cannot run multi-threaded.

This means that if you have a beefy processor with 8 cores and each of the core has 8 threads, OpenVPN will use only a single thread in one of the available cores.

Regarding routers - they do not have powerful CPUs, thus encrypting and decrypting OpenVPN traffic is a real challenge for them. For that reason the speed can drop by a large amount.

You could try increasing your speed by connecting to a few different servers (preferably to the ones in yours or neighboring country), changing between TCP and UDP, enabling QoS and changing Upload and Download to 100Mbps, disabling SPI Firewall and NAT Acceleration (if your router has one). You could also try looking for the most optimal MTU value on your router which could be in the range from 1300 to 1500.

If these changes do not help and you are getting better speeds while connected to the same servers with our software on your computer, then unfortunately your routers hardware cannot encrypt the internet traffic fast enough and this is the reason for speed drop. In this case there is nothing that I can suggest you unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: