Access OwnCloud on dd-wrt router through a gateway modem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Nuor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:11    Post subject: Access OwnCloud on dd-wrt router through a gateway modem Reply with quote
I imagine this is simple, but searches aren't showing me quite what I need.

I have a comcast router/modem that acts as my internet gateway. I'm not currently running it in bridge mode but instead use it for "guest" connections, directtv etc. I connect my home network to it with a dd-wrt router (netgear1450AC kong 34015). The dd-wrt router has a couple of harddrives that act, among other things, as a NAS.

I recently set up OwnCloud on the dd-wrt (lighttpd). I am able to access OwnCloud directly but I'm unable to access it from outside the local network.

I've enabled dynamic dns and DNS Status shows it is active, but if I try to access owncloud storage using the dns domainname - it doesn't exist.

I have a static ip for the dd-wrt router WAN and reserved that IP on the gateway. I have port forwarding enabled on both gateway (10.0.0.XXX) and dd-wrt (192.168.XXX.XXX) 81 and 443.

I imagine I'm missing something obvious, Unfortunately I'm guessing at much of this if someone could point me to a working example I appreciate the help.

edit: I believe the ip and port for owncloud is not visible to any devices in the gateways domain.

Hmm - I just realized i didn't switch the dd-wrt router from gateway to router maybe that is the reason.

edit2: I set my DHCP server LAN domain to my dd-wrt domain ie 192.168.xxx.xxx and now I am getting a response from my new domain name but it is my gateway not my dd-wrt router ;p
Sponsor
Nuor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great, I'm half way there. I can use the router WAN address with the owncloud port and bring up the owncloud login page.

What I can't do is use the domain name that is linked to that modem's assigned dynamic WAN to reach that same page. I have the router wan address owncloud port forwarded in the gateway but it just times out.

EDIT: I'll just sign up with a ddns service that includes redirection. That will deal with part of the issue.

Edit2: I guess I'll abandon this idea best I can tell I can only open a very few ports on the internet side of this modem/router TG1682g). Port forwarding doesn't work as I would expect if at all.
sideup66
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, when you say you cannot access this, is it only happening within your lan or externally to? The reason I ask is because I noticed that comcast router/modem combos do not allow reverse dns. Unfortunately its a limit of those comcast modems. Why not set the modem to bridge mode and use dd wrt to create a guest wifi (there are options to do this in the gui and isolate it from the lan).
Nuor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can access owncloud from within my network even through the wan address of the dd-wrt router, but it isn't visible through the Comcast modem wan port.

Setting it back to bridge mode was my next step. I was avoiding that because my directv internet connection was balking at connecting from my dd-wrt router and I was short of wired lan ports anyway.

Edit: It works fine with bridge mode. though i can't seem to get Owncloud to accept the Domain name as trusted it only accepts the IP with port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: