Trouble with flashing Netgear WNDR4500 (v1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Quepali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:52    Post subject: Trouble with flashing Netgear WNDR4500 (v1) Reply with quote
Hi

This is my first attempt flashing a router with dd-wrt, and I can't seem to get it correct.

I've collected a lot of information regarding the procedure from https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR4500, the announcements in this forum and from other threads.

The thing is, I reset and upload the firmware as instructed, the router restarts and seems somewhat stuck. It is NOT bricked. While in the state of only one orange light I'm not able to send firmware through TFTP. No ping except for two-three pings at boot after a hard reset.

Tried TFTP during boot with no luck. Done at least a houndred of them. What the router needs is to be in a state of one blinking green light. Somehow I'm able to bring the router back to this state, but I haven't found the correct procedure yet. Last time the router was left in peace with power on for over a week before the state changed. One other time it took between four and six hours, after numerous of different types of restarts and resets.

So... when I get the router back in the correct state flashing with the netgear firmware through TFTP works fine. Downgrading also works fine, but dd-wrt-flashing is not.

The last time I tried was last night. Downgraded to the oldest firmware available, 30-30-30 reset, uploaded firmware through GUI and left the router in peace. Haven't touched it since.

Any clues on what else to try?

Last edited by Quepali on Sun Feb 04, 2018 16:02; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which firmware are you trying to flash?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Which firmware are you trying to flash?

I've tried both "26138 mega for WNDR4500" (on the link above) and beta r34411 from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/. The router behaves the same way with borth firmwares.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is strange. You are flashing from within the Netgear GUI?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
That is strange. You are flashing from within the Netgear GUI?

Yes! I have not yet tried to flash dd-wrt directly through tftp, but I assume it will give the same result.

Downgrading from latest Netgear firmware to earliest available firmware through Netgear GUI was no problem.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this. http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/Initial/dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500.chk

Just flash it from the netgear upgrade tab.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try this. http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/Initial/dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500.chk

Just flash it from the netgear upgrade tab.

I will do that as soon as I get the router up and running again. It might take a week or more (as mentioned in the initial post). I will post a comment with the result.
Quepali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So... I left for a holiday trip on 16th of February. The router var lighting orange when I left. When I got back yesterday late evening, it was finally blinking green again.

Now I flashed it with the earliest firmware I was able to find, version 1.0.0.40_1.0.10. It went ok and the rounter was up and running in only minutes.

Did a 30-30-30 reset, no problems.

Navigated to the firmware upgrade-site in the gui and uploaded the firmware you provided the link for. And the router hangs on orange light again...

I will leave it like this for a while, I think. Every try takes me a long time to recover from.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quepali wrote:

Navigated to the firmware upgrade-site in the gui and uploaded the firmware you provided the link for. And the router hangs on orange light again...

I will leave it like this for a while, I think. Every try takes me a long time to recover from.
If the v1 is anything like the v2...it takes a -long- time to flash and reboot. I'm guessing you've let it go for some time though. Another thought; DD firmware may be hitting some bad flash, that OEM f/w does not. Have you tried accessing the hidden telnet, and checking dmesg? Would be better to hook up serial and see what it says at boot and trying to flash. There have been posts here and there over the years showing bad flash sectors in the log.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Quepali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just noticed that the router now is blinking green again. Guess the flash failed.

jwh7 wrote:
Quepali wrote:

If the v1 is anything like the v2...it takes a -long- time to flash and reboot. I'm guessing you've let it go for some time though. Another thought; DD firmware may be hitting some bad flash, that OEM f/w does not. Have you tried accessing the hidden telnet, and checking dmesg? Would be better to hook up serial and see what it says at boot and trying to flash. There have been posts here and there over the years showing bad flash sectors in the log.

Thank you for the information about the v2-router.

I will check out the telnet-feature some more. Thanks for the tip.

How do you hook up serial to this kind of router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: