WRT3200ACM/DD-WRT and LAN IP assignment issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
jbrink1958
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 0:06    Post subject: WRT3200ACM/DD-WRT and LAN IP assignment issue Reply with quote
Hi good folks, new to this forum.

Purchased a WRT3200ACM and after reading through the advice from many pulled the trigger and flashed with the latest build (34777) after a 30-30-30 reset. Didn't burn op the router Smile. Everything seems to work beautifully but I am seeing something that puzzles me. Upon re-assigning the LAN IP from 1982.168.1.1. to 192.168.x.y. the router seemingly goes off-line and becomes unreachable. I saw that upon the LAN IP change the DHCP fields update nicely, but then the router shows the waiting screen and goes somewhere out there .... it never came back Sad.
Should I stick with 192.168.1.1 or is there a trick to get a new IP address to stick without the router disappearing. I waited in once instance close to what felt 10 minutes for screen updates, but to no avail, sigh. All the other changes that I did (WiFi, VPN etc) were virtually instantaneous.

Thanks for any insight, help etc.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you change the IP on your PC so it matches the new network you set?

For DHCP, do a Release and Renew to get a new address.
ninjaef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same problem last night.

Every time I changed the LAN IP I couldnt connect to the router. Of course I unplugged and replugged the LAN cable to my laptop, renewed the lease manually, restarted the router, restarted laptop. Nothing. After several router reset-button hits I gave up and left it at 192.168.1.1 and changed all my other static IP clients to sit on the same subnet (they were 192.168.2.0/24)

Its a bug - must be - but I've worked round it now
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jbrink1958
Do not do a 30/30/30 reset unless you want to potentially brick your router. Read the threads in my sig for lots of very good info for the newbie to the world of the wrt's.

My guess with the router IP address change is you did not get a correct IP address on the laptop/desktop. Did you check to see that the PC had a new correct IP address? Bet it did not have a correct IP address. On windows you can do a release and renew of the lease to get a new one then verify that it matches your new address scheme. If not then I would set a IP address on the PC and then see if I can ping the router. If so you should then be able to access it. If not then you have not done something that needs to be done. If you can with the statically assigned address then verify that the dhcp address range is correct for you new scheme.

I have readdressed dd-wrt routers and know it can be done.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
@jbrink1958
Do not do a 30/30/30 reset unless you want to potentially brick your router. Read the threads in my sig for lots of very good info for the newbie to the world of the wrt's.

My guess with the router IP address change is you did not get a correct IP address on the laptop/desktop. Did you check to see that the PC had a new correct IP address? Bet it did not have a correct IP address. On windows you can do a release and renew of the lease to get a new one then verify that it matches your new address scheme. If not then I would set a IP address on the PC and then see if I can ping the router. If so you should then be able to access it. If not then you have not done something that needs to be done. If you can with the statically assigned address then verify that the dhcp address range is correct for you new scheme.

I have readdressed dd-wrt routers and know it can be done.

Can you check your PM?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:

Can you check your PM?

Just now. Thanks for the offer, but happy with the Netgear r8000p doing the heavy lifting and the wrt3200 sitting on shelf not in use.

Since BS has a r8000p according to Kong, I am hoping for a build for it before too long. Then wait for Kong to fix things and get a good build out.

--bill

aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
good move, it'll be there eventually anyway down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
aairon wrote:

Can you check your PM?

Just now. Thanks for the offer, but happy with the Netgear r8000p doing the heavy lifting and the wrt3200 sitting on shelf not in use.

Since BS has a r8000p according to Kong, I am hoping for a build for it before too long. Then wait for Kong to fix things and get a good build out.

--bill

I have been looking at that same router Bill, just wasn't sure it would ever see DD-Wrt.
I saw were you donated for support on that model over in the Broadcom forum.
I just don't want to get sucked into a unit that won't get updated or have any support down the road several years from now.
Anyway glad to here it's working well for ya!

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
This why i recommend the r7800 coz its mainstream Kong router now with almost two years of support with constant improvements and updates.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 19:53    Post subject: WRT3200ACM/DD-WRT and LAN IP assignment issue (solved) Reply with quote
Dear all,

This turns out was my fault. What I failed to recognize is that the DHCP server on the router adjusts as well but it takes a while for my laptop to get a new IP address.

Thanks all.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 20:00    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM/DD-WRT and LAN IP assignment issue (solved) Reply with quote
jbrink1958 wrote:
Dear all,

This turns out was my fault. What I failed to recognize is that the DHCP server on the router adjusts as well but it takes a while for my laptop to get a new IP address.

Thanks all.

Well that's good news, we all got to burn up some electrons while discussing it. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark1958 wrote:
I have been looking at that same router Bill, just wasn't sure it would ever see DD-Wrt.
I saw were you donated for support on that model over in the Broadcom forum.
I just don't want to get sucked into a unit that won't get updated or have any support down the road several years from now.
Anyway glad to here it's working well for ya!

There still is a chance that the r8000p will not be supported. Depends on Brainslayer. I think he has one in house, but do not know how he decides what to focus on for a new build. He will do initial build as I understand things and then assuming Kong has a r8000p then he will do a build.
If I wanted dd-wrt on a great router today, I would probably recommend getting a Netgear r7800 or Asus AC86U. Both get excellent reviews. Also the r8000 is supported by Kong just not the r8000p.
--bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: