Any ideas when there will be MU-MIMO support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
JoeyDee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 22:12    Post subject: Any ideas when there will be MU-MIMO support? Reply with quote
Hi all,

I recently bit the bullet and replaced my main WRT3200ACM with a Ubiquiti AP-AC-HD. I absolutely love it so far. Anyways, I'm using a WRT3200ACM as a 5GHz bridge for my Shield TV unit, so it gets a much, much better connection. However, I've recently made the switch to WPA2 Enterprise thanks to Ubiquiti's USG firewall having the option for a RADIUS server.

I put the WRT3200acm back to stock firmware for MU-MIMO support, and have it on a WPA2 SSID for now.

My question is, does anyone know when MU-MIMO support might be coming to DD-WRT for these routers, so I can have DD-WRT bridge the WPA2 Enterprise ssid?

Thanks!
Sponsor
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
It will be a very long time according to the folks who would be in charge of that.
Months if ever.
Very low priority given by the powers that be @ Marvel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that's horrible. I've been really disappointed with the Marvell WRT's since my first WRT1900ac when they first came out...

Do you know if MU-Mimo even works with the stock firmware? I haven't tested it yet. They advertised it on the box...
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
JoeyDee wrote:
Well that's horrible. I've been really disappointed with the Marvell WRT's since my first WRT1900ac when they first came out...

Do you know if MU-Mimo even works with the stock firmware? I haven't tested it yet. They advertised it on the box...

Thats a good question the folks over at the linksys user forum may know, One would need to test if it's really working and not just allowing you to enter settings and be made to appear to be working, this has happened before.

It should prove challenging to do a real test of MU-MIMO

I would love to see the setup, as we know it's not as simple as testing one client throughput on one single stream..
The multiple clients would ALL need to be MU-MIMO compliant.
A Japanese company named Anritsu Makes just such a device to test this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting article about testing MU MIMO and concluding that there is not much of improvement. He uses test equipment we can only dream about for testing.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo?start=1

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
This pretty much sums up why it's so low on the priority list as to be non existent.

Quote:
This is why I don't waste time testing MU-MIMO anymore. For most cases, it provides no significant benefit. And in other cases, it can result in degraded Wi-Fi throughput.

If you're one of the few who have a MU-MIMO router and devices that are boosting total throughput in your network, congratulations! But most of us are not that person.

Navigation

Jump to: