New Kong's test build: DD-WRT 34800M - 2018/02/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
maguvu wrote:
I also have the right to alert people on risk they are taking installing this crappy firmwares and this forum is the best place to do it.

dragonC wrote:

Second that. This person's choice is to be respected, as much as his words to be despised. The builds are clearly labeled TEST/beta -- so yes I would say there is a reasonable expectation one is installing these as 'tests' or 'betas'.

Seek help if you need, leave if you don't like the free software, make a build yourself if you are capable, or hire someone to if you want.

Bugs are unfortunately natural part of engineering development, but incendiary attitude like this is not a necessary flaw of human character.

You sure do. To that end, I'd suggest to state your observations clearly, factually, and with actionable specifics. As an example, something like below is actionable both to the devs and the people you want to alert:

"[Certain unexpected behaviors] are observed in [BS/<kong> build#] with [your specific action or settings]."

To top it off, you can even title your thread as [ALERT: DO NOT USE], and include all details within your post to make sure your alert does come across. Name your problem, but be courteous and show respect - I am certain "this forum is the best place to do it".

Your remark unfortunately lacks the specific facts/details necessary for someone to assess their risk based on your statements. As a broad blanket adjective (i.e. "crappy"), it is neither actionable nor measurable, and falls short of your stated goal to "alert people on risk they are taking"

On the other hand, if your goal is to rant, just say so and admit it honestly that is what you want to do. It is still very much within your right to rant, but I vehemently disagree that "this forum is the best place to do it".

P.S. by the way, it is also reasonable to say all the above is a lot of work (it is), and you don't have time for all that. In that case I, as many of us here I believe, would be grateful if you could choose to not spend the time to post in the first place.

Last edited by dragonC on Mon Feb 12, 2018 16:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
imalilteapot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragonC wrote:
maguvu wrote:
I also have the right to alert people on risk they are taking installing this crappy firmwares and this forum is the best place to do it.

dragonC wrote:

Second that. This person's choice is to be respected, as much as his words to be despised. The builds are clearly labeled TEST/beta -- so yes I would say there is a reasonable expectation one is installing these as 'tests' or 'betas'.

Seek help if you need, leave if you don't like the free software, make a build yourself if you are capable, or hire someone to if you want.

Bugs are unfortunately natural part of engineering development, but incendiary attitude like this is not a necessary flaw of human character.

You sure do. To that end, I'd suggest to state your observations clearly, factually, and with actionable specifics. As an example, something like below is actionable both to the devs, and the people you want to alert:

"[Certain unexpected behaviors] are observed in [BS/<kong> build#] with [your specific action or settings]."

To top it off, you can even title your thread as [ALERT: DO NOT USE], and include all details within your post to make sure your alert does come across. Name your problem, but be courteous and show respect - I am certain "this forum is the best place to do it".

Your remark unfortunately lacks the specific facts/details necessary for someone to assess their risk based on your statements. As a broad blanket adjective (i.e. "crappy"), it is neither actionable nor measurable, and falls short of your stated goal to "alert people on risk they are taking"

On the other hand, if your goal is to rant, just say so and admit that is your honest purpose. It is still very much within your right to rant, but I vehemently disagree that "this forum is the best place to do it".

P.S. by the way, it is also reasonable to say all the above is a lot of work (it is), and you don't have time for all that. In that case I, as many of us here I believe, would be grateful if you could choose to not spend the time to post in the first place.

Well put. The best post I've seen so far in response to someone unhappy. Thank you.

13 ports forwarded
DDNS enabled
No QOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: