Bricked - 30/30/30 & 3x power cycle not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
pruckelshaus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36    Post subject: Bricked - 30/30/30 & 3x power cycle not working Reply with quote
WRT1900AC v.1, flashed to dd-WRT to avoid the "smart wifi" BS. I would call myself a somewhat knowledgeable amateur and ran dd-wrt on my old wrt-54g.

Lost ability to connect to the router. Only power and e-sata lights on front panel come on, no wifi lights and no network port lights when anything is plugged into the switch. AP does not show in available wifi networks. Trying to connect directly to the 1900AC via an ethernet cable is a no-go.

I have tried everything I could think of:
1) Simple 10s reset button, power off, and power on
2) 30/30/30 several times
3) 3x power cycle method

I thought the 3x power cycle method would work no matter what, but the problem is that turning on the power to the router the power light comes on and stays on steady immediately.

I'm stuck. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Sponsor
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes you can try to connect to the serial port on board the 1900 you can google it along with dd-wrt and you'll come up with some good reading.
You should be good to go in less then a couple of hours.

If you don't have the cable, that's covered in the stuff you'll find when you google.

P.S. had you read the header at the very top of these forums you might have spotted the post where it says something to the effect of DO NOT EVER DO A 30-30-30 RESET TO THESE NEW ROUTERS!
But maybe not I guess, apparently it's a sure fire way to brick your router. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep if those two sticky's at the top of the forum page were snake's in the grass, you would have been bit. lol
Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
@pruckelshaus. Yes hi welcome its nice to meet you too.
Common courtesy first is a better way of opening a dialog. Wink

Being that my primary router is a v1 I can tell you from personal knowledge its almost impossible to truly brick it. As @aairon put it there's plenty of reading on recovery. If you don't have a usb-ttl adapter you should get one, get two they're cheap enough so you have a backup, its an absolute necessity for flash recovery.

The power light and esata light on is an improper flash is all that happened and if you haven't baked both partitions you're probably doing the 3x power cycle improperly. Ive been there loads of times.

UpTime:
03:51:00 up 19 days, 7:15, load average: 1.43, 1.37, 1.34
Can't tell you how many times ive screwed mine up, but its still working.
Go forth and recover Very Happy

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
Mark1958
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark1958 wrote:
Yep if those two sticky's at the top of the forum page were snake's in the grass, you would have been bit. lol

The reason I posted lol is for one reason, this exact procedure was brought up on Linksys own site and the Guru Chadster766 over there posted and I quote:

"(This is just for clerification: With WRTXXXX models a 30/30/30 reset won't cause the router to brick and isn't really a problem to try.)"

Do I agree? No but I'm not a Linksys rep, and tend to believe the Guru's in this forum have good reason to advice not to perform this procedure, number one being experience!!!
But in this day an age of the internet, there is a wealth of information out there and you need to take some of it with a grain of salt.
Google is a powerful tool but it can also get ya in trouble!!!
If I wanted to flash DD-Wrt on my router, I would go to their site and do my home work and ask questions even if I thought it was a dumb question.
And yes I would tend to go with their methodology. (again experience)
So maybe the OP read that post and thought that procedure was safe, but had he done a little reading on DD-Wrt's firmware on DD-Wrt sight about the router
they want to flash they would have seen it is not advised.
Was it caused by 30-30-30 reset I don't know, what I do know is if the OP does their home work they can most certainly recover their router.

Link to quote: https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT3200ACM-and-WRT32X-Firmware-update-available-1-11-2018/m-p/1271523

Edit: once grammar

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was, just for fun reading a very old thread titled DD-WRT Great Misconceptions.

In there is a entry by Eko about the 30/30/30 reset. Even back in December 2009 it was not a recommended way for reset. Keep in mind there is a reset button on the WRT's. Just an fyi for newbies, Eko used to be a developer and I have run his builds
Quote:
3) 30-30-30 reset: As this works on some routers (mostly Linksys); it will not do anything in general. Every router has it's own method to reset it. The only common method is "Restore to factory defaults" in GUI.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
unbelievable.

2009 the advice was to not do the 30-30-30.

9 years later............lol......... geez louise.....

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
unbelievable.

2009 the advice was to not do the 30-30-30.

9 years later............lol......... geez louise.....

Avocados and lettuce were a lot cheaper!

I really do feel bad for that person though, a serial cable will do it, or if they're persistent they can use the power on off even with the power led staying on while waiting four seconds every time and going on the forth.

As long as he didn't overwrite both partitions, though it seems a likely possibility.

Navigation

Jump to: