[Resolved] Pi-hole and ddwrt settings

sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 21:42    Post subject: [Resolved] Pi-hole and ddwrt settings Reply with quote
Hello there . I really need your help guys .I cant make pi-hole to work from 2 days now. I have a router linksys wrt1200ac with ddwrt installed and probably there's some setting that cause a conflict even if i didnt remember to have change something in the last 2 months. I tried reinstall pi hole , change even the rom of the raspberry(from osmc to pidiet) but nothing. After i have configured it when i put to the router the ip of the raspberry as dns , the pi hole web page doesn't seem to open anymore and even the web interface of the Nas (Network error occurred. Check your DNS and network settings) and plex isn't accessible anymore too. I tried change some settings on the router but i didnt seem to understand good what are all the DNSMasq options so i attach 2 screenshots with my configuration. After i put the google dns on the router page all devices seems to work again .If it can be helped (i don't know if it can affect in certain way) there's also a vpn configured with Policy based Routing for certain clients in the router. i cant even ssh in the raspberry . From the raspberry . I checked /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf and the nameserver with 8.8.8.8 are there. Moreover if i dig www.google.com it seems that is resolved without problem . I'm almost sure that the problem is a ddwrt. Someone can give me his lights? Im really desperate to make it work again without installing pi-hole on the nas as the i loose the hibernation option then.

[img] http://imgur.com/a/UhLh2 [/img]

Last edited by sesshomaru86 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Acumen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe there are some errors in the basic netwrk settings. I'd suggest to set the gateway and DNS to 0.0.0.0 and see what happens.

First step is to get your config running again.
Next step is using Pi-Hole, which I guess will work fine, because you've set the DNS Server at your DHCP settings.

Found a bug, report it so the it can be fixed: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Acumen wrote:
I believe there are some errors in the basic netwrk settings. I'd suggest to set the gateway and DNS to 0.0.0.0 and see what happens.

First step is to get your config running again.
Next step is using Pi-Hole, which I guess will work fine, because you've set the DNS Server at your DHCP settings.

Thanx for the suggestions . At then end i resolved the issue disable the dhcp server on the router and activating the one in the raspberry in the pihole interface. So no conflicts and everything is faster.
sesshomaru86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also another nice solution as mentioned by graysky2 in the pihole forum

"I think the most general and “best” method on DD-WRT is to:
Services>services>Additional DNSMasq Options:
dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.250

No other changes on DD-WRT are needed. Substitute the IP of your pi-hole for the 192.168.1.250 above. Why do it this way? 3 reasons:

Per-host tracking on Pi-hole (i.e. logging of DNS requests tied to individual machines by their respective hostnames).
The ability to resolve hostnames on the LAN.
Ad blocking/network monitoring provided by Pi-hole."

Thought it's worth posting even here in case people have the same problem . Cheers !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: