Virgin UK very slow VPN speeds SuperHub 3 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42    Post subject: Virgin UK very slow VPN speeds SuperHub 3 help Reply with quote
Very very poor vpn through speed on Virgin UK broadband.
My mate purchased a r7000 to use as a vpn gateway using openvpn client after seeing my set up, i helped him flash it and configure it for pia vpn.
But when he runs a speed test he gets 180 down without vpn and 30 with vpn.
i got him to test the chrome plugin and that's fine very little speed loss, but from my research says its only really a proxy that hides his ip not an encrypted tunnel to stop isp looking at any streaming hes doing.
he brought the dd-wrt to my house last night and i am on BT 80/20 and its pulling 62 from my 68 download speed.
so i concluded it was virgin problem, after googling the problem and looking at the thousands of people suffering with the same problem i am unsure what to try next.
virgin say they do not throttle vpn's but the thousand odd posts about the problem seems to suggest otherwise unless the problem lies with ddos flood protection which i cant turn off to test.
so my question has anyone here got around this problem?
i thought maybe set sh3 in modem mode but then i am unsure how to configure the wan side of the dd-wrt and i can obviously not log in to do this as it will cut me off any remote desktop, so i would need to configure the dd-wrt correctly before switching the sh3 into modem mode.
any help would really be appreciated
thanks
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange, there are thousands of posts about this issue all over the internet with most VPN providers names and people reporting trying different providers with the same issue, i thought someone may have had a solution on here.
i can only think there is no solution?
if the Superhub 3 is place into modem mode is the wan settings on DD-WRT left in dhcp?
any ideas anyone?
Just wanted to test this for him before he's committed to the VPN at mo he can get money back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: