HTTPS Connection Not Secure (Linksys WRT1900AC v1)

dmonds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:04    Post subject: HTTPS Connection Not Secure (Linksys WRT1900AC v1) Reply with quote
Ok, so wierd issue with Acer laptop at home.

My daughter cam to me yesterday and said she could not bring up a simple google page...she was getting "This page not secure" message. (jpg attached)

Long story short...after spending most of last night removing crap and re-installing AV etc I though, that's it, need to blow the laptop away and reformat/reinstall.

This evening, just before I blew the laptop away, I decided to connect it to the wireless access point via an ethernet cable...and yes, the Google page came up perfectly.

Issue must be with wireless config.

I use the services tab to create custom DHCP assigned IPAddresses and set DNS servers. (config attached)

When I exclude her laptop ("MelsLaptop" in the config), everything works perfectly over wifi as well.

I struggled with this and tried lots of different DNS servers IP addresses etc...but in the end when I was about to pull my hair out, I power cycled the access point.

Everything works as expected now.

So, what's going on here?

I have the router soft reboot every night and this obviously didn't fix the issue, but a hard power cycle did.

Is this a case of memory leakage or random corruption somwhere (DNSMasq perhaps)?

If no-one can advise me what's going on, I hope at least this helps other people who stumble across similar random issues.

Cheers
Sponsor
dmonds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Not really much to go on here. Not obvious why DNSMasq itself would be the issue, unless having restarted it cleared up a memory leak or other problem it was creating. Perhaps if you had killed some other arbitrary, non-vital process, it would have cleared up the problem just as well.

Probably...but which to choose?

eibgrad wrote:
I assume once you cold rebooted you were able to continue using "MelsLaptop" in the DNSMasq config.

Correct.

eibgrad wrote:
Did other wireless users have the same problem?

Nope.

eibgrad wrote:
Did other browsers besides Firefox have the same problem?

Yes. Edge and Internet explorer displayed the exact same issue. In fact every single search engine that I tried had this issue across the three browsers.

eibgrad wrote:
Did you check the status page for anything unusually, like memory exhaustion? High CPU load?

No. I didn't think to do that...will do next time it crops up.

eibgrad wrote:
I realize you probably didn't do these things, you just wanted to get it working again. But if this becomes a recurring problem, you'll need to dig a bit deeper. Because it sounds like something others would have a hard time reproducing.

Agreed and thanks for your feedback.

Cheers
dmonds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: