iOS and Incorrect Passwords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
dbell68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:12    Post subject: iOS and Incorrect Passwords Reply with quote
Wondering if anyone can confirm whether the problem of iOS devices failing to join and reporting incorrect password error has been resolved by recent builds of either Kong or BS ?

I was seeing this a lot a couple of months ago on my R8500, so much so that I went back to stock FW.

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsor
imalilteapot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've experienced this problem with my iPhone and my 2.4ghz connection, but never on the 5ghz connection. This is on my R8000. I can say that as of recent, with Kong builds 34800 and 34900, I don't see this happening anymore.

Personally, I've had the best luck with build 34800, and it can be downloaded here http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/34800

13 ports forwarded
DDNS enabled
No QOS
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
doesn't happen here on R7000, R6300v2 or E3000. we have around 10 iPhones 3 iPads and 3 android devices.

i noticed it once when i was walking and was almost out of range (very low signal) in which the phone couldn't connect and showed the incorrect password message, once i walked closer to the door and was in range, phone auto-connected.
slice1900
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never seen this with my iPhone or anyone else's connecting to my networks.

A few years back I was having some wifi issues with my iPhone that no one else was having, the fix was "reset network settings" in the Settings app. You will lose your saved wifi SSIDs and passwords and need to re-enter them.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here, never happened on any of the routers from my sig, various generations of iPhones.
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
dbell68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I suspect this is related to what I think is a hw fault in the early generation of the R8500, where one of the 5Ghz radios will drop suddenly and fairly repeatedly. If you watch a signal trace from an android phone with something like wireless analyzer you see the signal drops.

I think if the iOS device was associated with that radio then when it tries to reconnect it fails with the incorrect password error when running kong or bs builds.

In the stock firmware, the radio would drop most consistently with smart connect enabled, but I don't see iOS complaining of incorrect passwords in that case.

The radios are definitely more stable with stock firmware and no smart connect than with kong or bs builds.

So, I think it is both the R8500 hw combined with how the firmware reacts to the radio drop, which manifests the iOS problem.

PS I do see similar drops in 2.4Ghz from time to time but the iOS devices are very rarely connected to that rado.
dbell68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
But if that was all that was going on, I would see the same behaviour with stock NetGear firmware and I haven't seen one occurrence of this since I went back to it.

That is why I think the DDWRT firmware bears some responsibility in this.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbell68 wrote:
But if that was all that was going on, I would see the same behaviour with stock NetGear firmware and I haven't seen one occurrence of this since I went back to it.

Well it's a bug that appears when the signal is already useless... Don't think it will get priority at all but of course feel free to file a ticket.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
linust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25    Post subject: Share the issue... but well in range Reply with quote
I experience the same issue, on R7000.

On iPhone, iPad, etc. But this is when I am well in range (5M) and with line-of-sight.

Tried multiple versions, and with nvram clearing etc.

My setup (not sure if all relevant)
    Separate Guest WLAN on WL0.1, with Network Isolation
    Separate Guest VLAN (one port)
    DNSMasq used for IP addresses in both default LAN/WLAN and the Guest
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have not noticed this problem until I upgraded to the latest Kong build.
In my case I get problems when accessing the router through Google Chrome but not with Safari. Does not seem to be WiFi-related in my case

Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbell68 wrote:
linust wrote:
I experience the same issue, on R7000.
What wireless settings have you changed after resetting? Don't use Auto channel nor "*-Only" Wireless Network Modes. Try N/AC-Mixed or whatever it is; if that doesn't help, try Mixed, if that doesn't help try Ack Timing = 0 (if that setting is available on your model).
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
vvmaks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:03    Post subject: Re: iOS and Incorrect Passwords Reply with quote
dbell68 wrote:
Wondering if anyone can confirm whether the problem of iOS devices failing to join and reporting incorrect password error has been resolved by recent builds of either Kong or BS ?

I was seeing this a lot a couple of months ago on my R8500, so much so that I went back to stock FW.

Thanks for any insight.

Confirmed.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 (10/10/1Cool
iPhone XS and iPad Mini fail to connect to the Guest network with the "incorrect password" message.

I found a reliable way to reproduce the problem (after I solved it the first time):

1. Enable QoS
2. Select Interface Priority: wl0.1 and wl1.1

iOS devices fail to connect with "incorrect password" even after I would delete Interface Priority and disable QoS.

Solution: disable WWM (Wireless > WLx-Advanced), and turn it back on.
Kedarnath93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 17:30    Post subject: Re: iOS and Incorrect Passwords Reply with quote
The configured password is a much-needed thing for security concern. The devices remember the password once after the initial login and you don’t need to enter the password each time. Chances are high that you may not pay attention to remember the passwords other than your home network. Apple is keen about the security and at times, you may find difficult to find WiFi password on iPhone.
rout44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:51    Post subject: Re: iOS and Incorrect Passwords Reply with quote
jxm wrote:
I have a Netgear R8000, and this happens to me quite often,

All of our iPhones and iPads consistently report “Incorrect Password” and fail to connect when I try to establish a connection from outside wifi range.

If I am within range I never have any problems connecting or staying connected.

Hi there. I have the exact same problem with my R8000. Running the latest official firmware.

Every time I come home from work, my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro refuse to sign onto my 5GHz network automatically. I have to do it manually, but it tells me I have the wrong password about ten to 15 times...but then suddenly works! I've tried typing it in, sharing it from another iOS device, and inputting it from 1Password and iCloud. Every time it says it's incorrect, until it suddenly works. Bizarre.

I'm definitely within the range of the router, it's in my living room right when I come in the door. This also happens to my roommate with his iPhone.

Judging by this discussion thread, flashing DD-WRT firmware won't help, this seems to be an iOS issue? I've even been looking at buying a new router, but if it's the iOS, then that likely won't help?

I'm lost as to what to try next. I've reset the Network Settings on the iPad, but I've tried that before and it didn't help. Thanks for any ideas, everybody.
rout44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:58    Post subject: incorrect password, how I solved it... Reply with quote
Ended up reflashing my R8000 with the latest factory firmware. This solved the 'incorrect password' problem.

But, then all my wireless devices were limited to about 30mbps. Seems to be a fairly common issue with Netgear stuff based on my limited searching.

Anyway, I bought a new router, and now I've got full speeds and no 'incorrect password' issues.

Not a great solution for the budget-conscious, but well worth it to me to make these problems go away.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: